The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Is Schmidt on the move?

Me_

1 minute ago, RWMc1 said:

I was actually going off of a segment of HNIC where he stated that it was so bad for some players because certain media members hounded them with negativity to the point that they didn't even want to speak with them.

In general, or Vancouver specifically? I can see some players getting tired of the banal questions that some media ask them. 

1 minute ago, 4petesake said:

When you have time give this link a listen. It’s the longer version of that show and the media part starts at about 9 mins, and more specific to issues with them at about 13 mins.

https://pmd.sportsnet650.ca/audio_on_demand/kevin-bieksa-with-mike-and-jason-hb-20210419-Interview.mp3

Once again, thank you.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

I was actually going off of a segment of HNIC where he stated that it was so bad for some players because certain media members hounded them with negativity to the point that they didn't even want to speak with them.

Yes he talks about that in the full version that I just posted. Really interesting piece.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

Hmm...

On one hand, you said they report what they hear, not "tow the company line". On the other hand, you said it would be "extremely boring" if they reported stuff that was 100 percent accurate.

Then you said that stirring up controversy sells papers (something we all suspected), while you claim that Vancouver media has ethics.

Ok buddy. You've thoroughly contradicted yourself.

Why are you so offended by the media being criticized? ;) Millennials....

Why is there a zero sum approach to reporting? Why is it that "being a homer" can't sell a paper? The fact that people buy a controversial story is exploiting people's psychology. In other words, this demonstrates, and you've confirmed this, that the media doesn't care about having ethics, so long as they sell papers.

Also, what is it about reporting accurately that makes you somehow "a homer"? So many questions.... @wallstreetamigo

I’m so excited for the response. This should be good. 

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RWMc1 said:

Perhaps the best or only way to keep the hacks honest or at bay (for a moment).

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

On 7/6/2021 at 10:10 AM, Provost said:

That is objectively wrong.

The vast bulk of "boomer" wealth they didn't lift a finger to earn as it was just housing inflation.  

Tell that to my friends who were/still are tradies especially the brickies.

If you want to " cohort" me I was born at the end of the boomers or the beginning of Gen X. 

I worked as a builder's labourer,a brickies labourer,a plumbers labourers labourer-digging $#@#holes.

I "ran" garbage back when you physically had to pick up the bin.

I have since taken over the family farm my parents who had to clear the land and worked up to 16 hours a day sometimes to build up.

If you really want to inform yourself on generational inequality read the article I posted in reply to Jimmy McGill. 

Edited by Ilunga

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

suspect that journalists are given some info in exchange for 'good behavior'. The ones who don't exercise good behaviour are gonna be either given bad info, or they'll be forced to make it up.

Bob Mackenzie talked about this when he was on Spittin’ Chiclets a while back. He talked about his duty as a media person to respect the organizations and their front offices, and in return they’ll treat him better and be a little more forthcoming. He said the same thing about dealing with players as a media person. 

• Cheers 3

10 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

with respect, yes it was much easier to find a good job and get a home in the 80s and 90s, at least here in North America. Maybe it was different in Oz, not sure. 

Thanks for the respect Jim.

That article just points out that there has always been generational inequality.

What I know for a fact is since our countries enacted legislation that allowed for "trickle down economics" the opposite has occured.

There are more working poor and the middle class is shrinking 

What has me worried and schimdting my pants is if interest rates go up.

Over here in Aus Boomers had to service their loans at 17 percent interest rates.

While for sure the loans where way smaller it was still a burden to many of my friends at the time.

ATM interest rates are very low on huge loans both for people and governments.

If they go up even by a couple of percent,which they eventually will margins are so tight in regards to household spending we will all suffer.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Sean Monahan said:

Bob Mackenzie talked about this when he was on Spittin’ Chiclets a while back. He talked about his duty as a media person to respect the organizations and their front offices, and in return they’ll treat him better and be a little more forthcoming. He said the same thing about dealing with players as a media person. 

Good context; and with anything that has to do with human interaction - you have to earn your reputation.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

No one in this thread has claimed to "know more than any of them [insiderzzz]". What a strawman you created there!

Except that by stating they are lying, clickbaiting, full of crap, etc you are claiming to know more than they do… otherwise you are just basing those opinions on your imagination and should preface all your comments as such… like “Coming from a place of pure ignorance of the subject, it is my opinion that the story about Ian Clark being unlikely to re-sign with the Canucks is not true… but again I have no evidence, experience, or insider knowledge to back up that claim.”

… but instead it is…

”Dhaliwal is a lying idiot who is just making up clickbait stories about Ian Clark not re-signing… he is a trash media member.”

All of us know effectively zero about the inner workings of the league… so what possible logical thinking could lead you to believe that you would have any legitimate insight to make judgments on the relative merits of what people who actually do have more knowledge of the subject?

All of the local/national media people rub shoulders daily during the season with players, agents, and members of various organizations.   None of us have a fraction of that access.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

Thanks for the respect Jim.

That article just points out that there has always been generational inequality.

What I know for a fact is since our countries enacted legislation that allowed for "trickle down economics" the opposite has occured.

There are more working poor and the middle class is shrinking 

What has me worried and schimdting my pants is if interest rates go up.

Over here in Aus Boomers had to service their loans at 17 percent interest rates.

While for sure the loans where way smaller it was still a burden to many of my friends at the time.

ATM interest rates are very low on huge loans both for people and governments.

If they go up even by a couple of percent,which they eventually will margins are so tight in regards to household spending we will all suffer.

Real world issues that the avg person should be made aware off

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

Tell that to my friends who were/still are tradies especially the brickies.

If you want to " cohort" me I was born at the end of the boomers or the beginning of Gen X. 

I worked as a builder's labourer,a brickies labourer,a plumbers labourers labourer-digging $#@#holes.

I "ran" garbage back when you physically had to pick up the bin.

I have since taken over the family farm my parents who had to clear the land and worked up to 16 hours a day sometimes to build up.

If you really want to inform yourself on generational inequality read the article I posted in reply to Jimmy McGill. 

“Some people earned some of their money” is not a rational counterpoint to my comment.

Wealth isn’t what you earned and spent.  The bulk of boomer wealth has been due to real estate inflation.  When you took out a $50,000 mortgage and now your house is worth $800,000… it is a stretch to say you earned that, certainly not when making the argument that millennials didn’t earn anything.

Add in the fact that the same boomer population started their working careers with national debts of just in the hundreds of dollars per person, but are finishing their working careers with tens of thousands per person in national debt… and those same people basically lived off government credit cards where they charged government services that they didn’t want to pay taxes for.

• RoughGame 1

19 minutes ago, Provost said:

Except that by stating they are lying, clickbaiting, full of crap, etc you are claiming to know more than they do… otherwise you are just basing those opinions on your imagination and should preface all your comments as such… like “Coming from a place of pure ignorance of the subject, it is my opinion that the story about Ian Clark being unlikely to re-sign with the Canucks is not true… but again I have no evidence, experience, or insider knowledge to back up that claim.”

… but instead it is…

”Dhaliwal is a lying idiot who is just making up clickbait stories about Ian Clark not re-signing… he is a trash media member.”

All of us know effectively zero about the inner workings of the league… so what possible logical thinking could lead you to believe that you would have any legitimate insight to make judgments on the relative merits of what people who actually do have more knowledge of the subject?

All of the local/national media people rub shoulders daily during the season with players, agents, and members of various organizations.   None of us have a fraction of that access.

Is that how you arrive at conclusions? Laughable.

I never once stated nor suggested that I had inside knowledge of the Hughes incident, or anything else that the media reported on. What I can do is be skeptical when Hughes refuted the story. Moreover, Bieksa said (and I'm paraphrasing) "If you can't get it right, don't report it." There are other incidents historically that suggest that the media is either incompetent at verifying their sources, or according to wallstreetamigo himself who initially defended the media, has said that the media has to "stir up" controversy to sell papers.

It's not that I am determining that the media is bad from my sources. I am determining them to be bad because other more reputable sources say they are doing a terrible job at reporting.

Moreover, I have debunked wallstreetamigo's claim that the media is ethical. No they're not. If they were, they wouldn't have leaked Hughes' name out, even if he was *really* on IV. So much for privacy.

And seriously, wallstreetamigo says it best himself, it would be "extremely boring" (his words) if the media reported everything as 100 percent verifiable. :rolleyes:

Edited by Dazzle
  • Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Provost said:

“Some people earned some of their money” is not a rational counterpoint to my comment.

Wealth isn’t what you earned and spent.  The bulk of boomer wealth has been due to real estate inflation.  When you took out a $50,000 mortgage and now your house is worth $800,000… it is a stretch to say you earned that, certainly not when making the argument that millennials didn’t earn anything.

Add in the fact that the same boomer population started their working careers with national debts of just in the hundreds of dollars per person, but are finishing their working careers with tens of thousands per person in national debt… and those same people basically lived off government credit cards where they charged government services that they didn’t want to pay taxes for.

The current financial has certainly benefitted the previous generation(s) (especially, the baby boomers) - it all works, until you run out of OPM.  Just like the media industry the (current) financial system is collapsing - and in this case, it is collapsing under the weight of debt.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Like 1