The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So - Who Should The Canucks Take At The Number 9 Spot?

Rate this topic

Patel Bure

There is a few different combinations possible of players that could be available 

BUF - Power - The obvious you'd think

SEA -  Beniers - top C available

ANA-  Guenther - a top line RW that scores, perfect to play with Zegres

NJ - Clarke - I think it is too early for NJ to pick Hughes. You don't pick a brother if he isn't BPA, especially in top 10

This is where it gets interesting. I'll do players in order of which player I think they'd pick. I know CLB,DET,SJS scout heavily European players. 

Clb - Edvinsson/Eklund

Det - Wallstedt/Eklund

Sjs - Eklund/Wallstedt/MacTavish 

La - Hughes/MacTavish

VAN - Johnson/McTavish 

We are so close to getting Luke Hughes, the problem is LA is stacked at C with Turcotte,Byfield, and Valardi (all top 12 picks) so they are set down the middle. We need a Defensemen badly so it is disappointing one won't be there when we pick, at least in our range. Johnson is interesting as the cupboard on the left as it is bare after Hoglander. MacTavish is also a option, however, I'm not a fan of more goals then assists in a C. Horvat already is shoot first C, we need playmaking C. Also he isn't a fast skater, which is concerning. At the NHL he won't be able to do a lot of what he did in Junior. 

I wouldn't mind trading the pick for a young player from another team or moving down and picking up some 2nd rounders. There will be great players available. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

All it would take is one team like Columbus stretching and taking McTavish or Johnson with their pick to throw the whole thing off.

Then all of a sudden Detroit takes Edvinsson, San Jose takes Eklund, and LA can’t pass on a goalie so they take Wallstedt.

All of a sudden Hughes is there at 9.

CBJ does need to replace PLD... that actually seems possible. 

28 minutes ago, Provost said:

I take Reinhart (with an extension signed) and Ristolainen for our 1st, DiPietro  and Eriksson.

No way Buffalo agrees to that!

But yes - if we could make it work from a cap standpoint, and Buffalo was on board with that, then I’d be on board.

22 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Just hope it’s obvious like “wow I can’t believe he’s still there”

Like with the Hughes or Podkolzin pick.

*maybe* Edvinsson?  

I could also see a smaller guy like Eklund dropping due to his size.