The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Bruce Cassidy fined $25,000 for criticizing officiating

Rate this topic

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [Report] Bruce Cassidy fined $25,000 for criticizing officiating

I hope the refs give the Islanders ten powerplays tomorrow and those whining hypocrites get laughed out of Long Island. I don’t think I’ve seen/heard a more hypocritical thing than this. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

44 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

As much as I want to revel in this, and I already have to a degree, I'm glad Cassidy is calling out the league officiating. I think a few other coaches have as well, and hopefully the chorus grows. The officiating is absolute garbage. Certainly this is a hard job and calls can be missed due to the speed of the game, but the standard of officiating is subterranean at this point. The calls that have been missed are egregious, and the pathetic makeup calls are equally embarrassing.

The league, and the foul little turd running it, know this, and that's why they actively attempt to shut all dissent down through fines, hoping to intimidate those who question it. There's no discourse to help determine a better way forward, just an antiquated league with an equally antiquated old boys club "officiating" the games.   

Honestly, I think every sports have some challenge regarding officiating.  NFL, questionnable late game defensive interference near the end-zone, NBA, late game foul sending players to the free throw lines.  Review booth challenges is also not helping these sports IMO.  Only baseball usually have decent review call (unless no definitive evidence available due to camera angle), but mostly gets it right.

As for the NHL the problem with officiating is the different rule book between season and playoffs.  We all know playoffs hockey is more intense, yet the Refs have to lay off some calls otherwise we would end up with 5+ powerplays on each side every game.   That's basically a full period 5v4.  Therefore, you're asking the ref to let them play, so by default you're going to have questionnable calls and missed calls.

Also, another problems is the automatic vs judgmental calls.   A ref has the ability to "miss" a hooking, tripping call, while delay of game, high sticking double minor have to be called.  What end up happening is the ref decides to pass on a hooking call for a team that has been penalized a lot, to "balance" things out, and right after he calls a questionnal call for a team that was not penalized often.  Then what do you know, 15 seconds later the penalized team throws the puck in the stand and the Ref has to call the 5v3.  By trying to "balance things out" the Ref just took the momentum away from the team that was cruising and let the other team come back in the game with a 5v3 (assuming they get a call of two).  It should be either fully judgmental or fully automatic, can't have in between.

Also, that stupid double minor if a guy bleed is stupid.  Doesn't mean the high stick was harder or worst, sometimes just gotta hit the right spot.  Maybe was ok back in the day with old sherwood, but not with these new stick, that rule should be reviewed.

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, timberz21 said:

Honestly, I think every sports have some challenge regarding officiating.  NFL, questionnable late game defensive interference near the end-zone, NBA, late game foul sending players to the free throw lines.  Review booth challenges is also not helping these sports IMO.  Only baseball usually have decent review call (unless no definitive evidence available due to camera angle), but mostly gets it right.

As for the NHL the problem with officiating is the different rule book between season and playoffs.  We all know playoffs hockey is more intense, yet the Refs have to lay off some calls otherwise we would end up with 5+ powerplays on each side every game.   That's basically a full period 5v4.  Therefore, you're asking the ref to let them play, so by default you're going to have questionnable calls and missed calls.

Also, another problems is the automatic vs judgmental calls.   A ref has the ability to "miss" a hooking, tripping call, while delay of game, high sticking double minor have to be called.  What end up happening is the ref decides to pass on a hooking call for a team that has been penalized a lot, to "balance" things out, and right after he calls a questionnal call for a team that was not penalized often.  Then what do you know, 15 seconds later the penalized team throws the puck in the stand and the Ref has to call the 5v3.  By trying to "balance things out" the Ref just took the momentum away from the team that was cruising and let the other team come back in the game with a 5v3 (assuming they get a call of two).  It should be either fully judgmental or fully automatic, can't have in between.

Also, that stupid double minor if a guy bleed is stupid.  Doesn't mean the high stick was harder or worst, sometimes just gotta hit the right spot.  Maybe was ok back in the day with old sherwood, but not with these new stick, that rule should be reviewed.

Difference is most other sports have issues that can be attributed to incompetence, and the league tried to address the issue.  NHL refs are obviously engaging in match fixing and the league refuses to hold the worst offenders accountable unless they get caught on a hot mic.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, Pears said:

I hope the refs give the Islanders ten powerplays tomorrow and those whining hypocrites get laughed out of Long Island. I don’t think I’ve seen/heard a more hypocritical thing than this. 

Yes. 

But any coach, gm, player should be able to speak out against the refs if they want without getting a fine 

Bunch of babies that aren't accountable for anything.

That said, pooooooor Boston. 

• Haha 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, erkayloomeh said:

Yes. 

But any coach, gm, player should be able to speak out against the refs if they want without getting a fine 

Bunch of babies that aren't accountable for anything.

That said, pooooooor Boston. 

I agree, But the owners decided that they didn't want that and allowed a rule, to probably protect them from bad publicity of how badly games are managed by refereeing games to keep parity, just like the point scoring system does, and keeps fans interested in all NHL teams to make money for those owners