The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Imagine Having a Defence Core with Size Like This

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I had to Google the acronym EA, and really don’t get it.  Is it some kind of new texting thing meaning “Extremely Awful”?

Electronic Arts makes the NHL series video game.

But extremely awful would fit well too! 

Edited by Aladeen
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, HKSR said:

How'd they do against Vegas?

I think Sakic trades Girard.  Maybe he can get one of the two seconds back he gave up to the GM of the year (Lou Lam) to acquire Toews.  What’s he, about 180 pounds? 

4 hours ago, HKSR said:

Unrealistic?  Yes.  Fun?  Yes.  Dare to dream lol...

UFA Signings and Extensions

-- Sign UFA Dougie Hamilton at $8.5M x 6 years

-- Sign UFA Erik Haula at $2M x 2 years

-- Petey extended on bridge deal at $6.5M x 3 years

TRADE #1

To Van:

Colton Parayko (with $1M retained for the 1 year remaining)

2021 17th OA Pick (1st Round)

To STL:

Quinn Hughes

Antoine Roussel

Signing Hamilton means Hughes is expendable. 

TRADE #2

To Van:

Ryan Graves

To COL:

Jack Rathbone

3rd Round Pick

COL sheds some cap space and acquires a great prospect in Rathbone and a 3rd round pick.

I don't feel the Canucks will be winning any cups with both Hughes and Rathbone as sub 6'0" defencemen in the D-core. 

2021 NHL Draft Picks

-- Canucks select Mason McTavish 9th overall

-- Canucks select Aatu Raty 17th overall

2021-22 assumptions:
-- Kraken is provided a sweetener in the form of Jonah Gadjovich and a 2nd round pick to take Holtby

-- Beagle traded with $1M retained

-- Goodbye Virtanen

Assumptions for Future Years:

-- Boeser signs a $7M AAV extension

-- Horvat signs a $6.5M AAV extension

-- Parayko signs a $6.5M AAV extension

-- Graves signs a $4.5M AAV extension

-- Miller walks at the end of his deal

-- Hogs and Podz get bridge deals at $4M AAV when ELCs are done

-- Top 6 in 2022-23 onwards could be someone like Max Domi, Nino Niederreiter, Reilly Smith, etc

The RHD side means every single pairing has a 6'6" or bigger defenceman on the ice at all times lol

CapWithDefence.jpg.48d490ad72478759fbd4f9a44ad6ccee.jpg

Why would you want to get rid of Hughes and Rathbone? Keep Hughes and if you must trade Rathbone but not both

50 minutes ago, HKSR said:

TRADE #1

To Van:

To STL:

Quinn Hughes

Antoine Roussel

TRADE #2

To Van:

Ryan Graves

To COL:

Jack Rathbone

3rd Round Pick

COL sheds some cap space and acquires a great prospect in Rathbone and a 3rd round pick.

I don't feel the Canucks will be winning any cups with both Hughes and Rathbone as sub 6'0" defencemen in the D-core. 

2021 NHL Draft Picks

2021-22 assumptions:
-- Kraken is provided a sweetener in the form of Jonah Gadjovich and a 2nd round pick to take Holtby

-- Goodbye Virtanen

-- Top 6 in 2022-23 onwards could be someone like Max Domi, Nino Niederreiter, Reilly Smith, etc

The RHD side means every single pairing has a 6'6" or bigger defenceman on the ice at all times lol

1. Like the Hamilton deal. Numbers would make Vancity a solid contender for his services. Takes him to 34 years old. Also a good number.

Haula may get a bit more.

Thinking 7 is more the number on a short term deal for Petey. Sets him up for renegotiations when cap is projected to go up again.

2. Parayko is the type of defender we need but, at 21, Hughes is much younger and brings a lot more shelf life and scoring ability then Parayko. I'd also be wanting an "A Level" prospect.

3. Rathbone, for me at least, is too intriguing a player to trade away. In this scenario, dealing Hughes affords us one small defender. Jack's game is more rounded out than Quinn's. Pairing him with Hamilton could be substantially beneficial to him. 

4. Really hoping McTavish is there at 9. If we did get a second first rounder, I think it would be a great spot to take a chance on someone like Sasha Pastujov. Kid's a gamer. Could be another Podkolzin stylle player. One scout nas him compared to Matthew Tkachuk, in that he plays a rough physical style, a skillset we could definitely use more of.

Has boom or bust written all over him.

5. Gadjovich is on my protected list, making this part of the proposal undesirable to me. 

6. I think Boeser's qualifying offer is set at 7.5.

Overall, I see these deals as fair, for the most part. 

If, in the magical world of make believe, these deals ever did come to fruition, my only concern would be the age of our new defensive look, otherwise, not bad.

7 hours ago, HKSR said:

TRADE #1

To Van:

To STL:

Quinn Hughes

Antoine Roussel

TRADE #2

To Van:

Ryan Graves

To COL:

Jack Rathbone

3rd Round Pick

2021 NHL Draft Picks

2021-22 assumptions:

-- Goodbye Virtanen

im down for some trades but both rathbone and hughes show promise, the reason our team sucked so bad was because of our depth, not hughes fault.

we can do a lot better than macewen, graovac, and lockwood.

we need players like paquette,foligno,bonino,leivo,zajac,getzlaf,zajac all these players can be had for under 2m*2/1. most of them under 1.5m

also I would be remiss to trade for graves when Hankanpaa could be had for 2.7m*4 as a UFA

8 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Damn. If only Rathbone were one inch taller so he would officially hit that 6 foot mark. Then he wouldn't be a useless piece of garbage. Oh well.

Taller skates?

regards,  G.

I'll admit it is fun to think what is possible...maybe something like this:

To NJD: Hughes

To VAN: Bahl + Foote + Zacha

To ANA: Schmidt + MacEwen

To VAN: Manson + Grant

Sign UFAs: Dougie Howser to $8m x 7y, Martinez to $4m x 2y, Bogosian to $1.2m x 2 y

D corps:

Martinez Hamilton

Rathbone Myers

Juolevi Manson

(Bahl Bogosian)

19 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

And tell him to bring coffee! Alf, only us old guys on here ever seen Tim Horton play so I think you are losing a lot of folks. LOL

I should point out that Horton was only 5'10" and 180lbs. Harvard had Rathbone listed as bigger than Horton.By the way, I don't think we really have to worry about Rathbones size as he plays very physical and loves the gym. He is actually like a bigger version of Torey Krug to me.

Rathbone, Jack
Position:
Defenseman
Height:
5-11
Weight:

Rabone, 22, 5'11, 190 lbs ...Will come and take #4 D position before Xmas...He has skill and skating could be #2 defence man before he turns 24...Bright exciting future, great draft pick..

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

13 hours ago, warrchief said:

Graves for Rathbone and a 3rd? I wouldn't do that deal, that's a deal that can bite us.

Graves for 2nd rounder 2021 -- Colorado are so deep with defence talent on defence, Byran 6'1, 20 -1st rounder 2 yrs ago -- Timmins 6'3, 21, Girard 23,  Makar 22 -- loads of talent--  They don't have 2nd rounder 2021

9 hours ago, Angry Goose said:

Definitely bigger, but you lose that game breaking talent Hughes has in the offensive end.

Hamilton says hi.  He had more points and more goals than Hughes this past year and consistently puts up double digits in goals year after year. 

You can go do some research, he's an elite offensive threat, his stats prove it, and even his advanced stats are through the roof.  On top of all that, he's a 6'6" beast that hits and fights.

17 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Hamilton says hi.  He had more points and more goals than Hughes this past year and consistently puts up double digits in goals year after year. 

You can go do some research, he's an elite offensive threat, his stats prove it, and even his advanced stats are through the roof.  On top of all that, he's a 6'6" beast that hits and fights.

Youre comparing age 21 QH to age 28 DH- I think YOU need to go do some research