The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Stanley Cup Playoffs: Winning team isn't best team

Rate this topic

3 hours ago, LeafsFanDan said:

The thing is a team can pull together over 20 games and just play all in defence and win the cup, that doesn't  make them "the best".

Its much harder to do it consistently and over a 82 game schedule. MONTREAL is easily the weakest team of the final 8 yet somehow they managed to win, does that make them lucky? Yes, good? No, it shows that scrub teams can work really hard over a course of a few weeks to grind the truly elite teams down. No respect from me to Montreal, and in case you wondering neither do 90% of the true hockey analyst, experts and commentators give Montreal any respect. Go figure why that is, think about it don't take it from  me take it from the experts making 200k a year, I'd listen  to them over a casual fan, you should too.

image.jpeg.b52af3974a9be73f0c24e2f4ad6a9006.jpeg       

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, LeafsFanDan said:

The thing is a team can pull together over 20 games and just play all in defence and win the cup, that doesn't  make them "the best".

Its much harder to do it consistently and over a 82 game schedule. MONTREAL is easily the weakest team of the final 8 yet somehow they managed to win, does that make them lucky? Yes, good? No, it shows that scrub teams can work really hard over a course of a few weeks to grind the truly elite teams down. No respect from me to Montreal, and in case you wondering neither do 90% of the true hockey analyst, experts and commentators give Montreal any respect. Go figure why that is, think about it don't take it from  me take it from the experts making 200k a year, I'd listen  to them over a casual fan, you should too.

i mean i chucked on ancient aliens cause there was jack sh1t on television and there was so called "experts" talking while i was making food and i still didnt believe a word they said, you gotta tread carefully too who you listen too, people can be manipulative, if the leafs didnt make the NHL a sh1t load of money i doubt they would even talk about them.

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Ummm we won the President’s Trophy in 2011 and 2012. 

i meant the goal about about winning the trophy over the stanley cup lol and having a good regular season from his post.

• Thanks 1

ok bud lol.

Tampa is most likely winning again? They are a complete powerhouse and have been. 

As for montreal , yes they aren't the best team but they won their series, starting with the loser leafs complete choke job. Also helps having the best goalie of this generation in price. 

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

4 hours ago, LeafsFanDan said:

LA did it ... twice.   8th worst seed in our conference, and then 7th worst seed in our conference.  If you don't realize that their is the tune up season (regular one) and the real season (the playoffs), then i'm guessing your fairly new to hockey.  

This was a covid shortened year,  TO accomplished zero in 56 games, and won't win a cup with their "entertaining - yawn it really isn't " style.   Watching Marner and Mathews do d!ck squat was fun.   Also enjoyed beating TO twice after we came out of covid that was neat.   If you think they are that good, your not paying attention, and suggest you take the blue and white blinders off.   Nobody had them as "contenders " coming into the playoffs, outside i'm guessing TO media spinners. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

4 hours ago, LeafsFanDan said:

Please enlighten us to these 90% experts?  Name some. 

Winning team is not the best team?

Well, the losing team certainly isn't the best team. 

Having the best players certainly doesn't equate to having the best team. We know that for sure from Toronto Maple Leafs that has the best goal scorer in the league but certainly aren't the best team.

Ability to play together as a team, trusting each other, putting your body on the line to block shots for the goalie and defend the lead is a hallmark of a great team and hence the best team.

6 hours ago, LeafsFanDan said:

This is an opinion thread, please don't break forum rules or bash OP if you happen to disagree**

2021 SCP has shown on full display that teams who may do well under the playoff type games may not be great regular season teams, and that needs to be addressed.

Organizations, fans and players make the most of their hockey time during the 82 games and 6 months of hockey during the regular season. All the true battles, the point records, the endless games and drama happens during this time. The teams are ranked during the season based on their composition, roaster, type of game style and performance.

Winning unlike most people want you to believe isn't everything. Many people would agree that win or lose as long as their team plays an entertaining style of hockey thats what matters. Losing 6 to 7 but watching your team score 6 goals is incredible. Getting your money worth at a game isn't about winning its about the game style, the players and the attitude.

Playoffs is a mind set that tricks people into thinking winning is all that matters, and many teams play a horrible boring defensive, unsatisfying brand of hockey (New Jersey 90s, Dallas etc) overacheiving  medicore teams doing well in a limited 20 game playoff spam.

Enter Montreal 2021, a scub team no one selected who is a true expert or analyst in NHL. You know why? Because it's not a good team, at one point even Canucks were thinking of catching them.

Just because Montreal has managed to pull wins in a playoff bubble, playing endless defence and grinding teams down doesn't make them a good team. I am sorry, Playoffs need to have its own bracket because regular season is where teams truly shine  where players get paid and where most of the money is made.

Its crazy to see how many people are buying into the SCP as a decisive factor for determining what team is good and what isn't.

This is by far the dumbest argument I’ve ever heard. 
You sound like someone who has been raised on getting fair play awards. 

Edited by Krinjer33

1 hour ago, Sedinyoureyesontheprize said:

A105568C-2970-4D67-9787-5BC7DBF71F6C.thumb.jpeg.0362f49b01e4facef5ac948d32918a66.jpeg

34720AE2-7458-469F-BA0B-6C47C8973651.jpeg.678d2780c10042feb6329cb2491ffecf.jpeg

what am i suppose too look at? one looks fine and smiling with his hand up,  the other hands over his face,  i see that, at least we havent worn paper bags over our heads at least i havent seen em yet.

10 hours ago, Alflives said:

Leafs should trade Marner, even if it means a less than stellar return too.  11 million in cap space could add some very important depth, which would help them in the playoffs.  

The day that contract was announced, I knew the leafs would never be legit contenders as long as Marner is around. Preposterous cap hit for a one dimensional player who simply just folds in the playoffs. 

• Vintage 1

13 hours ago, LeafsFanDan said:

This is an opinion thread, please don't break forum rules or bash OP if you happen to disagree**

2021 SCP has shown on full display that teams who may do well under the playoff type games may not be great regular season teams, and that needs to be addressed.

Organizations, fans and players make the most of their hockey time during the 82 games and 6 months of hockey during the regular season. All the true battles, the point records, the endless games and drama happens during this time. The teams are ranked during the season based on their composition, roaster, type of game style and performance.

Winning unlike most people want you to believe isn't everything. Many people would agree that win or lose as long as their team plays an entertaining style of hockey thats what matters. Losing 6 to 7 but watching your team score 6 goals is incredible. Getting your money worth at a game isn't about winning its about the game style, the players and the attitude.

Playoffs is a mind set that tricks people into thinking winning is all that matters, and many teams play a horrible boring defensive, unsatisfying brand of hockey (New Jersey 90s, Dallas etc) overacheiving  medicore teams doing well in a limited 20 game playoff spam.

Enter Montreal 2021, a scub team no one selected who is a true expert or analyst in NHL. You know why? Because it's not a good team, at one point even Canucks were thinking of catching them.

Just because Montreal has managed to pull wins in a playoff bubble, playing endless defence and grinding teams down doesn't make them a good team. I am sorry, Playoffs need to have its own bracket because regular season is where teams truly shine  where players get paid and where most of the money is made.

Its crazy to see how many people are buying into the SCP as a decisive factor for determining what team is good and what isn't.

butt hurt about your Laffs stinking it up yet again!? They still and will always suck!

• Vintage 1

12 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

As my buddy, who is a lifelong Habs fan and who also expected the Leaves to run rampant over them, followed by the Jets to smoke them, and then the VGKs to slaughter them, pointed out to me yesterday - the Habs go where Price takes them.

He's not a fan of Bergevin, and wasn't expecting that they would make it this far, but he points out that Price is the keystone that holds the arch together, and as long as Price continues to shut the door when it counts, they can continue to pick up wins.  He still thinks they won't win the Cup this year, but I'm not as pessimistic as him (and I'm not even a regular Habs fan :lol:).

But that's really true of any team that's going to succeed in the playoffs - we've seen it firsthand.  Goaltending is HUGE in making the difference.  

People slam a team for relying on their goaltender like it's a "fluke" to progress and the team somehow doesn't deserve to be there, but that's just a key component of any good team.  They were smart enough to focus on goaltending, that's all.  It's kind of important to do so.

Price is amazing....I hope they take this.

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, Brad Marchand said:

If the Stanley Cup was awared to the best regular season team, the best teams would try harder during the regular season, it's that simple.

Most of the important trophies available to be won in team sports are awared to the winner of playoff tournaments. If your team isn't good enough to win even a single round of that tournament, your team isn't that good, plain and simple.

I also think matchups matter. If Montreal got Colorado, maybe they wouldn't have won that series, and some teams just have your number (Chicago for Vancouver, Boston for Toronto, etc...). With that said, Toronto has lost to everyone they can in the first round and continuously choke in the final game (the game 7s the and game 5 against Columbus). 

Toronto needs to trade someone like Marner or Nylander for a d-man and grittier player. Hell, I think they should trade both and revamp their team.

19 hours ago, LeafsFanDan said:

Yeah, Montreal being this years team of destiny got hot at the right time heading into the playoffs - that MAF gaffe late in game 3 was a miracle and it cost Vegas that series cause prior to that Vegas was on there way to a 2 to 1 series lead. 

Wonder if they can keep the hot/lucky streak going vs the Champs heading into July ?

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

21 hours ago, LeafsFanDan said:

Words of a loser.  A Leafs fan...what did I expect?  Right into the Ignore file.

Edited by bigbadcanucks
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1