The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Alexander Edler to hit free agency

8 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Which guys? 

It's his right to want to stay playing for the team that drafted him. It's also the team's right to make an offer to him that's commiserate on his present age and capabilities. 

Sometimes the organization does some dumb (expletive deleted) but I don't see how it applies here.

I meant the media. I guess they are just reporting straight from the agent but are we actually supposed to believe this garbage, nothing they say is true anymore? 

If he and Alex want more money, get effed, I'm so sick of catering to this guy, he's 800 years old.

Just move on, I'm not playing hardball with a Brontosaurus.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Haha 1
  • RoughGame 1

Just now, Gawdzukes said:

I meant the media. I guess they are just reporting straight from the agent but are we actually supposed to believe this garbage, nothing they say is true anymore? 

Well, it's a conversation between two on air personalities and a player's agent. Not much in the way of speculation here. Seems pretty factual. Stowe is using the platform to his advantage, no doubt, but there doesn't seem to be much in the way of grey area here. 

Just now, Gawdzukes said:

If he and Alex want more money, get effed, I'm so sick of catering to this guy, he's 800 years old.

Sounds like it wasn't about the offer itself. Edler decided to go to free agency on his own accord.

2 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Well he took 2x6 to remain in Vancouver when he easily could have gotten say 5x5 on the open market, so there's that...

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Don't tarnish a quality player this way because it's normal, especially at the wind down of a career, to want to optimize a contract on exit.  To make the best possible deal for your family moving forward.

You really don't realize that, for a 35 year old veteran D man, he's still got value and someone will likely see that.  It's just "what it is"...there's no blame assigned here.  The team has to consider the younger core and $$ in order to sign big names and Eddie has to also try to maximize what is likely one of his last deals.

But to name call him and put this spin on him?  I'm sorry but it looks bad...not on him though.  He's shown nothing but class and dignity here and we should extend him the same?  Even while potentially parting ways.

Exactly. It's a business folks. 

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Just move on, I'm not playing hardball with a Brontosaurus.

Sorry, but this is simply a disrespectful post on your part and uncalled for.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 3

Fine with Edler leaving, that's one way to hit the refresh button. 

Less fine with letting him walk for nothing, would have been nice to trade him within the last few years when we were supposedly "rebuilding". But whatever, it is what it is. 

D Core needs a lot of work this off season if he does go! 

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Last step in rebuilding a new culture.

More room for younger guys to step up into a leadership role.

For better or worse it’s time to reshape the D core. They’ll miss Edler but I think this will allow a young player to show what they can do.

Perfect year to do this as well. Loose some crap contracts, re- build the D along the way or next UFA season. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Entirely possible that he still comes back as well after both sides explore their options.

Not sure about that. Last time my interpretation was the agent wanted to continue negotiations and get a better deal and Alex just said "enough, get what you can for two years and close the deal". This time the vibe is different, the part about Alex making the decision on his own doesn't feel like something the agent could put in his mouth as a negotiation tactic.

Torn about this though - would love him to return and retire here while at the same time he'd be much more vaulable on the second pairing on a contender and we also need to push the younger LD:s on our team.

12 minutes ago, rekker said:

I could see a fit with the Avs and I hope he hoists a cup there. 

I hope he hoists a cup with the Boston Bruins. Reportedly they are searching for a veteran LHD. Doubt that Edler will get paid significantly more in Boston because they have cap issues , too.

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 4

18 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Well, it's a conversation between two on air personalities and a player's agent. Not much in the way of speculation here. Seems pretty factual. Stowe is using the platform to his advantage, no doubt, but there doesn't seem to be much in the way of grey area here. 

Sounds like it wasn't about the offer itself. Edler decided to go to free agency on his own accord.

Yeah sorry jumped the gun. Big loss in my beer league yesterday. Just woke up, I'm emotional and this is the first thing I saw. :o

To me the idea is just ludicrous. He holds us hostage and refuses to be traded for years on end but now he's just willing to go just over money? If this is 25 year old Edler than fine, but we're talking about an old piece of tape that's holding a broken jalopy together. At the end of the day he's not a difference maker except in the back of our net.

He's too insignificant to be playing games like this. I hope he goes somewhere else, and good luck. We need to be focusing on our future, not Alex's future well-being.

Sorry to all I've offended. To me it sounds like Trump saying he won't accept anything except the Presidency back. Okay then buddy, nice leverage.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • RoughGame 4

Rick is likely right, this is about contending for a Cup. I will not be surprised if Canucks fans are mad about the eventual contract, but the team cannot offer him one last shot at at championship before he retires. I don't see any way our defense doesn't take a step back next year. Probably makes the push for Hamonic stronger.

Don't be surprised if he takes a bit less to go to a competitive situation. Edler probably also has some type of front office job lined up in Vancouver after he retires.

Edited by TheCustodian