The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks won’t protect Kole Lind

Just now, DeNiro said:

I think there’s a good chance we would have lost him on waivers next season. Sucks to not get to see what he becomes here but oh well.

Kind of relieved we didn’t lose Gadjovich to be honest. He represents something we don’t really have in the system. Big tough guy that can score in the dirty areas.

yup keeping Gad's is a nice consolation prize. Question is do we keep him on board as the 13th F this year? 

• Cheers 1

Seattle will still be moving some of their selections. Some of these guys might be picked with trades already in place so we can’t just assume that Lind will be on waivers next year.

On a side note if all of these different reports are accurate then what in the hell is the point of this elaborate presentation that the Kraken are putting together to announce each selection?

23 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

this list is a bit surprising, they aren't selecting a true stater, or at least one thats been a full time starter. 

I thought there would be at least one veteran goalie pick here, but maybe they'll look for that in free agency. 

I agree it's surprising.  It makes me wonder whether there is a side deal for another goalie.  Holtby might still be of interest to Seattle. 

The problem with Seattle selecting Holtby in Expansion was always that doing so wouldn't allow for salary retention.  The problem for the Canucks with salary retention is that doing so would eat into affordability of a backup.  Both Vinacek and Daccord are under contract next year at very reasonable rates.  Vinacek obviously played a large role for the caps last season but Daccord could still be a good back up (even if he hasn't played as many NHL games) and is under contract for two more years for less than $1M.

Despite the loss of Lind, what might still work is for Seattle and Vancouver is a Holtby deal where, perhaps, the Canucks retain less than they would have before the roster freeze in exchange for one of Daccord or Vinacek.  My guess would be Daccord if this deal were to work since I think Vinacek should hold greater potential.  This way the Kraken have Lind, Holtby and some cap savings on Holtby which could make Holtby a better trade chip for them at the deadline.  The Canucks would clear a bit of cap space and get their backup.

At the end of the day I'm not sure how worth it is for the Canucks to do this, but I wouldn't rule out Holtby to Seattle since there seemed to be quite a bit of interest in Holtby and based on their current picks, it would make sense for them to dip into the goalie market either through FA or trade.  Driedger was good last year but I assume they would want another veteran goalie. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I might be the minority here, but I hate loosing Lind. Home grown prospect, was improving every year, had some skill, had little bite. While his showing last year wasn't spectacular, I thought he showed promise. Good luck to him next year with the Kracken. 

17 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

I agree it's surprising.  It makes me wonder whether there is a side deal for another goalie.  Holtby might still be of interest to Seattle. 

The problem with Seattle selecting Holtby in Expansion was always that doing so wouldn't allow for salary retention.  The problem for the Canucks with salary retention is that doing so would eat into affordability of a backup.  Both Vinacek and Daccord are under contract next year at very reasonable rates.  Vinacek obviously played a large role for the caps last season but Daccord could still be a good back up (even if he hasn't played as many NHL games) and is under contract for two more years for less than $1M.

Despite the loss of Lind, what might still work is for Seattle and Vancouver is a Holtby deal where, perhaps, the Canucks retain less than they would have before the roster freeze in exchange for one of Daccord or Vinacek.  My guess would be Daccord if this deal were to work since I think Vinacek should hold greater potential.  This way the Kraken have Lind, Holtby and some cap savings on Holtby which could make Holtby a better trade chip for them at the deadline.  The Canucks would clear a bit of cap space and get their backup.

At the end of the day I'm not sure how worth it is for the Canucks to do this, but I wouldn't rule out Holtby to Seattle since there seemed to be quite a bit of interest in Holtby and based on their current picks, it would make sense for them to dip into the goalie market either through FA or trade.  Driedger was good last year but I assume they would want another veteran goalie. 

thats a solid trade plan for sure. 

We also don't have to trade Holtby. He should be motivated to have a good year, and its not the worst thing to have him backstopping Demko. With the Pacific getting more competitive today those back up day wins will be very important. 

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

I might be the minority here, but I hate loosing Lind. Home grown prospect, was improving every year, had some skill, had little bite. While his showing last year wasn't spectacular, I thought he showed promise. Good luck to him next year with the Kracken. 

Would Lind have made our starting roster? Would he have cleared waivers after we sent him down?

Does he makes SEA's starting roster? Does he clear waivers after they send him down?

6 minutes ago, Kenny Blankenship said:

I’m happy they picked Lind over Gadjovich. The style of player he has the potential to become is far more valuable to our lineup than Lind would be. Sucks to lose him but every team has to lose someone. 

We got lots of players like Lind already not many like Gadj 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

The fact almost every post speculating about who they would take mentioned that the poster "hoped they didn't take Kole Lind" was enough for me to make my peace with this many days ago. It was the obvious choice for the Kraken.

The other thing that kept occurring to me is this:

If they want Holtby, they can get him in trade with us for next to nothing because we want the cap space. Not so for Kole Lind.

They can have their cake and eat it too.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, VforVasili said:

The fact almost every post speculating about who they would take mentioned that the poster "hoped they didn't take Kole Lind" was enough for me to make my peace with this many days ago. It was the obvious choice for the Kraken.

It depends. Our best player is Holtby. If they get too worried about Price’s contract, Holtby would be a good fit there. Personally, I would take Price. 

2 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

It depends. Our best player is Holtby. If they get too worried about Price’s contract, Holtby would be a good fit there. Personally, I would take Price. 

How much do you figure they would have to pay us in a trade to get Holtby from us? Then they have both.

His value is not high right now as we need the cap space, even if he is the goalie they want.

7 minutes ago, VforVasili said:

How much do you figure they would have to pay us in a trade to get Holtby from us? Then they have both.

His value is not high right now as we need the cap space, even if he is the goalie they want.

Given the fact that they get him for free is not enough? I hate this....

46 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Would Lind have made our starting roster? Would he have cleared waivers after we sent him down?

Does he makes SEA's starting roster? Does he clear waivers after they send him down?

I think he would have. He had a slow start in Utica as well but came out swinging the next season. I felt dipping his toes this year was going to motivate him to make the team next year. I feel the same way about Juolevi.

I do think he makes Seattles roster. But that's just my take.