The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks won’t protect Kole Lind

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Pettersson, Boeser, Miller, Horvat, Pearson, Dickinson, Motte.

That's your 7 forwards.  Seattle can pick one of Lind, MacEwen, Gadjovich, Highmore.  Or they can take Madison Bowey.  Or they can take Holtby.

Which one you think they are taking?

Edler as a UFA

We can still trade with Seattle right now, or so I heard.

Hmm… Maybe we trade Holtby to Seattle with cap retained (and a sweetener?) but they agree to take Roussel or Beagle.  Prices were supposedly pretty high for something like that but maybe they’ll come down as we get into it.

(Im honestly fine with us just posting our list and losing Lind or maybe they just take Holtby) but there is some opportunity here to shed a bit of salary so we can take a run at a D man like, say, Larsson.

14 minutes ago, coryberg said:

There will be a dozen nhl backups for grabs in free agency 

True, but I feel like it will be back to square one:

-Pay dirt cheap for a crap back up who doesn’t insulate Demko in any way.

-Pay for a 1B goalie who will likely cost between 3-4 million anyways.

For me personally, I don’t think it’s worth going through the hassle.  Demko could use one more year if being insulated by a top vet like Holtby imo.

Edited by Patel Bure
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Are you suggesting Benning is of the opinion Lind will not develop into an NHL player, who is as good (or contributes as much to a club) as Dickinson?  

He might develop.  He might not.  Benning is going for the sure thing.  Dickinson is one of the best defensive forwards in the entire NHL.  Obviously he can help us right now.  What exactly can Lind do for us?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That's your 7 forwards.  Seattle can pick one of Virtanen, Lind, MacEwen, Gadjovich, Highmore.  Or they can take Madison Bowey.  Or they can take Holtby.

Lind.  He has the highest upside.  

That's your 7 forwards.  Seattle can pick one of Lind, MacEwen, Gadjovich, Highmore.  Or they can take Madison Bowey.  Or they can take Holtby.

Lind or Gadjovich. There's no way they are taking Holtby without a significant sweetener. Too many better options out there.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

He might develop.  He might not.  Benning is going for the sure thing.  Dickinson is one of the best defensive forwards in the entire NHL.  Obviously he can help us right now.  What exactly can Lind do for us?

Is it about building a Cup team, or just getting to mediocre though?  

1 minute ago, Patel Bure said:

True, but I feel like it will be back to square one:

-Pay dirt cheap for a crap back up who does insulate Demko in any way.

-Pay for a 1B goalie who will likely cost between 3-4 million anyways.

For me personally, I don’t think it’s worth going through the hassle.  Demko could use one more year if being insulated by a top vet like Holtby imo.

There are 36 goalies entering UFA status this summer.  I'm sure Benning can sign one of those to a much cheaper contract than $3 million...

12 minutes ago, Steven Stamkos said:

I feel like the people that were scared we’d lose Brendan Gaunce to Vegas are the same people who are afraid we’re going to lose Lind. 

The estrogen levels on HF Canucks reached Empire State Building levels of altitude when we learned that Gaunce wouldn’t be protected.

”Mark my words guys.  Benning is just discriminating against Gaunce because he’s a Gillis pick” - Mathonwy

• Haha 3

There are 36 goalies entering UFA status this summer.  I'm sure Benning can sign one of those to a much cheaper contract than $3 million...

So why doesn’t Seattle sign one of these cheaper guys, instead of taking on Holtby?  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Is it about building a Cup team, or just getting to mediocre though?  

How is Lind getting us to the Cup?  What exactly has he done in his career to lead you to believe he is a top 9 guy on a Cup contender?  Dickinson was a 1str round pick.  Lind was a 2nd round pick.  Wouldn't Dickinson have more upside than Lind?

1 minute ago, Patel Bure said:

The estrogen levels on HF Canucks reached Empire State Building levels of altitude when we learned that Gaunce wouldn’t be protected.

”Mark my words guys.  Benning is just discriminating against Gaunce because he’s a Gillis pick” - Mathonwy

Is this new guy like Gaunce?  I liked Gaunce.  Took pucks to the face, and kept playing.  

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

How is Lind getting us to the Cup?  What exactly has he done in his career to lead you to believe he is a top 9 guy on a Cup contender?  Dickinson was a 1str round pick.  Lind was a 2nd round pick.  Wouldn't Dickinson have more upside than Lind?

We don’t know what Lind will be in two years.  We know what this new guy is, and he’s a bottom line winger, who can PK.  And he’s likely to cost us 3 x 3.  Lind could definitely be more than that.  

Edited by Alflives

13 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

I don't know...there are a lot of good goalies available for less cap hit than Holtby.  I think if anyone is concerned about losing any of the prospects/fourth liners, they have good reason to feel that way.  I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that Holtby is taken.  I hope he is.

Word is, Kraken will take Chris Driedger as one of their goalie picks (can't remember where I saw it, but I'm certain I'm not dreaming this up).

Holtby has only one year remaining so it's kind of a try before you buy type deal. If he's the old Holtby, they can re-sign him when they know he's a good fit there.

Also he's kind of marketable. For a new franchise they have to market someone. He's won a Stanley Cup not too long ago. They could market him (at least in the beginning) as their Mark Andre Fluery. So he brings intangibles that the other potential goalies don't.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Because those guys would all be backups to Demko.  At least Holtby has the potential to be Seattle's starter.  He has won a Cup last time I checked.

Didn’t Seattle trade for a goalie?  

Just now, Alflives said:

We don’t know what Lind will be in two years.  We know what this new guy is, and he’s a bottom line winger, who can PK.  Lind could definitely be more than that.  

He could also be less than that.  He could be a career AHL'er.  Benning is going for the sure thiing.

Dickinson isn't just a bottom line winger.  He's one of the better defensive players in the NHL.  Let's not lump him in with a guy like Sutter.  He's a big upgrade on Sutter.

• Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That's your 7 forwards.  Seattle can pick one of Virtanen, Lind, MacEwen, Gadjovich, Highmore.  Or they can take Madison Bowey.  Or they can take Holtby.

Button mentioned that they also may pick one of our UFAs and just choose not to sign them, more or less  a “pass.” I think Vegas did this last time as well. On the other hand he thought if Lind was exposed he would be their choice.

• Upvote 1

I think MacEwen is Seattle's best choice and the one I hope they don't take. I love him as a 4th liner (though his offense was severely lacking this year, which may scare Seattle off).

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1