The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks won’t protect Kole Lind

13 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I don't believe they are even allowed to make a transaction at this point...

Seattle can make trades during the trade freeze - allows them to make side deals.  

33 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Pettersson, Boeser, Miller, Horvat, Pearson, Dickinson, Motte.

That's your 7 forwards.  Seattle can pick one of Virtanen, Lind, MacEwen, Gadjovich, Highmore.  Or they can take Madison Bowey.  Or they can take Holtby.

Which one you think they are taking?

They could sign Sutter, Edler, or Hamonic (amongst others) as well. Or take Beagle or Rousell :bigblush:

Edited by coryberg
  • Haha 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Gaud is just not skilled enough for a scoring role, and too light and easy to play against for a checking role.  He’s just a meh player.  The new guy we got is built for checking.  He fits a role, that he’s very good at.  

That was my thought with Gaudette as well.  I know it’s not a 1-1 analogy, but I always Gaudette as being the Sven Baertschi of centermen.   Not enough there for Top 6 duty but a stylistic misfit for bottom 6 duty as well. 

I have nothing bad to say about Lind, he is a great prospect who has got better every year and will likely make the NHL as a player. This expansion draft forces teams to make these tough choices and given this so be it, it could be worse I guess.

Who knows, maybe the Kraken look elsewhere, I'm not sure who else the Canucks expose but Lind is not an NHL player yet so maybe the Kraken look for a roster player instead.

Edited by GarthButcher5
  • Cheers 4

Gambling that they don't take him, with Holby there lets hope it pays off. Losing Holtby saves us cap and Lind. Lind can be a cheap depth player, and he has upside in my books. I am really hoping this doesn't become a situation where he turns into something special for Seattle like some of the expansion pieces did for Vegas.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

35 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

True, but I feel like it will be back to square one:

-Pay dirt cheap for a crap back up who doesn’t insulate Demko in any way.

-Pay for a 1B goalie who will likely cost between 3-4 million anyways.

For me personally, I don’t think it’s worth going through the hassle.  Demko could use one more year if being insulated by a top vet like Holtby imo.

I wouldn't mind keeping Holtby and dealing him at the deadline for assets if we are out of the race. Could be worth a bunch at 50% retained

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

True, but I feel like it will be back to square one:

-Pay dirt cheap for a crap back up who doesn’t insulate Demko in any way.

-Pay for a 1B goalie who will likely cost between 3-4 million anyways.

For me personally, I don’t think it’s worth going through the hassle.  Demko could use one more year if being insulated by a top vet like Holtby imo.

Square one is where we are and have been the last couple years. Demko has proven himself now to be THE starter. Give him the reigns and let’s see how he performs over the year. At some point you have to allow the player to claim his position. 

You don’t spend money that is desperately required elsewhere on the same thing you already have. You also have QH and EP bridge deals coming up, $ needs to be set aside for anything taken on in trade or UFA…imho because of expansion, for the money this year (1.75m - 2.5m) you can get a very, very serviceable experienced G for great value and use that little bit extra to address other needs.

Perhaps you’re also forgetting another very strong point to consider…whomever we pick up will be coached by someone widely considered to be one of the best in the game in their field with Ian Clark. 

Sorry man, Holtby isn’t worth his contact here in contrast to what those $$$ can produce elsewhere.

• Cheers 2

If some teams were inquiring about Holtby, then maybe we let Seattle make their pick with no incentives. If they pick Lind, we can move out Holtby after the expansion draft. If they pick Holtby, then no sweat.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

So why doesn’t Seattle sign one of these cheaper guys, instead of taking on Holtby?  

Because he’s likely a great asset for trade after ED where salary can be retained. Lots of viable options. The trades that can be made with SEA can involve $$ retention in exchange with assets. Not too many teams right now have cap space or roster space to take on a backup G. 

Halal and Quick now being left exposed to SEA too. 

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

So we are all hopeful Seattle takes Holtby, because we don’t want to lose Lind?  We are protecting the new guy, Dickinson, because he’s 5 years older than Lind?  

So, in your books “younger” is always equal “better”? Hold on, my friends just had a baby, he must be the best player available since he’s so much younger than everyone else in NHL… What a goof…

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

One of Lind/Gadjo/Mac or maybe Holtby. 

Imo they take Lind.  Of those four who has more upside for the best cost?  To me that’s Lind.  He’s still physically maturing.  He’s a young 22.  My fingers are crossed they take Mac or Holtby.