The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks won’t protect Kole Lind

10 minutes ago, Top Sven Baercheese said:

I'd give up a pick or 2 for Seattle to take Holtby. If he plays for them, it's free points for us. 

So who plays back up for us?  Matt Dunnigan?  Carl Valentine?

Because Dipietro isn’t ready to be a back up at the NHL level just yet.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

Well if rumors were true...

According to Dhaliwal, eight teams have made calls on Holtby, including the Seattle Kraken

So Seattle could probably pick Holtby.   Then flip him for a 2nd + prospect while retaining 50%.

12 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Dickinson is an NHL player. Lind isn't. Of course he could get there, but let's not pretend they're on par with each other right now.

Didn’t Benning just recently say we are two years away though?  

3 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

So who plays back up for us?  Matt Dunnigan?  Carl Valentine?

Because Dipietro isn’t ready to be a back up at the NHL level just yet.

There will be a dozen nhl backups for grabs in free agency 

• Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, Alflives said:

So we are all hopeful Seattle takes Holtby, because we don’t want to lose Lind?  We are protecting the new guy, Dickinson, because he’s 5 years older than Lind?  

We are hopeful because we don't need Holtby. He's not the goalie he used to be, and he takes up a bigger chunk of cash than we need to spend in a backup.

...and yes, we then continue to develop Lind.

In Dickinson, we have a proven guy (in many ways) to fill a needed spot immediately. Lind may or may not ever play regularly in the NHL.

Are those enough reasons?

Lind/Gadjovich/MacEwan/Highmore.... pretty darn similar in value so losing one over the other is a pretty tiny price to be paid in expansion all things considered.  None of them will make it through Seattle training camp without ending up on waivers.  Seattle will be deep enough that these guys are AHL depth for them, so if we really like whoever we lose we can probably just get them again before the season starts.

The only possible loss is that if Seattle really liked Lind but none of the other guys and would have taken Holtby if Lind wasn't available.  That is a pretty unlikely scenario.

Maybe they take Holtby anyways and try to corner the market on goaltenders to auction some of them off again.

27 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Seattle probably taking Holtby anyway. So probably not that big of a gamble.

I don't know...there are a lot of good goalies available for less cap hit than Holtby.  I think if anyone is concerned about losing any of the prospects/fourth liners, they have good reason to feel that way.  I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that Holtby is taken.  I hope he is.

Word is, Kraken will take Chris Driedger as one of their goalie picks (can't remember where I saw it, but I'm certain I'm not dreaming this up).

EDIT (Addendum)

Should also add that the performance of Canucks prospects with the Comets this past season will probably be taken with a grain of salt by Kraken management.  Most of the top AHL players were sitting on taxi squads so the level of AHL competition was probably at its all time low (just speculating, but I think it's a safe one to make).  As good a season as Lind and Gadjovich may have had, their play may have been magnified due to level of competition.  Just saying.

Edited by bigbadcanucks

1 minute ago, kloubek said:

We are hopeful because we don't need Holtby. He's not the goalie he used to be, and he takes up a bigger chunk of cash than we need to spend in a backup.

...and yes, we then continue to develop Lind.

In Dickinson, we have a proven guy (in many ways) to fill a needed spot immediately. Lind may or may not ever play regularly in the NHL.

Are those enough reasons?

No. :lol:

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes.  And he also said he wants to make the playoffs next year.  Dickinson played in the Stanley Cup final not too long ago.  Lind at the same time was playing in the AHL. Lind isn't going to help us make the playoffs, Dickinson will. 

Are you suggesting Benning is of the opinion Lind will not develop into an NHL player, who is as good (or contributes as much to a club) as Dickinson?  

Pettersson, Boeser, Miller, Horvat, Pearson, Dickinson, Motte.

That's your 7 forwards.  Seattle can pick one of Virtanen, Lind, MacEwen, Gadjovich, Highmore.  Or they can take Madison Bowey.  Or they can take Holtby.

Which one you think they are taking?

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 2

24 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

There was a guy on CDC a while ago who claimed he was connected to scouting. His "name" was a goaltender from a bit back, and his info said that Lind wouldn't be a regular NHL player. Anyone remember who I'm thinking of?

Goldberg? 

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Pettersson, Boeser, Miller, Horvat, Pearson, Dickinson, Motte.

That's your 7 forwards.  Seattle can pick one of Virtanen, Lind, MacEwen, Gadjovich, Highmore.  Or they can take Madison Bowey.  Or they can take Holtby.

Which one you think they are taking?

With that selection they might just end up picking a name out of a hat