The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jason Dickinson | #18 | C

-AJ-

15 minutes ago, Cat Man said:

Patience I say!

JD will have a bounce back season...BOOK IT:)

Let him earn his way back in Abby.

We've already got Hogs to be patient with.

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Upvote 1

On 6/29/2022 at 9:17 AM, Hairy Kneel said:

Let him earn his way back in Abby.

We've already got Hogs to be patient with.

• The Canucks are unlikely to pursue a buyout with center Jason Dickinson this month, notes Thomas Drance of The Athletic (subscription link). Vancouver acquired the 26-year-old last summer with the hope that he could be a quality third-line center, signing him to a three-year deal that carries a $2.65MM cap hit.  However, Dickinson managed to put up just five goals and six assists in 62 games this past season, numbers that aren’t close to justifying that cap hit.  But since a buyout cost wouldn’t yield considerably higher savings than waiving and demoting him, the Canucks may be better off keeping him around or flipping him for another player that’s similarly underachieving.

36 minutes ago, wildcam said:
  • The Canucks are unlikely to pursue a buyout with center Jason Dickinson this month, notes Thomas Drance of The Athletic (subscription link). Vancouver acquired the 26-year-old last summer with the hope that he could be a quality third-line center, signing him to a three-year deal that carries a $2.65MM cap hit.  However, Dickinson managed to put up just five goals and six assists in 62 games this past season, numbers that aren’t close to justifying that cap hit.  But since a buyout cost wouldn’t yield considerably higher savings than waiving and demoting him, the Canucks may be better off keeping him around or flipping him for another player that’s similarly underachieving.

If they have to keep him ee should send him down and save a 1.26M or thereabouts. 

Maybe he can rekindle his game riding the bus.

• Haha 1

On 6/30/2022 at 12:03 AM, NorthWestNuck said:

I have a feeling the third line left winger spot will be a battle between Pearson and Dickinson, depending on who is easier to move during the off season. Other player gets the spot.

Pearson is much better than Dickinson. He is also more tradeable. He may get moved.  But no way Dickinson stays up and Pearson goes down. I expect both of them get moved.

At least with Poolman there's a chance he can contribute, his season was really messed with injuries and while he looked dreadful under Green, he did look a bit more respectable under Boudreau.

Dickinson on the other hand showed us everything he's got. Bad at faceoffs, cannot be trusted to defend as a center on his own line and was only useful on the wing. 2.5M for a bottom 6 winger who doesn't score much, hit, defend or kill penalties well is 1.5M too much.

There's always a chance that a good off-season makes him better but I think he's not going to improve very much.

5 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

At least with Poolman there's a chance he can contribute, his season was really messed with injuries and while he looked dreadful under Green, he did look a bit more respectable under Boudreau.

Dickinson on the other hand showed us everything he's got. Bad at faceoffs, cannot be trusted to defend as a center on his own line and was only useful on the wing. 2.5M for a bottom 6 winger who doesn't score much, hit, defend or kill penalties well is 1.5M too much.

There's always a chance that a good off-season makes him better but I think he's not going to improve very much.

His ceiling is probably what we saw in Dallas before he came here, which wouldn't fix everything (noteably, faceoffs), but it would be nice little improvement at least.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

His ceiling is probably what we saw in Dallas before he came here, which wouldn't fix everything (noteably, faceoffs), but it would be nice little improvement at least.

If Jason can be a consistent 3LW, I would be ecstatic. I would be very happy if he could reach his ceiling in Dallas.

Nucks need to forget about him playing C. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

His offensive production isn’t all that different than it was in Dallas.  The issue was everyone’s expectations that he would be better with more opportunity.  Needs to be shutdown player to be contribute to team winning.  25 points in a 80 game run is probably peak of production.

• Thanks 1

I hope he was watching Colorado in the playoffs and seeing how guys with physical tools can be valuable contributors if they just hustle.

He could probably be effective if he decides he's just going to work his ass off every shift on the forecheck and backcheck. 

Doesn't have the IQ or skill to really be anything else.

The path is there, so we'll see how hard he wants to work for it.

On 7/8/2022 at 4:17 PM, Snake Doctor said:

There is no reason to keep him in the NHL if he is playing the same game next year. I sure hope he starts in the AHL

Pick your poison...four options on what you can do with Dickinson:

• buy him out and be on the hook for almost a $1M for 2022-23, 2024-25 and 2025-26 and almost $400K in 2023-24,
  • bury him on some other team's farm team and get almost $1.1M cap relief for the next two seasons (in another words, have about $1.6M charged as dead cap)
  • get him to agree to terminate the contract and then put him on unrecallable waivers
  • trade him somewhere far from Vancouver giving up an asset that justifies regaining the $2.65M cap hit that Dickison is stealing from the Canucks.

If I'm PA/JR, I'd do my damnedest to exercise/accomplish option 3.

The problem is, 2.5M is a lot for even just an average 3rd line winger. We could sign Lazar for 1M and he could do a better job let alone Deslauriers. 

I think it's going to be too hard for this management team to trade players this off-season, they've got high expectations and aren't as gung ho as JB which is maybe good in some situations, bad in others, but it means I doubt our roster will look very different next season and we'll probably see Dicky on the 3rd line - hopefully not at C though. Pearson - Tierney - Dickinson would be a pretty good shutdown line.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bigbadcanucks said:

• buy him out and be on the hook for almost a $1M for 2022-23, 2024-25 and 2025-26 and almost $400K in 2023-24,
  • bury him on some other team's farm team and get almost $1.1M cap relief for the next two seasons (in another words, have about $1.6M charged as dead cap)
  • get him to agree to terminate the contract and then put him on unrecallable waivers
  • trade him somewhere far from Vancouver giving up an asset that justifies regaining the $2.65M cap hit that Dickison is stealing from the Canucks.

How many poorly wrapped parting gifts did Benning leave for the next management to unwrap?  Dickinson is just one of many. Pile them all up, and it’s almost an impossible mess to clean up.  

• Vintage 1

On 7/9/2022 at 9:39 PM, bigbadcanucks said:

I don’t think anyone would trade for him so I think he’s buried in the minors.

• Cheers 1