The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning to speak to the media Thursday prior to draft

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

45 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

didn't all he say was teams were talking to Jakes agent? they may just want to know the details of whats going on and get him for free or wait until he's bought out and low ball him. 

He said that he gave other teams permission to talk to his agent. He also said that it was not for the purpose of a buyout.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

He said that he gave other teams permission to talk to his agent. He also said that it was not for the purpose of a buyout.

ah thx. I didn't catch that part. A trade would be great. 

• Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Matt Murray is a two time Stanley Cup champion.  Joey Daccord is almost 25 years old and has played a total of 9 NHL games with an 0.897 SV%.  Let's not get carried away here.

Matt Murray has been garbo for 2 seasons and was the main factor in the Sens being awful last season. Goalies also typically develop at that rate unless they're prodigies and high draft picks. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

QUOTE me on this: Joey Daccord will be an NHL goaltender and a decent one at that. The rest though you're right about lol. Daccord is a very technically solid goaltender that Ottawa was stupid to let go. He's their best goaltender for christ sakes! 

Over Gustavsson?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Matt Murray has been garbo for 2 seasons and was the main factor in the Sens being awful last season. Goalies also typically develop at that rate unless they're prodigies and high draft picks. 

Joey played 2 games in the AHL last year with a SV% of 0.867.  9 games with Ottawa at 0.897.  He will really need to speed up his development if he wants to be a starting goalie in the NHL before he hits 30.

1 hour ago, Provost said:

Actually that is absolutely not true.  He gambled that Demko wasn’t ready so signed the most expensive back up possible to insulate him for a couple of years until he was ready.

We could have signed a $1-2 million back up and saved millions in cap space.

JB just needs more time to figure out how the cap works.......

• Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 3

Just now, Dazzle said:

That's not the definition of a gamble if you're taking steps to ensure security.

I think signing a veteran goalie was a necessity, in case that Demko was a one-off success story. Also, it wouldn't have been good to overwhelm him with starter duties, in case he needed more development time. Clearly signing Holtby done out of an abundance of caution. Arguably, he was signed for too much. Yet the philosophy of insulating Demko was not wrong.

I think it was also good for Demko mentally knowing that the load was not all on him.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Actually that is absolutely not true.  He gambled that Demko wasn’t ready so signed the most expensive back up possible to insulate him for a couple of years until he was ready.

That's the opposite of gambling.  

After we signed Holtby, these were the goalies that signed 1-way contracts that off-season (that we could've picked from). 

Anton Forsberg 700,000 (coming off a season where he only managed 3 starts in the NHL) 

Corey Crawford 3.9 mil 

Thomas Greiss 3.6 mil 

Mike Smith 1.5 mil 

Aaron Dell 800,00 (he posted a GAA higher then 4.1 and only managed to get 7 starts) 

Jake Allen 2.9 mil 

Alex Georgiev 2.5 mil 

Linus Ullmark 2.6 mil 

Provost you're not as bad as some other fans, but people treat this as if it was an EA Sports video game. 

First of all, just because you want a player doesn't mean that he will sign with you and not with one of the other 30 teams.  Second of all, players cost more then people think.  Everyone cherry picks one player that's a good value and conveniently ignores 10 other players. 

The other issue was the context of last off-season.  Demko had never been a starter.  Demko also has a really bad history of injuries that take him out of the lineup for months at a time (concussions and hip). I didn't feel comfortable letting go of Marky, and I totally get why Benning got the safest backup that could take over as a starter if he needed to. That safety net ended up costing us 2 million more then one of the other guys.  

I get that the two million extra gets tacked onto Luongo recapture, Loui's albatross and Roussell's injury riddled waste of cap.  I can't wait to get all this cap space freed up next year, but it's not a reason to bash Benning at every opportunity like we're seeing with a segment of our fanbase. 

Who? Other options like Greiss/Talbot sign for 3M.

Aaron Dell? What would the reaction have been to a Dell/Demko tandem, especially when Demko struggled early on.

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Cheers 1

37 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

That's not the definition of a gamble if you're taking steps to ensure security.

I think signing a veteran goalie was a necessity, in case that Demko was a one-off success story. Also, it wouldn't have been good to overwhelm him with starter duties, in case he needed more development time. Clearly signing Holtby done out of an abundance of caution. Arguably, he was signed for too much. Yet the philosophy of insulating Demko was not wrong.

Essentially it was investing in Demko, as they prioritized his development in taking this step, rather than throwing him to the wolves.

• Cheers 1

On 7/21/2021 at 4:28 PM, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

And then we sign the bald guy with the Lays chips bag for another 3 years? 

On 7/21/2021 at 4:38 PM, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I mean, it could go further - like him announcing the hiring of Iron Mike as his capologist...

Too soon. 

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

That's the opposite of gambling.  

After we signed Holtby, these were the goalies that signed 1-way contracts that off-season (that we could've picked from). 

Anton Forsberg 700,000 (coming off a season where he only managed 3 starts in the NHL) 

Corey Crawford 3.9 mil 

Thomas Greiss 3.6 mil 

Mike Smith 1.5 mil 

Aaron Dell 800,00 (he posted a GAA higher then 4.1 and only managed to get 7 starts) 

Jake Allen 2.9 mil 

Alex Georgiev 2.5 mil 

Linus Ullmark 2.6 mil 

Provost you're not as bad as some other fans, but people treat this as if it was an EA Sports video game. 

First of all, just because you want a player doesn't mean that he will sign with you and not with one of the other 30 teams.  Second of all, players cost more then people think.  Everyone cherry picks one player that's a good value and conveniently ignores 10 other players. 

The other issue was the context of last off-season.  Demko had never been a starter.  Demko also has a really bad history of injuries that take him out of the lineup for months at a time (concussions and hip). I didn't feel comfortable letting go of Marky, and I totally get why Benning got the safest backup that could take over as a starter if he needed to. That safety net ended up costing us 2 million more then one of the other guys.  

I get that the two million extra gets tacked onto Luongo recapture, Loui's albatross and Roussell's injury riddled waste of cap.  I can't wait to get all this cap space freed up next year, but it's not a reason to bash Benning at every opportunity like we're seeing with a segment of our fanbase. 

"Hey, Jake Allen. Get in the car."

"No".

regards,  G.

• Haha 1