The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

32 minutes ago, JohnTavares said:

CDC in a nutshell.

Great job SN for calling it like it is, despite going against the grain. 

I mean you’re doing the same with OEL  last season at worst he was our 2nd best defenseman. 

plugging your ears and stamping your feet does f all to change that. 

• Cheers 3
  • There it is 1

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

I mean you’re doing the same with OEL  last season at worst he was our 2nd best defenseman. 

plugging your ears and stamping your feet does f all to change that. 

OEL was great last year.  He’s only 30.  He has lots of elite years left in him.  We need Demko to get healthy and to improve our support group.  IMHAO OEL and our core group is good enough to build a winner around. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Alflives said:

OEL was great last year.  He’s only 30.  He has lots of elite years left in him.  We need Demko to get healthy and to improve our support group.  IMHAO OEL and our core group is good enough to build a winner around. 

I don’t know about Elite years but he’s not going to fall off a cliff either. They do need to either move him or improve at least 2 more dmen if he stays too Myers and Stillman need to be upgraded on to start. 

• Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

I don’t know about Elite years but he’s not going to fall off a cliff either. They do need to either move him or improve at least 2 more dmen if he stays too Myers and Stillman need to be upgraded on to start. 

OEL and Myers were fabulous together last year, because we had a healthy Demko backing them.  If Demko is healthy we are looking so much better.  

42 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

D77A5221-94FB-4980-ACB2-4B342CD9AB58.jpeg

I lived in Victoria when Pederson was a Cougar and I was so excited as a little kid getting my favorite player on my favorite NHL team.  Obviously it was a disaster but this little kid was happy.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Bell said:

I lived in Victoria when Pederson was a Cougar and I was so excited as a little kid getting my favorite player on my favorite NHL team.  Obviously it was a disaster but this little kid was happy.

That’s neat! I have to say I hated the trade day one just because I was a huge Neely fan with his size and toughness. He reminded me a lot of Curt Fraser but even better hands. I had my fingers crossed for BP and his shoulder the same way I did with OEL and his contract but no denying I was bummed.

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, Bell said:

In his 4th year with the Bruins, Pederson had a benign tumour removed from his shoulder, which was the

beginning of the gradual decline in his offensive game.  Was there a lack of due diligence on behalf of

the Canucks?  Did the Bruins hold back on the impact of the surgery on Pederson's game? Or was it just

plain bad luck for Barry and the Canucks?  Whatever the case, Barry Pederson was one hell of a player.

This one's for you, Bell...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, JohnTavares said:

CDC in a nutshell.

Great job SN for calling it like it is, despite going against the grain. 

I still make that trade at that point in our history. I also don’t think OEL’s contract is that bad. 

I think @-SN-wasn’t far off with the bare cupboards comment, but we’ll see. 

Edited by J-Dizzle
  • Cheers 3

3 hours ago, higgyfan said:

In his 4th year with the Bruins, Pederson had a benign tumour removed from his shoulder, which was the

beginning of the gradual decline in his offensive game.  Was there a lack of due diligence on behalf of

the Canucks?  Did the Bruins hold back on the impact of the surgery on Pederson's game? Or was it just

plain bad luck for Barry and the Canucks?  Whatever the case, Barry Pederson was one hell of a player.

This one's for you, Bell...

Thanks for that

20 hours ago, JohnTavares said:

So they took a risk and they failed.

Pederson still had 2 productive years for us.

That's basically what hindsight means.

This trade was bad from the start and many called it from the beginning, just check the first couple of pages.  Similarly, Naslund for Stojanov trade was bad the instant it was made.

Pederson was packaged with Tanti for Quinn who was packaged with Butcher for Ronning/Courtnall/Memesso so at least his trade tree has a happy ending!

I think the big difference is that Pederson didn't necessarily have negative value as a Canucks. We couldn't simply trade OEL for 'future considerations' he would cost quite a bit to unload. And with his production and salary I don't think Garland would generate a return anymore either. 

There is no guarantee Neely would have turned it around - he had three years and came off of his lowest goal output. While this worked out amazing for Boston in hindsight at the time Neely could have been another Jim Sandlak. Also people who say we could have drafted Sakic - he went 15th and that pick was #3. Another Burnaby Boy Chris Joseph went 5th overall. 

With the OEL trade even if we kept the picks and they ended up being busts we would still have been further ahead not having all of the salary tied up. 

Edited by canucklehead44

2 hours ago, coryberg said:

Milan Lucic --> Colin Miller, Sean Kuraly, Trent Frederic and #13 in 2015

#16-18 went a lil something like this....

Screenshot_20221224_090954_Chrome.jpg

It still blows my mind how badly Boston messed up that draft. They went way off the board to take Senyshyn and DeBrusk wasn't expected to go until late in the 1st. I'll give them a pass on Zboril because it was a toss up on who was the higher ranked defenseman between him and Chabot.

DeBrusk has ended up becoming a solid player, but still isn't anywhere near Barzal or Connor who were both considered top 10 talents.

• Cheers 1

On 12/24/2022 at 9:02 PM, Diamonds said:

It still blows my mind how badly Boston messed up that draft. They went way off the board to take Senyshyn and DeBrusk wasn't expected to go until late in the 1st. I'll give them a pass on Zboril because it was a toss up on who was the higher ranked defenseman between him and Chabot.

DeBrusk has ended up becoming a solid player, but still isn't anywhere near Barzal or Connor who were both considered top 10 talents.

The Draft for Boston was kind of underwhelming but they made it up next year with David Pastrnak. Considering they made to the finals once since and are likely going to win the President's trophy this season, the mistake made here was not a blow to the organization. It just goes to show GM's are allowed to make mistakes as long as the other moves they make more than makes up their mistakes. Tampa also has had quite a few misses in their 1st round picks but were able to hit it in other areas where their 1st round mistakes didn't matter at all as they won back to back cups.

The problem with Benning is not just this move but all the other mistakes he made compounded together leading to this trade being the absolute backbreaker for the team.

• Sad 1

52 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

The Draft for Boston was kind of underwhelming but they made it up next year with David Pastrnak. Considering they made to the finals once since and are likely going to win the President's trophy this season, the mistake made here was not a blow to the organization. It just goes to show GM's are allowed to make mistakes as long as the other moves they make more than makes up their mistakes. Tampa also has had quite a few misses in their 1st round picks but were able to hit it in other areas where their 1st round mistakes didn't matter at all as they won back to back cups.

The problem with Benning is not just this move but all the other mistakes he made compounded together leading to this trade being the absolute backbreaker for the team.

Yep.  I didn't even think a trade like this was possible.   The retention was paid for.  And trying to do this during a covid period with a ton of unknowns ... well let's just say, it didn't seem possible at all.     And i was firmly in the let's just let the cap shed naturally camp.    And didn't like the guys who were deemed to be picked around 9 that much either.    That is looking bad right now possibly for sure. 

In the end - like the Miller trade, it wasn't a terrible one at all without context.   Actually it was a very decent one considering the cost to dump that much salary pre-covid, was very very high.   Marleau set the market kind of.   So LE for a first just on his own.     OEL is still an NHL caliber guy.   Garland with minutes, well last year pre Bruce anyways, was totally fine.   Better than fine really.    To me that was a fair value given his contributions and his cap hit on its own for the first.    On average,  Garlands deal unless he ends up in the AHL, he's going to play more NHL games than a 9th overall will as the par line anyways.  

Pearson's deal also seemed very decent.  Didn't expect him to sign for that much.   And also was very decent for us last year, part of 3 of our top four lines last season, didn't matter if it was Miller or Horvat he played with.    Just did it.    For 3.25... considerably less then his previous deal and well - and all he'd have to do for that to work out for us, is score more then 28 or so points to meet the par line again as a UFA and not be a liability (which clearly he isn't at that price tag).   Teams actually missed Pearson.    

Agree JB body of work is flawed.   And that's now been passed onto the next group of managers.   Just hope the fanbase isn't too fickle if we do go back into rebuild mode.    The team has to make a decision on Horvat this year.   If he's not signed and even if we are second in our division by then, it needs to follow through on JRs promises not to let free agents go for nothing.  

Edited by IBatch