The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Boston has offer on the table for Canucks backup Braden Holtby

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

If Toronto wants Holtby it’s because they’re losing Andersen and need a 1B in case Campbell was a flash in the pan.

They can go to the market and try and get that player but they’re probably going to pay just as much for a player of Holtbys level.

They absolutely need a legit backup otherwise their season could go sideways real quick.

Toronto media will try to paint it as if we’re the desperate ones but it’s quite the opposite.

Exactly

Nice  post

8 minutes ago, tas said:

it just looks challenging financially to fill the remaining holes on the roster if both schmidt and holtby return. 

I think they'd have to sign their last 4 or 5 depth players in the million range if they don't make those moves.

I'm fine with that.

I don't expect deals in excess of 7 millon bridges for our young RFAs and not in excess of that for the pair of Garland and Dickinson.

Remembering that they can go up to 10% over the cap (they won't need to go over 5% imo) - and then LTIR Ferland's 3.5 million for opening night - I think they'd be fine.

They have guys like Podkolzin, Lockwood, Gadjovich, etc already signed.  They have Woo, Bowey, etc (Brisebois RFA) - some viable/serviceable AHL depth already at or near NHL ready.   These guys are all sub 1 million cap hits.

The options imo are to create more cap in order to continue to 'get aggressive' - or simply go to the market for a few reasonable options (if they can't get a Savard, Hakanpaa, etc) there are still the Ceci etc (rhd) types, the Smith etc (lhd) types - bring back a Fantenburg - whatever - for me it's borderline 6 of one, a half dozen of the other.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, EliasBoeser said:

They can have Holtby with 100% salary retained, if I can punch Marchand in the face.  Final offer.

Yea, then out of no where Thomas would come and take your knees out from behind, you buckle, punching into the air like the “cabs are here” and Marchand throat punches you… 

• RoughGame 1

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

I think they'd have to sign their last 4 or 5 depth players in the million range if they don't make those moves.

I'm fine with that.

I don't expect deals in excess of 7 millon bridges for our young RFAs and not in excess of that for the pair of Garland and Dickinson.

Remembering that they can go up to 10% over the cap (they won't need to go over 5% imo) - and then LTIR Ferland's 3.5 million for opening night - I think they'd be fine.

They have guys like Podkolzin, Lockwood, Gadjovich, etc already signed.  They have Woo, Bowey, etc (Brisebois RFA) - some viable/serviceable AHL depth already at or near NHL ready.   These guys are all sub 1 million cap hits.

The options imo are to create more cap in order to continue to 'get aggressive' - or simply go to the market for a few reasonable options (if they can't get a Savard, Hakanpaa, etc) there are still the Ceci etc (rhd) types, the Smith etc (lhd) types - bring back a Fantenburg - whatever - for me it's borderline 6 of one, a half dozen of the other.

I think if you can throw in a gadjovich (a prospect that I personally don't feel has much nhl upside) with holtby in the name of plugging one or more of those roster holes with better pieces than brisebois, bowey, ceci, etc. it's an easy decision to make for me. 

1 minute ago, tas said:

I think if you can throw in a gadjovich (a prospect that I personally don't feel has much nhl upside) with holtby in the name of plugging one or more of those roster holes with better pieces than brisebois, bowey, ceci, etc. it's an easy decision to make for me. 

I guess we disagree on the value of Gadjovich.  For me he was a 2nd round pick that has sustained his draft value / odds of being an NHL asset - and a player of the 'type' and position that this team needs in it's pipeline.

Ceci is not an AHL prospect equivalency - so I don't see the point of discussion like this when we don't look realistically at these 'equivalencies' ie likewise when you equate a Gadjovich throw-in to a 5th round pick.  If you're going to do that, we may as well make equivalencies of the 'lesser' options in free agency to the mid tier that we're hoping to look at.  And further, it looks like there's a good chance that the mid-tier - or at least what we formerly considered mid-tier (ie Savard) could now be considered a 'big fish' in free agency (perhaps it's reasonable that his value upticked in context, and after having been snapped up by a contender in a Cup run).  If that is in fact the case - then pass on Savard regardless - because getting frenzied in order to be 'aggressive' is not my idea of a prudent offseason.

The Savard that the Columbus Blue Jackets were selling - I'd be interested in.  The Savard post-Cup that a handful of teams are likely to take a run at - no thanks.

It's akin to what Seattle paid for Oleksiak - a player I liked - before I saw what they paid for him.  Seattle may have strategically set the market high for a number of reasons (both cap to spend and assets to sell) - it's possible the market does not play out as they hope/anticipate (certainly the one thing that didn't necessarily pan out for Vegas was the attempt to stockpile and resell, and surprisingly post-e.d. virtually no one ponied up.

In any event - are there really any targets that can be had at reasonable market value that make it worth dumping an RFA 2nd round pick for?

That is highly debatable, considering the amount of interest there appears to be in the assets hitting the market - and what teams have been willing to do to get out ahead of that market (Larsson, Oleksiak, Martinez, etc) - which tightens the UFA market even more.

I'm not particularly inclined to 'get aggressive' in order to get into that market.

Yes - the team has made improvements this offseason - but this coming season is not the priority imo.  I'm happy they're poised to be more competitive, but there's a limit in assets that I'm willing to spend short term to do so.

We already got more than I'd anticipated out of the 9OA and a 2nd - but going more in - in order to get into a shrinking buyer's market - is not my idea of a great plan in this short term.

Be more patient around Holtby and Schmidt - we don't really need to move either of them - and doing so in - a subtraction, in order to make an addition, doesn't necessarily get us much, if any, further ahead imo.  Is the team better with a particular mid range UFA than they are with Schmidt?  I'd like to hear the analysis around that before wasting assets to move cap.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Yeah - and who cares - the Leafs aren't serious buyers anyway.

They're welcome to bust rocks and doddle to infinity like they did around Luongo.

Jog on Toronto.

Enjoy the cap $&!#uation you've gotten yourselves into.  Don't expect us to retain to help  you out.

Edited by oldnews
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

Not when you have a rookie starter.

And not for a number of teams who are losing goaltenders to FA or the e.d....

We have a solid use for Holtby if he's not moved.

He can be bought out for a 500k and 1.9m cap hit - an option I do not advocate.

It's really simple imo - if a team doesn't want to take him on as is - move on to your next option - we will keep him.

Yeah... I'd be willing to retain something like $500k-$1m for a correspondingly improved trade return (which would roughly equate to the same savings as a buyout without doing one) but we have little/no pressure to PAY to move him.

As you stated, better off just keeping him the one piddly year and bite the bullet elsewhere on cheaper depth D.

If someone wants him, they'll have to actually deal.

11 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Hope something gets done today. Perhaps maybe any minute now. 

Probably not until after free agency and some teams plan A's fall through. Have to wait for other dominoes to fall and a team to get desperate and pony up. Patience will pay off here, same as any potential Schmidt trade ;)

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

Toronto will be interesting without Anderson.  He's been putting lip stick on that backend for some time.

And that one bad goal that Campbell gave up (after standing on his head for them) - will be the signature of his Leafs playoffs performance needs and the pressure he'll continue to be under there, as that teams depth continues to wither and wilt (due to Dubas' shiny forward build).   

When you're built like the Fleas, you can't afford lapses in the playoffs  - something they have multiples of every single time they've been under pressure attempting to close anything out.  They've folded, repeatedly, period. 

I really like Campbell - he's extremely likeable - but I sure as hell would not envy the position he's gonna be in there.

Go ahead and back out of the Holtby discussion Toronto.   There must be a 40+ yr old league minimum goaltender that grew up drinking from Leafs baby cups that's willing to come there to help  you win a cup.

Edited by oldnews
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Toronto will be interesting without Anderson.  He's been putting Leipsic on that backend for some time.

Go ahead and back out of the Holtby discussion Toronto.   There must be a 40+ yr old league minimum goaltender that grew up drinking from Leafs baby cups that's willing to come there to help  you win a cup.

David Ayres? 

Edited by Alflives
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I guess we disagree on the value of Gadjovich.  For me he was a 2nd round pick that has sustained his draft value / odds of being an NHL asset - and a player of the 'type' and position that this team needs in it's pipeline.

Ceci is not an AHL prospect equivalency - so I don't see the point of discussion like this when we don't look realistically at these 'equivalencies' ie likewise when you equate a Gadjovich throw-in to a 5th round pick.  If you're going to do that, we may as well make equivalencies of the 'lesser' options in free agency to the mid tier that we're hoping to look at.  And further, it looks like there's a good chance that the mid-tier - or at least what we formerly considered mid-tier (ie Savard) could now be considered a 'big fish' in free agency (perhaps it's reasonable that his value upticked in context, and after having been snapped up by a contender in a Cup run).  If that is in fact the case - then pass on Savard regardless - because getting frenzied in order to be 'aggressive' is not my idea of a prudent offseason.

The Savard that the Columbus Blue Jackets were selling - I'd be interested in.  The Savard post-Cup that a handful of teams are likely to take a run at - no thanks.

It's akin to what Seattle paid for Oleksiak - a player I liked - before I saw what they paid for him.  Seattle may have strategically set the market high for a number of reasons (both cap to spend and assets to sell) - it's possible the market does not play out as they hope/anticipate (certainly the one thing that didn't necessarily pan out for Vegas was the attempt to stockpile and resell, and surprisingly post-e.d. virtually no one ponied up.

In any event - are there really any targets that can be had at reasonable market value that make it worth dumping an RFA 2nd round pick for?

That is highly debatable, considering the amount of interest there appears to be in the assets hitting the market - and what teams have been willing to do to get out ahead of that market (Larsson, Oleksiak, Martinez, etc) - which tightens the UFA market even more.

I'm not particularly inclined to 'get aggressive' in order to get into that market.

Yes - the team has made improvements this offseason - but this coming season is not the priority imo.  I'm happy they're poised to be more competitive, but there's a limit in assets that I'm willing to spend short term to do so.

We already got more than I'd anticipated out of the 9OA and a 2nd - but going more in - in order to get into a shrinking buyer's market - is not my idea of a great plan in this short term.

Be more patient around Holtby and Schmidt - we don't really need to move either of them - and doing so in - a subtraction, in order to make an addition, doesn't necessarily get us much, if any, further ahead imo.  Is the team better with a particular mid range UFA than they are with Schmidt?  I'd like to hear the analysis around that before wasting assets to move cap.

that's all well and good, but the thing is, whether you or I think now is the time to be aggressive or not is irrelevant, because we know that the team is focused on doing so. we have a management team whose continued employment hinges on substantial improvement and making the playoffs. 

if not being able to move schmidt's or holtby's salaries prevents then from upgrading in areas that jim is determined to upgrade, he'll likely seek other, less desirable avenues for doing so. moving boeser for a 1rd maybe? who knows?

all I know is that holtby and schmidt are the last 2 remaining large salaries that aren't likely part of the main group moving forward. I guess there's an outside chance they move on from myers, but I think it's far more likely that he's wearing an "a" next year. 

Just now, tas said:

that's all well and good, but the thing is, whether you or I think now is the time to be aggressive or not is irrelevant, because we know that the team is focused on doing so. we have a management team whose continued employment hinges on substantial improvement and making the playoffs. 

if not being able to move schmidt's or holtby's salaries prevents then from upgrading in areas that jim is determined to upgrade, he'll likely seek other, less desirable avenues for doing so. moving boeser for a 1rd maybe? who knows?

all I know is that holtby and schmidt are the last 2 remaining large salaries that aren't likely part of the main group moving forward. I guess there's an outside chance they move on from myers, but I think it's far more likely that he's wearing an "a" next year. 

I don't agree whatsoever - but that doesn't matter.

Let's get to brass tacks - let's see your proposal to "upgrade" over Schmidt using the cap you gain.