The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Travis Hamonic

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

If you partner someone with a shutdown guy, you become a shutdown guy.  You will be playing against the other teams b st forwards most of the time

Hughes was partnered with Tanev in his rookie season. He wasn't a shutdown D then.

Hughes needs someone dependable behind him while he's wheeling

36 minutes ago, Josepho said:

Massive overpay in terms of AAV.

So, only because he signed a "show me" $1 mil contract last year, you suddenly think that is his real value? That was a deal in COVID world with his family needs in mind. Based on his skill set, pedigree and current market values, $3 mil/year is a fair price for Hamonic and for the Canucks. You are still entitled to your opinion, though, no matter how misguided it might be :-)

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

5 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Oh look, another anti-Benning patrolling at full force.

If you can't see Harmonic is an excellent Tanev replacement, you're not a hockey fan.

Go watch cricket.

Hughes-Tanev was a monumentally better pairing by every metric than Hughes-Hamonic.

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 2

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

If you partner someone with a shutdown guy, you become a shutdown guy.  You will be playing against the other teams b st forwards most of the time

Not always and when your a top 4 dman you’re probably going to get matched up regardless against top 6. Hughes and Tanev didn’t get primarily matched up to shutdown every game I don’t think? Edler did a lot.

isnt that like saying you partner with an offensive /pp guy you become an offensive /pp guy too? 

7 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

If you can't see Harmonic is an excellent Tanev replacement, you're not a hockey fan.

Go watch cricket.

“Cricket? You got to understand what a crumpet is to understand cricket!” 

“Jose conseco bat? Tell me you didn’t pay money for that?!!” 

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

Why would you want Hughes in a shutdown role, playing against the top offensive players every night?  You want to shelter him from that, not seek it out

Perhaps "shutdown" is misleading in the most traditional sense. He would be expected to cover for Hughes, anticipate possession changes and shut down anybody trying to break out behind the play. This allows Hughes to pinch and go deep while not being AS concerned about losing his defensive positioning. This is why Hughes and Tanev worked off each other do well, yet Tanev was clearly our shutdown guy.

Same thing here. We need that ability, but it also has to be a guy who doesn't completely ruin the cycle game. He doesn't have to put up a lot of points, but has to work well in the system and in the role he's expected to play with Hughes. I assume Hamonic will be that guy.... who does just fine with not killing the play but isn't exactly the big shutdown specimen I think would have been ideal.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Go watch cricket.

This guy really compared Tanev and Hamonic :lol:

• RoughGame 1

4 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Hughes was partnered with Tanev in his rookie season. He wasn't a shutdown D then.

Hughes needs someone dependable behind him while he's wheeling

I agree, but "shutdown guy" is the wrong term to use.

1 minute ago, Silky mitts said:

watch out Jimbo slurpers can't handle the truth 

What’s your point though? Live in the past? Tanev chose to make his own decision.

Propose what you think should’ve have happened then…?

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Josepho said:

Hughes-Tanev was a monumentally better pairing by every metric than Hughes-Hamonic.

You don’t need a “metric” if you watched any games at all last year.  The entire team team was a mess due to no practice time and Covid.  

The stats mean very little.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1