The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021-22 Abbotsford Canucks Thread

On 8/15/2021 at 9:00 AM, Jack Fig said:

I've heard scouts opine that Nielsen has a good chance to be a solid AHL player. Anything beyond that is truly up to him and how bad he wants it. At least the door is now open to him. It's a good signing. 

Good article on him with several highlight vids. (Slow loading for me, required a little patience,)

On 8/25/2021 at 10:14 AM, theo5789 said:

Any news on whether any games will be broadcasted?

Sportsnet currently does not contain AHL broadcasting rights. Johnston speculates a potential partner in Abbotsford might pick up broadcasting rights, but nothing confirmed yet.

Would be a huge shame to bring the team over to Abbotsford and not capitalize on broadcasting on TV and/or radio exposure, especially if this team is going to be really good.

• Cheers 2

16 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Sportsnet currently does not contain AHL broadcasting rights. Johnston speculates a potential partner in Abbotsford might pick up broadcasting rights, but nothing confirmed yet.

Would be a huge shame to bring the team over to Abbotsford and not capitalize on broadcasting on TV and/or radio exposure, especially if this team is going to be really good.

I believe they showed a few Marlies games before, so don't see why they couldn't have at least a few games. At least go old school where if games aren't sold out, then it's blacked out, but if it's sold out, then broadcast it. If capacity is limited, it would be a decent way to draw interest for when they can open up full capacity.

52 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Nice. Yogi’s one of the most respected skills coaches working in the local Greater Vancouver area. He’ll be an asset for the organization.

Just for a hint at how highly he’s regarded, here’s Elliotte Friedman name checking Svejkovsky a few years back, when discussing basically a who’s who of some of the top specialized coaches working in hockey:

“Whether it is Dawn Braid or Barb Underhill for skating; Darryl Belfry, Jari Byrski, Adam Oates or Yogi Svejkovsky for skills; Glen Tucker or Paul Vincent for shooting — the influence of these coaches is growing. And there are plenty of others out there.”

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-will-canadiens-able-get-defenceman/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

I believe they showed a few Marlies games before, so don't see why they couldn't have at least a few games. At least go old school where if games aren't sold out, then it's blacked out, but if it's sold out, then broadcast it. If capacity is limited, it would be a decent way to draw interest for when they can open up full capacity.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/cknw-serious-look-canucks-radio-rights

Sounds like radio broadcasting contract for Canucks games with Sportnet ends this summer, so perhaps they may be waiting to centralize all their teams in one station outlet rather than establishing it and then switching a year later.

The article above states that CKNW is interested in buying back Canucks radio rights. Although that is just the radio side of things, still not really clear how this is impacted tv wise. But I agree the inaugural season would create quite a draw especially for those in the Fraser Valley region and die hard Canuck fans. I sure hope they come to some sort of agreement, I always love watching more hockey, especially if it relates to our team.

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Slickrick2369 said:

Got my seats today. Amazed to see how much is selling. They have more sessions Tuesday to Sunday next week but centre are virtually all gone. Blue offensive almost all gone. Now corners and ends are starting to be offered. 

I wonder how many a "scalpers"?  Must be alot of build up demand for sporting events right now.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2021 at 8:15 PM, Canuckster86 said:

When does training camp start for the baby Canucks?

Generally whenever the Canucks made their first two rounds of cuts, the players assigned to the Comets would immediately head to Utica to begin their own camp. I would imagine that Abby's training camp would start pretty quickly after Vancouver starts making cuts in training camp.

Great thing is now instead of having to having to wait a few day for players to travel and settle in, just taking the highway down will allow Trent Cull and his staff to potentially get right into things.

• Cheers 1