The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Blue Jackets sign Brendan Gaunce

43 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

Oh man... gotta feel for the guy... he derserves to be in the NHL... look at his stats... he was producing at a point a game in 2018-19 on a +3 but we just let him go.... following season he did alright for the AHL Bruins, scored a point in his only game with Boston... didn't get to stick! was he really that bad??? I hope he gets to redeem himself in Columbus now!

image.png.a83c5cbc60e68090710753db9a1fce08.png

I hope he can come back to the nhl to continue his point per game pace!

• Wat 1

7 minutes ago, Westcoastcanucks777 said:

I hope he can come back to the nhl to continue his point per game pace!

From 2018-2020, he has 4 games played, with 1 goal and 3 assists. Definitely PPG.

Let's trade Pettersson for him then, since he's taking too long to sign. Gaunce is surely gonna rip it up. :rolleyes:  Let's just ignore his three stints of 100+ NHL games though, in favour of the small samples...

Edited by Dazzle

6 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I felt bad for him too. His PPG in 3 games was clearly an anomaly. His game took a step back in the AHL that same year. Suffice to say, Vancouver didn't have any more time to wait for a 2012 1st round pick with limited skating ability.

And my god, look at this freaking page about Gaunce.

https://thehockeywriters.com/brendan-gaunce-the-next-ones-2012-nhl-draft-prospect-profile-built-nhl/

ETA = 1 year

Risk-Reward Analysis: :picard:

Risk= 0.5/5 Reward = 4/5

NHL Potential:

Second-line two-way center with leadership intangibles

Strengths:

*See “THW Close-Up” section above.
– Mature Leader with high character
– Strong Positioning
– Elite Conditioning
– Advanced hockey sense
– Imposing size
– Hard accurate shot
– Versatile

Flaws/Aspects He Needs To Work On:

– Improve skating (first step quickness and agility)
– Improve puck handling skills
– Maintain intensity to fully utilize his imposing frame

Shockingly Gaunce is also described as a "meat and potatoes" kind of guy. I saw his apparent draft rank was about 14 or so?

Off The Iron (Interesting Notes):

• Brendan Gaunce is the subject of a book being published by HockeyProspect dubbed “Draft Year: Brendan Gaunce” following the young prospects journey to the NHL. Written by John Matisz, a reporter covering London Knights local news, this publication will be a great read for any avid hockey fan.
  • Brendan Gaunce’s talents are not limited to the ice as he can be found on the field kicking footballs as his high school teams’ punter. His school pride continues as he also starred in Hairspray on the high school stage.
  • Brendan Gaunce made headlines at the 2012 NHL Draft Combine posting top finishes in several tests including leg power (1st), right (4th) and left hand grip (6th), body weight pushups (7th), pull strength (5th) and upper body power throw (2nd).

And all the while the game was getting faster and faster leaving him behind. I wonder if he finally worked on his skating. That should have been one of his main focuses.

• Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, Aladeen said:

However someone has to put food on the table and a roof over their head is not for me to judge 

He doesn’t have too when he gets something warm in his belly…… I’ll see myself out. Really liked this kid though, pushing tryamkin up the grouse grind sold him to me.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

From 2018-2020, he has 4 games played, with 1 goal and 3 assists. Definitely PPG.

Let's trade Pettersson for him then, since he's taking too long to sign. Gaunce is surely gonna rip it up. :rolleyes:  Let's just ignore his three stints of 100+ NHL games though, in favour of the small samples...

Do it for Gauncey!

5 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Glad he’s able to continue his career over here.

Seems like he never took managements advice of working on his skating. Every time it got brought up he seemed to get defensive.

Really the only thing that held him back from being a 4th line center at the NHL level IMO.

He was a decent skater.  I think the issue was they wanted him to use his body more.

Gaunce is still a high iq player and he could still be a full time nhler.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

He was a decent skater.  I think the issue was they wanted him to use his body more.

He was good straight line, I think in the internal races he was one of the fastest on the team. Issue is he wasn't very mobile and as you say didn't use his body much. I think the problem was, in Junior he was a ppg player who was a top 6 center but then had to change his game to make in the NHL and struggled to do so. He is very smart and would conserve his energy and make a move when he had to. The problem is that works in junior, in the NHL everyone is going full speed constantly, so unless you have uber elite skills to slow the game down like the twins, its not going to work. Add in, he was expected to play a hard 4c role and didn't make it tough on opposition. If he improved his mobility in the last few years (as you can, easier to fix that speed), and is willing to throw his weight around, he could still carve out an NHL career. He's a smart, big player, its more about accepting what's required to stick in the league.

Edited by Podz19
  • Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

His average skating didn’t allow him to get into puck battles fast enough to even throw the body.

Okay skater North/south but to make the NHL you’ve gotta be a multi dimensional skater. He just couldn’t cut it.

Had definitely hoped he stuck with the Canucks, especially after winning a Gaunce jersey at the prospects tourney one year, but he never quite put it together despite not being a liability on the 4th line.

9 hours ago, RakuRaku said:

Oh man... gotta feel for the guy... he derserves to be in the NHL... look at his stats... he was producing at a point a game in 2018-19 on a +3 but we just let him go.... following season he did alright for the AHL Bruins, scored a point in his only game with Boston... didn't get to stick! was he really that bad??? I hope he gets to redeem himself in Columbus now!

image.png.a83c5cbc60e68090710753db9a1fce08.png

I like the player and had high hopes back in the day, don’t get me wrong.

But very few people have tried to say Gaunce is a PPG player in the NHL. You came close and that was entertaining. So a big thank you is in order ::D

• Like 1