The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[discussion] Time to trade Oli Jouveli?

You'd be stupid to trade OJ now, just after Edler has departed, Juolevi is our future all-around left sided defenceman. He can put up points, play on the PK and defend - something Hughes and Rathbone can't or might not be able to. He's got a big body, can throw some hits, he can do it all. His value will be disproportionately low as well right now.

For me he's one of the few untouchables - we've been grooming him for years to make it into the NHL and replace Edler, obviously getting OEL will slow this down but he's still got to be our focus.

I know Rathbone jumped the queue last year because of Juolevi's Covid, but I hope Juolevi gets a good look-in as our bottom pairing starting defenceman. We've got OEL and Hughes to provide offence so don't really need Rathbone on our 3rd pairing (Because he's going to be playing with our 3rd and 4th lines so not really offence-minded), but what we need is Juolevi to play some steady defence and help kill penalties.

Regardless of who starts, I hope Juolevi gets a solid 40 games this season and shares time with Rathbone. Of course, one injury to our top-4 (which is always bound to happen every season, if not two injuries) will propel Juolevi up into our top-4 and give him the launching board he needs. This is his season to shine, to trade him now would just be stupid. Also, we have no one else in our ranks defensively anymore prospect-wise who's really any good.

• Cheers 2

12 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

JP berry said today that he doesnt think jim is done trading. Imo i think the team is all in on Rathbone and cant really think of who else would jim would think of trading especially now that we know hunt can jump into the lineup now incase of injuries. 

Not sure what his value is around the league is but maybe we can get a 2nd for him as a young kinda big dman with upside that teams are looking for. Brian Burke is one that said he has all the tools to be a great player invthe league during his draft year. 

wonder if theres a way to get schneider from the rangers who are looking for a young LHD. 

Schneider is apparently off limits in an Eichel trade.  Friedman says Buffalo wants either Schneider or Lundqvist as part of the package and NYR don't want to go there.  So if they won't trade Schneider for a top end C1 that they really want it's probably not likely that they would for Juolevi.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Wouldn’t surprise me if they put him on waivers if and most likely when he doesnt beat out rathbone in training camp. Having him sit waiting for a injury to play doesnt seem good for either him or the canucks. I suggest most of you get ready for this.

Put a guy on waivers right after we protected him from Seattle?  I think OJ is on the team, and Bone (even if he is better) will go to Abbotsford, because he doesn’t require waivers.  This is our bottom pair, lowest minute D spot.  OJ or Bone playing 6-10 min/game?  I really think ?Bone is best in Abby playing 20, than up and playing 8. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Put a guy on waivers right after we protected him from Seattle?  I think OJ is on the team, and Bone (even if he is better) will go to Abbotsford, because he doesn’t require waivers.  This is our bottom pair, lowest minute D spot.  OJ or Bone playing 6-10 min/game?  I really think ?Bone is best in Abby playing 20, than up and playing 8. 

They aibt sending rathbone down unless he falls flat on his face everyday at training camp 

36 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

So we can sit OJ and wait for an injury so he can play? If anyone needs to play games its him. 

Sign OJ to a two way contract and have him dominate the AHL if he’s down there.....and call him up when there are injuries.  Let OJ increase his value and then make a decision on him at a later date.  Maybe OJ beats out Rathbone for the final spot.  Take a wait and see approach with this situation, let all parties develop and increase their values, and then make a decision afterwards.

• Wat 1

Juolevi is following a fairly logical path to the NHL if you account for his injuries. 

Hunt does provide some in-house competition for Olli and Jack but I’d still expect them to be 6/7 on the team.  If Juolevi has a bad camp I doubt he’s claimed when everyone makes their cuts and sends Juolevi-like players to the AHL.  There’s really no rush to trade him unless someone knocks your socks off.  

While this year seems pretty critical for him, the benefit of seeing what you have (with his low salary too) outweighs the paltry return he’d command at the moment.

1 hour ago, ilduce39 said:

Juolevi is following a fairly logical path to the NHL if you account for his injuries. 

Hunt does provide some in-house competition for Olli and Jack but I’d still expect them to be 6/7 on the team.  If Juolevi has a bad camp I doubt he’s claimed when everyone makes their cuts and sends Juolevi-like players to the AHL.  There’s really no rush to trade him unless someone knocks your socks off.  

While this year seems pretty critical for him, the benefit of seeing what you have (with his low salary too) outweighs the paltry return he’d command at the moment.

No ots not logical be ause he did have injuriea that have stumped his progression. Were in a situation now where if he doesnt make the team over rathbone his current development is in trouble. Sending him to the AHL is bad for him and he knows it. Waiting till someone is injured is also not good. What if the left side all stay healthy we just gonna make him sit all year and not play? I just dont see him being a part of the group once the season starts via trade or picked from waivers. 

On 7/30/2021 at 4:10 PM, kanucks25 said:

Juolevi likely has little value on the trade market.

Makes more sense for us to keep him and see if he can tap into some of his potential.

Exactly right. You let Rathbone develop in Abby, let OJ show his worth and if we have a problem of too much talent on the left side you deal from strength. you then trade him for a young RD who may be more physical and make a hockey trade.

Not sure why the OP wants to sell low and try to get a second for a kid who showed well last year until he got the worst hit on the team from covid. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

I do not think so as both Green and JB think if a player is better or earned a spot they play no matter

means Bone will play and OJ will sit in the stands!!

On 7/30/2021 at 4:10 PM, NUCKER67 said:

Juolevi has size, he skates really well, and he's got some smarts. I wish Green would give him more opportunity to grow and gain confidence. I think he'll still become a very good Dman if he's given a chance. 

With our new D coach we will likely see that. Baumer is awful. Btw the reason Green sat him post covid was he was the worst hit on the team. Apparently he lost a lot of weight and it hit him really hard. it has nothing to do with his play or green being typical green

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

Sign OJ to a two way contract and have him dominate the AHL if he’s down there.....and call him up when there are injuries.  Let OJ increase his value and then make a decision on him at a later date.  Maybe OJ beats out Rathbone for the final spot.  Take a wait and see approach with this situation, let all parties develop and increase their values, and then make a decision afterwards.

One way/two way, doesn’t matter he still has to go through waivers. He will certainly be picked up. If OJ doesn’t make the roster even as an extra he is most certainly done in Vancouver. 

Two way contract just pays him less to play in the minors and at this point would not look good on Jim to offer him a two-way deal. OJ would be dumb to sign it.

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

One way/two way, doesn’t matter he still has to go through waivers. He will certainly be picked up. If OJ doesn’t make the roster even as an extra he is most certainly done in Vancouver. 

Two way contract just pays him less to play in the minors and at this point would not look good on Jim to offer him a two-way deal. OJ would be dumb to sign it.

Oh ok I see.  Wasn’t aware of that two way/waiver deal.  What about Rathbone?  Would he require waivers?

2 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Oh ok I see.  Wasn’t aware of that two way/waiver deal.  What about Rathbone?  Would he require waivers?

Rathbone is still on his entry level contract so he does not require waivers. That is probably why there is a census of him starting in AHL kinda how Stecher did when he sure looked liked he belonged on the team. 

If you look up the Canucks roster on Capfriendly you can see the icon if a player is waived exempt 

Edited by Devron44
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't think we should read much into the fact that the Canucks protected Juolevi in expansion. They literally didn't have any other option - and I'm not going to entertain Brisebois.

But at the same time I'm sure they don;t want to lose him for nothing.

He is still unable to properly play because he can't turn. Until the canucks are able to help him with this aspect of his skating he will never progress in his development and will atrophy at his current level of a fringe 6/7 guy on a fairly weak defense. That's not to say that there isn't upside. The kid clearly sees the game pretty well at times, has a physical element and good offensive instincts with great outlet passes. But his game sure needs to develop and grow and that can't happen if he doesn't land a spot.

He is stuck in the mushy middle and I feel badly for the kid. What a crap run of injuries. Sure reminds me of Bryan Allen back when he got injured up and down before making the team. Bryan Allen never reached his potential but settled into a decent mid pair guy which is kind of the hope for Olli now.

But back to that idea of the mushy middle, we can't gift him a spot and we can't send him down to the minors. If he makes the lineup and has improved his skating, then great. But in all likelihood he is stuck 'not playing' as our 7/8 and just waiting for someone to get hurt, which is no recipe for improvement.

As much as I recoil at the idea of trading him when he has no value, his path ahead doesn't look easy. I think we just have to live with that and let it take it's course.

• Vintage 1

22 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Rathbone is still on his entry level contract so he does not require waivers. That is probably why there is a census of him starting in AHL kinda how Stecher did when he sure looked liked he belonged on the team. 

If you look up the Canucks roster on Capfriendly you can see the icon if a player is waived exempt 

Probably better to have OJ up here then and have Rathbone go and dominate the AHL.  Injuries are inevitable and so it’s not like Rathbone would be getting deprived of NHL ice time anyways.  On the flip side, Rathbone can log big minutes in the AHL and expedite his development.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1