The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Evander Kane accused of betting on Sharks games

Rate this topic

Just now, Podz19 said:

The way she posts it up too strikes me as immature/attention grabbing. Of course, this IN NO WAY absolves Kane of anything that she's accusing. What she's doing is pretty unprofessional and it comes across loudly in her posts.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I thought about this as a possibility a few years ago in sports. Like really with how much money is being gambled out there, what's really stopping a team from throwing a game to make some extra money? Like if the pay out is that big and a team says hey we can handle a loss for a game, what's really stopping them from doing it? Like their getting paid good money already and losing a game isn't going to make them lose money they get paid no matter what, but if they can lose a game that has a good pay out what's really stopping them? 

How much impact can Kane even have? Look at his stats, he's certainly not been tanking it, doesn't pass the sniff test for me. That being said, if someone is going to tank it, a goalie I can see as he has the ability to determine the outcome of a game on his own. Also, the refs they have the ability to change the game as they see fit, if anyone is going to threaten and bribe a player or participant to throw games, it would be to use the refs or a goalie.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

It's nothing new. Basketball is NOTORIOUS for gambling. They specifically have numerous ref scandals involving them betting in games that they can control. We just haven't discovered it yet in hockey.

Ya the reffing in the NHL is so atrocious I have wondered for a while if there are some that have been threatened / paid off. It would make alot of sense. As you said its happened in basketball, FIFA soccer etc. Where there is money to be made and lost you can expect it. And I am sure Bettman who thinks his refs are remarkable wouldn't even consider the thought.

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, Podz19 said:

How much impact can Kane even have? Look at his stats, he's certainly not been tanking it, doesn't pass the sniff test for me. That being said, if someone is going to tank it, a goalie I can see as he has the ability to determine the outcome of a game on his own. Also, the refs they have the ability to change the game as they see fit, if anyone is going to threaten and bribe a player or participant to throw games, it would be to use the refs or a goalie.

If Kane is betting on his own games

he could get hot for a bit, bet on the other team then get cold, whiff on a couple of passes or not backcheck

2 goal difference, easy

"Oh Kane had a rough game"

next game back to normal

hmmm, suddenly I am thinking about JT.... oh nevermind, kidding, I was kidding

8 minutes ago, lmm said:

If Kane is betting on his own games

he could get hot for a bit, bet on the other team then get cold, whiff on a couple of passes or not backcheck

2 goal difference, easy

"Oh Kane had a rough game"

next game back to normal

hmmm, suddenly I am thinking about JT.... oh nevermind, kidding, I was kidding

Sure, but his wife clearly has an axe to grind and probably legitimate because her emails sound like he's a real douche....but it can be just that, an accusation to screw up his life more than he already has on his own, and for payback for his lack of responsibility for his kids. Ie "you're not paying for your kids but paying for your partying, well I am going to make your life miserable by taking away your paychecks." 

And again, if you look at his stats, they are pretty darn good. If you're going to tank it, you probably aren't scoring almost a ppg, getting into alot of fights, and hitting as much as him, you coast all around. Again, doesn't pass the sniff test to me when you look at his numbers, and the fact his wife, clearly has an axe to grind (and likley for legitimate reasons).

Regardless of the truth, which will be hard to prove anyways, he sounds like an immature douche and who's got alot of problems. As a side note, I remember seeing him at a game in vancouver when he was with the Jets, and this was when so many wanted him on the Canucks.

It was the third period, 1:20 to go, timeout by Winnipeg, they were down 1 goal. He skates the bench the coach is drawing up a play, and we were behind the Jets so I could see him really well. He looks up in the crowd, clearly makes eye contact with one of his buddies, grins, and knods, like what's up boys, we're going to the roxy. That moment told me everything I needed to know about him. Your team is in a playoff race, down 1 and you're looking in the crowd for where the party's at. Dude is low character and so much keeps coming out to show it. That being said, this is an allegation and we should wait to see what the proof is first before vilifying someone.

Edited by Podz19
  • Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Podz19 said:

And again, if you look at his stats, they are pretty darn good. If you're going to tank it, you probably aren't scoring almost a ppg, getting into alot of fights, and hitting as much as him, you coast all around.

I think the wife said he was betting on games, not the season standings.

Could be betting on goal differential or whatever else you can play, other than win/loss.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

The way she posts it up too strikes me as immature/attention grabbing. Of course, this IN NO WAY absolves Kane of anything that she's accusing. What she's doing is pretty unprofessional and it comes across loudly in her posts.

Too bad he didn't use some of his money to get her English lessons. Reading her messages hurt my brain. Doesn't strike me as the sharpest tool in the shed. That said Kane sounds like a real piece of $&!# even before the betting allegations are considered. 

• Cheers 1