The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pettersson uncertain about future with Canucks ( article)

Rate this topic

cuporbust

10 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Really hoping Pettersson's not like as you say. I want the guy to be a Canuck for life. If anyone can break the Sedins offensive records, it would be him. Would hate to see him in another jersey. Get the feeling that he's putting pressure on ownership and management to stop &^@#ing around. 

I hope so, and obviously I'm just speculating but I don't know. Pettersson in his rookie year developed a bit of a reputation for being somewhat snide and saying whatever was on his mind. Its his personality. He's tempered that for sure but I definitely get the sense he was just being blunt about his intentions. If the Canucks aren't good when he's able to negotiate with others he's not coming back. I also think European players let their guard down a bit when speaking to media in their home countries in their native tongues.

On 8/11/2021 at 9:40 AM, iwtl said:

We as fans can scream as loud as we want and Canucks brass won’t change who they sign or any staff to meet that demand. Pety on the other hand …. They will listen

They will? He asked for Tofu back and they didn't even bother to make him an offer...

• Haha 1

This is unacceptable.

This isn't merely a hockey contract - it's a marriage contract, EP.  

You're expected to commit forever.  Not simply 3 or 5 or 8 years.

This is about family.  There's no leaving the family.

Who wouldn't want to marry into this family and the city of Vancouver, forever?  

Nothing dysfunctional about it at all....

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, oldnews said:

This is unacceptable.

B8C624C6-6E53-4881-8354-00EB2216EF46.gif

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

The reporter who did this interview was on local radio this morning, and he totally disagrees with your assertion.  He said Petey wants to play in Vancouver, and didn’t understand why anyone would think otherwise.  Go to the 650 website and listen.  

Wich assertion?

Petey looked uncomfortable and you see it in his eyes. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

True, but winning is more on those same players too, if they are "responsible" for taking a big % of the cap, then they should not complain after the fact they take the money

You don't hear McDavid or Draisaitl openly whining about being stuck in Edmonton of all places or losing like Eichel or lesser players who have played less in the league

They are loyal to the team that signed:lol: them and hoping to build a winner there at the same time

I think they are close to scoring 40% of Oiler goals, maybe they should get 40% of cap 

Every player wants to win, beer or big leagues, Losing sucks, Whiners should try being more of a team player and talk about building that with teammates, rather than talk of bolting in any talk !

might be hard finding a goalie to play for free

wink

11 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Wich assertion?

Petey looked uncomfortable and you see it in his eyes. 

Did you listen to the reporter, who conducted the interview, on the radio this morning?  650 radio.  Petey loved Vancouver, and wants to win here.  Likely Petey is a guy who marries a local girl, has babies, and makes his full time home here.  I saw it in his eyes.  

Edited by Alflives
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Did you listen to the reporter, who conducted the interview, on the radio this morning?  650 radio.  Petey loved Vancouver, and wants to win here.  Likely Petey is a guy who marries a local girl, has babies, and makes his full time home here.  I saw it in his eyes.  

"You can see it in Peteys eyes" needs to be up there with Nate being traded any minute now.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

LMAO

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

This is unacceptable.

He hasn't made his own family here yet. I don't think any of the Van ladies interest him. If his kids attend school in the Lower Mainland I doubt he would leave. 

33 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

They will? He asked for Tofu back and they didn't even bother to make him an offer...

well doesn't this seem like the crux of this situation

people talk about how the stars are supposed to "will the team to win"

how did that work out for Rick Nash ans Shane Doan?

I think Toffoli was a great tease

it was like taking you wife out shopping, showing her diamonds and pearls, then giving her a vaccume cleaner for your aniversary

people don't forget things like that 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

He hasn't made his own family here yet. I don't think any of the Van ladies interest him. If his kids attend school in the Lower Mainland I doubt he would leave. 

Why wouldn't he leave if his kids went to school here?

I think if there's one thing we should take from all this, it's that we shouldn't be married to the players that play for our team. I'm as guilty as anyone of this, but at the end if the day franchise loyalty doesn't mean much to young players. They'll play wherever they can get the most money and the best chance to win (in that order). 

There are two things we need to realize. A] As a franchise, we're not special.

B] The players that play for us aren't special.

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

29 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Alf, do you happen to have sisters? I don't think any Van girls have piqued Petey's interest so far. 

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Why wouldn't he leave if his kids went to school here?

Many hockey players prefer stability for their children until they get older. The Sedins, Edler they all considered this when their contracts were up. Edler's kids are older now so he can relocate to L.A. 

1 minute ago, Maddogy said:

Many hockey players prefer stability for their children until they get older. The Sedins, Edler they all considered this when their contracts were up. Edler's kids are older now so he can relocate to L.A. 

Some live in different cities than where they play. For example, Travis Green lives in Anaheim in the offseason.

21 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

not really what I was talking about - but the idea that none of the 'Van ladies' interest him is pretty reductive - there are only about a million of them