The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coyotes lose vote for new arena - future unclear

Rate this topic

mll

1 minute ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Winnipeg paid according to our favourite source, wikipedia:

Compared to the expansion fees of $650 million paid by the Krakheads and $500 million by the Golden Showers.

If the Coyotes don’t have an arena to play in, won’t they have to move?  They probably are behind on paying the city for the arena lease from previous years, and the city has had enough.  Pay up, or get out.  

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-commissioner-gary-bettman-says-coyotes-future-is-in-arizona/c-325998880

"First of all, I don't think the Coyote franchise is going anywhere," he said. "I think the city of Glendale is negotiating.

"There's no secret that Alex Meruelo, who's the owner of the Coyotes, is looking at his options to build a new arena somewhere else in greater Phoenix and I think the city of Glendale basically said to the Coyotes, you have to sign a 20-year lease or we're not going to renew."

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Wonder if both the Lions and Whitecaps would do better if they offered:

4 tickets

4 hot dogs

4 bottled water or soda

4 foam claws or 4 foam hands

4 Daypass for Transit 

for $140 if they'd sell out BC Place? 

Replace the soda with beer and probably.

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

Because I was thinking Dad/Mom/2 kids.

If they want to get new fans they need kids to get into the game. (Especially the CFL)

A family pack and fun/party pack would work for me.

But yeah those types of things could be enticing but winning attracts too. If I recall correctly neither team has been that good last few seasons.

53 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Maybe they will move somewhere temporarily.

While a new arena is built?

Where do the Suns play?  Could it fit both...

Suns play downtown at the same Arena the Coyotes first played in, but it had been renovated recently

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

That franchise has been circling the drain for years. When I lived there in 2001 I could go to a game for $10 bucks and the arena would still be half empty. Stop trying to prop up a failed experiment and move the team to a Hockey city already. 

Agreed.

Bettman had no qualms or hesitations in getting out of Atlanta so why hold onto Arizona?