The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Offer Sheet] Hurricanes offer sheet Jesperi Kotkaniemi

49 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

So I was listening to this Habs YouTube channel and if they represent the general fanbase it seems they prefer the Habs don't match and flip the acquired picks to for a center.

Plus it seems like they don't want Kotkaniemi back. And they do have a point I can imagine Habs fans in attendance being quite hostile to him since he accepted the offer sheet 

Carolina fans were fine with Aho after he accepted Montreal’s offer.  At the end of the day the players want to get paid. Fans need to chill out. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Is this whole situation not a clear sign to these idiots that offer sheets are generally a bad idea? 

There's a pretty clear precedent being set that if a GM tries to offer sheet someone, a retaliatory offer sheet will eventually be sent the other way. Sure, "destroying a rival's cap" may help you against that one team, but once the retaliatory offer sheet is sent and messes up your own cap, you're at a disadvantage against 31 other teams in the league. 

Whatever. Dumb people gonna dumb.

Plus they claim that, if we matched, it would “destroy the cap situation/roster” of the Canucks, but if we don’t, that same cap/roster destroying offer sheet would, for Vegas, suddenly be “one of the best players in the NHL at a reasonable price.”

You can’t have it both ways. :lol:

• Haha 4

25 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

:lol:

One of the funnier things I’ve read, when it comes to the “offer sheet Pettersson” Twitter reactions to the KK news.

Vegas is already capped out, with two roster spots to fill, and Nolan Patrick also needing a deal (and vulnerable to an offer sheet himself). They would most likely have to dump two very good roster players to even fit Petey under their cap. And they’d need to give up 4 first round picks, to craft an offer sheet at an AAV that Vancouver wouldn’t instantly match.

Yet it’s the Vancouver Canucks whose “cap situation/roster” would be destroyed? :picard:

EDIT: Not to mention Vegas doesn’t currently hold their third rounder, so they can’t even do an offer sheet between $4-10M, because they can’t meet compensation requirements (so they’d have to go 10M+ and four first round picks).

I’ve read all the replies in that thread. Vegas fans are a special kind of stupid. Only 1 person understood that what vegas can and can’t do.   Everyone else just said “he’s worth it, we should sign him”. 

535C3F49-D9A2-4EAB-8ED6-682E61C77829.png

• Cheers 4

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

:lol:

One of the funnier things I’ve read, when it comes to the “offer sheet Pettersson” Twitter reactions to the KK news.

Vegas is already capped out, with two roster spots to fill, and Nolan Patrick also needing a deal (and vulnerable to an offer sheet himself). They would most likely have to dump two very good roster players to even fit Petey under their cap. And they’d need to give up 4 first round picks, to craft an offer sheet at an AAV that Vancouver wouldn’t instantly match.

Yet it’s the Vancouver Canucks whose “cap situation/roster” would be destroyed? :picard:

EDIT: Not to mention Vegas doesn’t currently hold their third rounder, so they can’t even do an offer sheet between $4-10M, because they can’t meet compensation requirements (so they’d have to go 10M+ and four first round picks).

Why is it that seemingly every fanbase wanting to offersheet Pettersson doesn't have the assets or cap space to actually make it work? Do they not understand that or just expect to scramble to make room after making the offer?

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Is this whole situation not a clear sign to these idiots that offer sheets are generally a bad idea? 

There's a pretty clear precedent being set that if a GM tries to offer sheet someone, a retaliatory offer sheet will eventually be sent the other way. Sure, "destroying a rival's cap" may help you against that one team, but once the retaliatory offer sheet is sent and messes up your own cap, you're at a disadvantage against 31 other teams in the league. 

Whatever. Dumb people gonna dumb.

In defense of Vegas, do they even have any young stars they'd be worried about other teams offersheeting? They traded all of their star prospects away. And who the hell would offersheet Nolan Patrick?

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, mll said:

Friedman on his podcast says that he thinks there is already an agreement with Carolina for an extension where his next deal would be less than this 1 year deal - ie he wouldn't sign his qualifying offer but a reasonable extension.  Can only sign in January as the offer sheet is a 1 year deal.

He thinks Montreal was offering a bridge of around 2.5M x 2 maybe even less.  Friedman thinks there's a chance that Montreal might not match - they have Suzuki coming up in  a year.  He says they will probably take those picks around the league and see what they could bring back.  Dvorak could be a target as suggested by Engels.  

Kotkaniemi signed well above his value and could get 6M through his RFA years if they match - he just has to sign his qualifying offer every season. They can't trade him for a year.  

In my mind this would make Montreal the winners of this transaction. If they end up getting Dvorak with the compensation they get from Carolina they have upgraded at that position. I don't think Kotkaniemi will surpass the level of Dvorak. 

Carolina 1st and Ryan Poehling for Christian Dvorak. Wonder if that would seal the deal or if Montreal would have to add. 

Dvorak signed to the deal Kotkaniemi probably gets next summer and Dvorak is a great fit for the Habs. 

It's hilarious seeing all the dumb, salty scabs fans trying to make excuses for this and saying Carolina are the salty ones for doing this. Plus, these same losers who were saying Jasper Cockamamie is better than Pettersson are now turning on their former 3rd overall pick. They are as dumb as laffs fans.

• Cheers 1

I think the Habs will match. A first and 3rd is not much in terms of the draft order which Carolina will be in. At the worst, Carolina will be in the middle of the pack.

The Habs would be dreaming if they think they can get a top 10 pick.

JK is a 21 year old and a  former 3rd overall pick for a reason. You can’t let that go for a mid level first and 3rd.

Edited by grandmaster

7 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

I think the Habs will match. A first and 3rd is not much in terms of the draft order which Carolina will be in. At the worst, Carolina will be in the middle of the pack.

The Habs would be dreaming if they think they can get a top 10 pick.

JK is a 21 year old and a  former 3rd overall pick for a reason. He hasYou can’t let that go for a mid level first and 3rd.

If they match, they pretty much have to flip him. Word on the grape vine is Kotkaniemi does not wanna be in Montreal anymore. So the question isn't about if they'll match, but could they get more for him in a trade. His qualifying offer is gonna be 6mil next summer if I am not mistaken. He hasn't proven to be worth 6mil now. Will a team trade more than a 1st and a 3rd rounder for a guy that is overpaid now and will have a 6mil qualifying offer next summer? Montreal might just have to look stupid and let the offer go through. I doubt they get more than a 1st rounder and a 3rd in a trade. And he wants out anyway so you're just keeping a disgruntled guy around for no real solid reason.

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, qwijibo said:

Carolina fans were fine with Aho after he accepted Montreal’s offer.  At the end of the day the players want to get paid. Fans need to chill out. 

Probably but I think the difference is Aho cap hit and term is probably around what he was worth (and even good value). 

For the Habs they know this is a massive overpayment designed to mess up the Habs cap structure. And really does no favors for the Habs at all. 

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

If they match, they pretty much have to flip him. Word on the grape vine is Kotkaniemi does not wanna be in Montreal anymore. So the question isn't about if they'll match, but could they get more for him in a trade. His qualifying offer is gonna be 6mil next summer if I am not mistaken. He hasn't proven to be worth 6mil now. Will a team trade more than a 1st and a 3rd rounder for a guy that is overpaid now and will have a 6mil qualifying offer next summer? Montreal might just have to look stupid and let the offer go through. I doubt they get more than a 1st rounder and a 3rd in a trade. And he wants out anyway so you're just keeping a disgruntled guy around for no real solid reason.

if they match they can't trade him for at least a year. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Probably but I think the difference is Aho cap hit and term is probably around what he was worth (and even good value). 

For the Habs they know this is a massive overpayment designed to mess up the Habs cap structure. And really does no favors for the Habs at all. 

Should the Hurricanes feel grateful then for the offersheet?

9 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Should the Hurricanes feel grateful then for the offersheet?

Nope, not one bit and the video I shared it's actually quite fun seeing one of them basically bashed the Canes and all their fans.

That said in both cases Canes had a "win or favorable" situation and Habs are in a "no win" situation (at least short term). So that's why Canes fans aren't probably too upset with Aho.