The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[DEBATE] If you could only pick one, which one would it be and why?

Rate this topic

If you could only pick one, which one would it be and why?  

64 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

McDavid's speed. Easy choice for me. I think overall speed is the biggest commodity out of them all.

There are lots of players with good shots. Lots with good hands. But not many with McDavid's speed and he shows us time and time again that speed, kills.

Edited by Maginator
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

you can't teach speed, but speed kills without the skill to add to it.

a good shot is deadly, but great hands can not only shoot but tip pucks out of mid air. Mackinnon hand's down.

• Upvote 1

Ovie's shot, only because it's one of those things that doesn't die off too much with age. I suspect McDavid will have trouble keeping up when he's 38 (or at least become more human), but I still think Ovie will have a rocket when he's 38. Hands are in the same category as speed.

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 2

I'll go with Connor's speed. It is pretty impressive how McD can blow by guys and every play is a scoring chance. Unlike OV's shot, McDavid can do it all on his own. I think MacKinnon is very similar but McDavid is the better choice.

Going with speed because I know how much Bure terrorized opposing players as a Canuck so I am equating Bure's speed to that of McDavid because I wanted to bring a Canuck into this I guess...

• Cheers 1

It's between hands and shot for me.  There's been guys in the past and even now who can flat out skate but can't finish consistently (e.g. Andreas Athanasiou).  With shots you get goals and with hands you can dangle, make plays and also finish plays off yourself.

If we're talking hands like Pat Kane or Nikita Kucherov vs. Stamkos or Ovie's shots I'd say hands.  It also involves good hockey IQ to make use of good hands (e.g. chip up the boards vs. flip to a teammate vs. stretch pass) but you need the hands to execute any of those, and even if you don't score or aren't ahead of everyone, you can have a Gretzky-esque impact in making those around you better.

Edited by Phil_314
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

It's between hands and shot for me.  There's been guys in the past and even now who can flat out skate but can't finish consistently (e.g. Andreas Athanasiou).  With shots you get goals and with hands you can dangle, make plays and also finish plays off yourself.

If we're talking hands like Pat Kane or Nikita Kucherov vs. Stamkos or Ovie's shots I'd say hands.  It also involves good hockey IQ to make use of good hands (e.g. chip up the boards vs. flip to a teammate vs. stretch pass) but you need the hands to execute any of those, and even if you don't score or aren't ahead of everyone, you can have a Gretzky-esque impact in making those around you better.

I also remember that Ryan Spooner was an insanely good straight line skater, but couldn't actually do anything with that speed.

13 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If you could only pick one, which one would it be and why?

Have fun...  :)

this one is easy. Ovi's shot is money in the bank, and he's won the cup with it. 

McBaby can be handled in the playoffs, we've seen that more than once now.

MacKinnon does have great hands, but I think Ovi's shot is one of the best ever. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Ovie's shot, only because it's one of those things that doesn't die off too much with age. I suspect McDavid will have trouble keeping up when he's 38 (or at least become more human), but I still think Ovie will have a rocket when he's 38. Hands are in the same category as speed.

Agreed. A player can also have a solid career if they've got a spectacular shot but little else. 

Speed burns, but we've had speedy players who haven't done much despite their wheels.