The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Really don’t see Rathbone in the starting lineup.  Playing him 12-13 minutes ES a night doesn’t do anyone any favours.  That spot will go to who ever can play defence and kill penalties.  He’ll need to push OEL off the PP to have any consideration for that spot but the team fundamentally needs 5 D that can kill penalties.  The team has transitioned from development to competing and funnily D take penalties so I just don’t see both Hughes and Rathbone on the left side.  Rathbone needs to be developing his complete game in the AHL vs being a spectator in the NHL

• Wat 2

4 hours ago, FaninMex said:

If Sutter is going to miss some time, 4th C is available for the taking. Maybe makes the team to start. 

I did not see much of the game as I did not want to wake up at 3 am for a preseason game. However, there were quite a few saying that Wouters - Lockwood - Gadj had a good game and some chemistry. Would be interesting to see.

If he has post Covid syndrome, it is possible that his career is done. There is still a lot we don't know about long term effects.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, bbllpp said:

Really don’t see Rathbone in the starting lineup.  Playing him 12-13 minutes ES a night doesn’t do anyone any favours.  That spot will go to who ever can play defence and kill penalties.  He’ll need to push OEL off the PP to have any consideration for that spot but the team fundamentally needs 5 D that can kill penalties.  The team has transitioned from development to competing and funnily D take penalties so I just don’t see both Hughes and Rathbone on the left side.  Rathbone needs to be developing his complete game in the AHL vs being a spectator in the NHL

I agree, I think he will start in Abbotsford and get first pairing minutes for a couple of months. I do think he will be full time with the Canucks before Xmas.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, 250Integra said:

Gadjovich has impressed so far this camp. The kid worked hard on his skating (which was his biggest flaw) and it has shown throughout camp. He's always had the hands and could contribute at every level (great junior career). Now with a bit more speed, I can definitely see him beating out a couple of forwards for a 3rd / 4th line position, especially with a few omissions to start the season. He'll be fighting to stay on the team once Pettersson and Sutter join the team though, and if we sign Chiasson.

Hoglander-Miller-Garland

Pearson-Horvat-Boeser

Podkolzin-Dickinson-Chiasson

Gadjovich-Highmore-MacEwan

then...

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Garland

Hoglander-Dickinson-Podkolzin

Motte-Sutter-Chiasson

Gadjovich / MacEwan / Highmore (pick 2)

Chance are, we'll have some injuries anyways so he'll likely stay up :lol:

Have been REALLY impressed with him so far. He drives to the net in a way that few others do. So far, he deserves to make the opening night roster.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Just looking at our right side depth and thinking about who we might be able to pickup if Hamonic decides to retire or skip a year.

Any thoughts of who we might be able to pad a bit with a 750k - 1 million contract? I think we need at least one more guy on the right side for depth.

Erik Gustafsson (on PTO with the Islanders) maybe???

Anyone know of any teams with extra depth on the right?

11 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Have been REALLY impressed with him so far. He drives to the net in a way that few others do. So far, he deserves to make the opening night roster.

Yeah his wheels really have improved and he's always had the hands. I've been surprised to see some nice playmaking from him down low considering he's known as more of a front of the net goal scorer type.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Just looking at our right side depth and thinking about who we might be able to pickup if Hamonic decides to retire or skip a year.

Any thoughts of who we might be able to pad a bit with a 750k - 1 million contract? I think we need at least one more guy on the right side for depth.

How about Demers on a one year contract?

Just now, DrJockitch said:

He refused trade to Vancouver before and is kind of what we have, not necessarily what we need. 
Ben Hutton is available I believe (That was meant as joke). 

He’s a right handed stay at home defenseman for 3rd pair. But if he doesn’t want to play here - that’s his problem lol

15 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Good trade idea from @ZH96 for Lyubushkin our of ARI in Proposals section.

Seattle is flush with Dmen. Someone like Lauzon could be an option, plays LD/RD.

Ottawa have Brown and Mete as 7th and 8th Dmen, could be convinced to trade for a pick

While I am warming up to Rathbone substantially this preseason, I am still a huge Olli Joulevi fan and hope he stays with us. Perhaps losing Hamonic is no big deal and will present the team with 3 more million to get those wondertwin powers activated. No not the Sedins, Petey and Huggybear. 

OEL

Huggy

Myers

Poolman

Juolevi

Rathbone 

Schenn

Hunt

Woo

Sautner Persson

seems like decent enough depth, even if Juolevi and Rathbone switch places on my list. 

Let's just dump Hamonic as he clearly is not a broader sense team player, vis a vis covid shot refusal, and I would not shed a blink let alone a tear if we removed him from the team ASAP. Maybe get a 3rd or a 4th round pick back and c'est la vie. 

I think we would have NINE NHL level Dmen AND a whopping additional few million to help get the stalemate broken with two outstanding RFAs.

Edited by Primal Optimist

2 hours ago, 250Integra said:

Gadjovich has impressed so far this camp. The kid worked hard on his skating (which was his biggest flaw) and it has shown throughout camp. He's always had the hands and could contribute at every level (great junior career). Now with a bit more speed, I can definitely see him beating out a couple of forwards for a 3rd / 4th line position, especially with a few omissions to start the season. He'll be fighting to stay on the team once Pettersson and Sutter join the team though, and if we sign Chiasson.

Hoglander-Miller-Garland

Pearson-Horvat-Boeser

Podkolzin-Dickinson-Chiasson

Gadjovich-Highmore-MacEwan

then...

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Garland

Hoglander-Dickinson-Podkolzin

Motte-Sutter-Chiasson

Gadjovich / MacEwan / Highmore (pick 2)

Chance are, we'll have some injuries anyways so he'll likely stay up :lol:

I still want to see what he can do on a line with Pettersson.

10 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Good trade idea from @ZH96 for Lyubushkin our of ARI in Proposals section.

Seattle is flush with Dmen. Someone like Lauzon could be an option, plays LD/RD.

Ottawa have Brown and Mete as 7th and 8th Dmen, could be convinced to trade for a pick

Good options....need someone who is defensively responsible like Hamonic.

Hopefully this won't be necessary, but it never hurts to be ready.

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

I have also been incredibly impressed. I think he is a top 9 player for us in due time possibly before seasons end. I would personally love to see a 3rd line of 

Hog Pete Boeser

Pearson Bo Garland

Gadjovich Miller Podkolzin

Motte Dicky Lockwood

Personally however I think Lockwood and Dowling are at this time the best Sutter Motte replacements. 

Season opening fwd line up:

Miller Pete Boeser

Pearson Bo Garland

Hoglander Dicky Podkolzin

Highmore Dowling Lockwood

13th Gadjo

IR Sutter Motte 

I think Zac Mac hits the wire. at 25 he's a finished product I don't think his size is enough to keep him with the big club. He doesn't bring enough intensity for the bottom 6 or enough skill for the top 6 Gadjo is tougher and better on offense and Lockwood is better defensively and brings way more energy. 

Edited by hammertime
  • Vintage 1

If we can get Pettersson and Hughes signed our team looks pretty good. Gadj, Highmore, and Lockwood have all earned spots in my opinion. Sutter and Hamonic might not play this season. Motte needs time to recover but he will be a big part of that 4th line. With Hamonic gone we need to trade for a RD. Josh Manson is the best option. He can add toughness when teams like Calgary set Ritchie, Lucic, and Gudbranson to take liberties on our players. 

Hoglander Pettersson Boeser 

Miller Horvat Garland 

Pearson Dickenson Podkolzin 

Gadjovich Highmore Lockwood 

Motte 

Hughes Manson 

OEL Poolman

Juolevi Myers 

Rathbone Schenn 

3 hours ago, bbllpp said:

3 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

I agree, I think he will start in Abbotsford and get first pairing minutes for a couple of months. I do think he will be full time with the Canucks before Xmas.

be prepared to be the only 2 surprised people. rathbone is a shoo-in, and juolevi is in a battle for his life with hunt for the 8th spot. 

• Thanks 1