The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

I'd be surprised if we did 

We've made additions up front since the expansion draft 

I might not be too surprised. We have tried grooming him to be a center very recently and could use a bit of center depth.

Currently

Hoglander - Petey - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Chaisson/MacEwen?

Podkolzin - Miller - Garland

Di Guiseppe - Dickinson - Lockwood?

Highmore/Gadjovich?

MacEwen hasn't impressed me enough for a long term look in the top 6. Chaisson doesn't have longer term value. Di Giuseppe is unlikely a longer term fixture. Motte and Sutter are out to start the season. So I can see some room to fit him back in as he would have some familiarity with our systems and should be able to slide in more quickly.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I might not be too surprised. We have tried grooming him to be a center very recently and could use a bit of center depth.

Currently

Hoglander - Petey - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Chaisson/MacEwen?

Podkolzin - Miller - Garland

Di Guiseppe - Dickinson - Lockwood?

Highmore/Gadjovich?

MacEwen hasn't impressed me enough for a long term look in the top 6. Chaisson doesn't have longer term value. Di Giuseppe is unlikely a longer term fixture. Motte and Sutter are out to start the season. So I can see some room to fit him back in as he would have some familiarity with our systems and should be able to slide in more quickly.

Guess we'll see

It'd be entertaining if we did, I'll say that much 

52 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Kole Lind can play 4C.  I think Seattle puts him on waivers.  He would be a better option than Petan or Highmore at 4C.

I like the thought but would he really do better in a defensive role? 

Young guys have trouble with faceoffs and defensive coverage. 

It would be great if he was a good fit. 

A line of Gadj Lind Lockwood sounds exciting but I can picture a lot of goals scored against. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I like the thought but would he really do better in a defensive role? 

Young guys have trouble with faceoffs and defensive coverage. 

It would be great if he was a good fit. 

A line of Gadj Lind Lockwood sounds exciting but I can picture a lot of goals scored against. 

He played centre in Utica and was taking draws.  He's not Bo Horvat or even Jay Beagle, but I am sure he would be an upgrade on little Petan and Highmore isn't even a centre and is much more effective on the wing.  Maybe there is a better option on the waiver wire or maybe Benning needs to trade a winger for a 4C.  Honestly, I would explore a Motte trade for a 4C at this point.  He is always injured and his contract is up at the end of the year.  We have a surplus of wingers who can play on the 4th line now.  We really need a quality 4C who can kill penalties.

• Vintage 1

Just noticed Motte is listed as C on nhlnumbers (puckpedia).
did he ever play C for us ? maybe he could be the answer for the 4th line. 

edit : For Horvat's case, its time to surround him with skilled offensive guys to see what he can do without the shutdown burden.
He HAS to play with Garland at least. 
Hoglander Horvat Garland should be a hell of a line, just after Miller Petey Boeser
Pearson should be on 3rd line to reflect the depth this year. 
Pearson Dickinson Podkolzin (Dickinson and Podz are naturaly def minded, maybe too much concerning Podz)
Chiasson Motte Lockwood  if Motte had indeed some C experience should be a good try. if not, i'll go with Chiasson Sutter Motte.

If injury carry's onto the season, i try Petan on 4th, and ice Chiasson Petan Lockwood. 

Edited by deus.ex.makina

33 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He played centre in Utica and was taking draws.  He's not Bo Horvat or even Jay Beagle, but I am sure he would be an upgrade on little Petan and Highmore isn't even a centre and is much more effective on the wing.  Maybe there is a better option on the waiver wire or maybe Benning needs to trade a winger for a 4C.  Honestly, I would explore a Motte trade for a 4C at this point.  He is always injured and his contract is up at the end of the year.  We have a surplus of wingers who can play on the 4th line now.  We really need a quality 4C who can kill penalties.

As long as Miller stays at centre, we already have that quality 4C in Dickenson.

Correct me if im wrong, but i was under the impression that if we picked Lind back up we were allowed to send him back down without clearing waivers? If so, why wouldnt we do that in order to keep grooming him. Didnt seem like too long ago that everyone had him as one of our top prospects. Why not re-gain our loss from the expansion draft?

5 minutes ago, Primo604 said:

Correct me if im wrong, but i was under the impression that if we picked Lind back up we were allowed to send him back down without clearing waivers? If so, why wouldnt we do that in order to keep grooming him. Didnt seem like too long ago that everyone had him as one of our top prospects. Why not re-gain our loss from the expansion draft?

Not an option.  Vancouver has no rights over him anymore.  They can put in a claim but would also need waivers to send him to the AHL and the Kraken could just claim him back.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Primo604 said:

No he would have to go back on waivers.

4 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I am not a Green hater by any stretch but the preseason does have me wondering just what a new coach not attached to specific pairings of players (Horvat and Pearson, EP and Boeser, etc) might have tried with such a revamped roster.

I’ve thought the exact same thing. I get why he’s doing this, but I would really like to see him give Horvat a proper look with players not named Pearson. I really like Pearson, but just not on the second. He’s more of a third line winger IMO. 

1 hour ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

As long as Miller stays at centre, we already have that quality 4C in Dickenson.

They're not paying Dickenson all that money to be 4C.  Miller will return to Petey's wing, and Dickenson will be 3C.  4C will work itself out, Petan has looked okay, there are others who could play the role as a stopgap depending on how long Sutter will be out.  If it's really long Covid, he could miss the whole season, or perhaps call it a career.

On 9/29/2021 at 10:43 AM, Hairy Kneel said:

He can afford to set up separate residences and screen himself from his daughter. Even a close hotel. He could create another level of barrier from possibly infecting his daughter.

I'm sure the team would provide test kits for him. 

Hairy, asking by person to willing live away from their family was t part of his deal. Yes, us working stiffs have to go out to camps and work, but a lot of the fly in and out workers aren’t going back to Alberta.  It’s just too much Covid. 

why would it even be sensible for him to set up another home.  

how about we let the player, their medical team and their family figure out if things snd be patient.  

if Hamonic isn’t there at 5he start if the season, guys, JB has Myers, Poolman and Schenn for the Right side without Hamonic.  

extra cap space… deadly.  It’s not like Hughes or OEL didn’t make it.  

this a 4-5 d man.  More time for Woo to shine and knock some guys on their butts.  

early days and a long season.  

phats. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, canuckleheads fan said:

They're not paying Dickenson all that money to be 4C.  Miller will return to Petey's wing, and Dickenson will be 3C.  4C will work itself out, Petan has looked okay, there are others who could play the role as a stopgap depending on how long Sutter will be out.  If it's really long Covid, he could miss the whole season, or perhaps call it a career.

Tyler Johnson was TB 4th line C...and Stastny played 3/4 line C on Vegas...both guys making Horvat/BB type money.    It happens.   Dickinson is more of a winger/C anyways.   Personally was hoping he'd play with Sutter and Motte to create a legit shut down line.   Nice to have options, his versatility is part of the reason he's getting term and a couple million plus. 

Edited by IBatch