The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

12 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Assuming Hughes stays home and Hamonic is traded?

OEL - Poolman

NEW GUY - Myers

Rathbone - Schenn

Hunt

Juolevi

In this scenario, the Canucks could end up running with something like this to start the season:

OEL-Poolman

Juolevi/Hunt-Myers

Rathbone-Schenn

Hunt/Juolevi, Bowey

without adding anyone.  Rathbone would be the easy demotion once Hughes is signed, assuming management does not want to risk one of Juolevi or Hunt on Waivers.  It's not a great top 6 D but might be OK to start the season.

If Hamonic opts out or is otherwise unavailable this season, then I think the greater need is for a RHD.  I personally don't mind Schenn in a #6/#7 role, but the Canucks' D depth would obviously be helped significantly if they could have another serviceable #6/#7 RHD who could either split duty with Schenn or play the majority of minutes with Schenn getting spot duty.

2 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Tanman's play with fall off a cliff soon he is getting older and has some tough miles. 

he's had tough miles on him for like 6 years. even if that does end up happening, it would have been worth it. the guy has been a bargain his entire career, I'd be perfectly happy mildly overpaying him I to retirement for what he did for this team. 

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Sounds similar to the 2008-2009 version of Kesler in that regard (but Podz with better playmaking ability).

It's also not unlike Horvat entering the league with a reliable defensive game and adding offense as he gets more comfortable. Podkolzin has a lot of untapped play making abilities that have yet to be utilized. He made so many clean setups in the WJ tourny that were missed by teammates. I kind of see him as a Draisaitl lite in terms of offense. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, bbllpp said:

If his daughter just went terminal I forgive him and so should anyone with a conscience 

2 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Forgive him? They should be begging him for forgiveness lol 

Forgive him for what, not being able to make a decision? In that case of course but shouldn't he have just taken an official leave then, or shouldn't that qualify as special circumstances or something? I guess we should get an answer soon either way. Like I said before something just doesn't seem to be adding up. In that case wouldn't it have been a straightforward case of just stating that in the first place? We all know about his daughter is sick so it's not like this is some big secret or anything.

Whatever, I just hope this gets resolved so we can make a move to shore up the right side. That's a pretty important piece regarding what this team has dealt with on the right side for the last several years.

Just now, Gawdzukes said:

Forgive him for what, not being able to make a decision? In that case of course but shouldn't he have just taken an official leave then, or shouldn't that qualify as special circumstances or something? I guess we should get an answer soon either way. Like I said before something just doesn't seem to be adding up. In that case wouldn't it have been a straightforward case of just stating that in the first place? We all know about his daughter is sick so it's not like this is some big secret or anything.

Whatever, I just hope this gets resolved so we can make a move to shore up the right side. That's a pretty important piece regarding what this team has dealt with on the right side for the last several years.

Someone posted that we should forgive him if we find out his daughter has a terminal illness. 

I then said if that's the case, we should be the one asking for forgiveness as many here have talked poorly of TH without knowing the full story. 

Who knows? 

Maybe he's an anti vaxxer

Maybe he is vaxxed but worried about 4th wave and is thinking of opting out. 

He very well could have felt comfortable before the surge in covid numbers but now must take family safety into consideration. 

Who really knows... 

Who really knows about why Hughes and Petterson hasn't signed either... 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Okay, so nothing you have said here, in any way shape or form, means that Hamonic isn't vaccinated.

You could have just said that you can't provide a source saying that he isn't vaccinated

You're pretty obsessed with this. Why wouldn't he just say he's vaccinated and that's not the issue then? Maybe he's hiding it from the church. Actually some stupid religious zeal makes the most sense of this non sensical situation.

44 minutes ago, mll said:

It also slides if he plays in the AHL.

He was drafted out of Europe so he can play in the AHL but the slide rules apply as he is still a teenager.  He would only burn a year if he plays in 10 NHL games. 

Well then AHL for sure, if this is the case.

17 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

You're pretty obsessed with this. Why wouldn't he just say he's vaccinated and that's not the issue then? Maybe he's hiding it from the church. Actually some stupid religious zeal makes the most sense of this non sensical situation.

Because I'm tired of watching people quoting speculation as fact.

He has at least one kid with medical challenges, how is it any of our business what his reasoning is for not being in camp. If he's putting family first, he's doing what he should be doing, give the guy a break and some privacy!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

44 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah never mind the potential underlying concern is for the health of his daughter. This place is pure vitriol these days. No wonder we are so hated around the league. Brutal.

44 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Really? Are we sinking this low for our hypothetical now?

9 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Because I'm tired of watching people quoting speculation as fact.

He has at least one kid with medical challenges, how is it any of our business what his reasoning is for not being in camp. If he's putting family first, he's doing what he should be doing, give the guy a break and some privacy!

Training camp for players with the team.