The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

18 minutes ago, AV. said:

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/canucks

Yep.  13.7M in space and only 10F listed (that's already including Ferlend on LTIR).

But no Hamonic opt-out, I'm told.:rolleyes:

Makes you wonder...

Benning is here to stay for now, so get onboard the Canucks train and stop obsessing over the GM. 

You have 23 players, five or six coaches and a GM and AGM. 

So out of those 30 people, stop obsessing over the one person that you dont even see on the ice. 

1 hour ago, ABNucksfan said:

When did Wayne sign his last contract? When did the Sedins? Has your wage risen as much from when the Sedins signed to today? Didn’t think so… kids are entitled today. 

lol this is laughable. NHL player wages depend on the salary cap at the time of signing. Something that is specific to NHL players. The wages that we make as the serfs of society has no correlation to internal salary structure of NHL players.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Fanuck said:

So I think we can rule out seeing them play tonight - but what about Sunday?  Or do they just practice until Tuesday vs. Krackheads?   Do they need to quarantine or isolate - I don't even know how that works anymore for cross-border travellers? 

They get a pcr test within 72 hrs of departure. If negative they can travel to Canada. If vaccinated, no need for quarantine in Canada. Can get a random pcr test at customs if they are unlucky. 

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 3

1 minute ago, Devron44 said:

That’s because you always seem try and find a way to twist it to JB sucks narrative.

I honestly don’t know how he could have done better this off-season. Garland was a Super add and on a Super contract. OEL is a huge improvement over Edler. Petey and Hughes on reasonably good contracts. Not sure what there is to complain about right now 

I didn't even say that he sucked; I simply commented that he doesn't budget correctly.  

We're a week away from the season and it took this long to get these contracts done.  Obviously the structure of our cap had something to do with this and he's the one who signs contracts so...lol

• Wat 7
  • RoughGame 2

1 minute ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Benning is here to stay for now, so get onboard the Canucks train and stop obsessing over the GM. 

You have 23 players, five or six coaches and a GM and AGM. 

So out of those 30 people, stop obsessing over the one person that you dont even see on the ice. 

Good luck with that advice. This is cdc. Fire Benning threads every week. 

• Upvote 1

Petterson's AAV makes sense to me.  It's a balance between Barzal's and Aho's contracts.  I know there is concern about the term, but I don't mind it.  Management has to be careful over the next few years with contract decisions on players like Horvat, Miller, Boeser, Hoglander and Rathbone (assuming he really makes the jump) who will all need new contracts before the end of Pettersson's.  Myers' and Pearson's contracts will end at the same time as Pettersson's which will free up important cap space to re-sign Pettersson.  Ferland's contract won't be an issue (no need to consider LTIR for his contract) by then either.

Hughes is about where I would have hoped based on the crazy 2nd contracts other Dmen in his cohort were receiving.  As much as Hughes' D is questioned, he's still a critical piece to the Canucks D core and they are much more effective with him in the line-up than without.  Last year wasn't great for Hughes' defensive play, but it was less of a concern in his rookie year when, at times, he looked every bit the part of a smaller but effective Dman because of superior skating and positioning.  How much of that was Tanev remains to be seen, but I think there's reason to hope that Hughes will be able to develop that part of his game to at least be more effective than he was last year.

The Canucks will still have some dead cap next offseason but they also have about $28M in cap space with only Boeser, Rathbone and Juolevi as RFAs to re-sign and no major UFAs.  As long as they don't add more dead cap, they're actually not in a terrible situation looking 2-3 years out.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Petterson's AAV makes sense to me.  It's a balance between Barzal's and Aho's contracts.  I know there is concern about the term, but I don't mind it.  Management has to be careful over the next few years with contract decisions on players like Horvat, Miller, Boeser, Hoglander and Rathbone (assuming he really makes the jump) who will all need new contracts before the end of Pettersson's.  Myers' and Pearson's contracts will end at the same time as Pettersson's which will free up important cap space to re-sign Pettersson.  Ferland's contract won't be an issue (no need to consider LTIR for his contract) by then either.

Hughes is about where I would have hoped based on the crazy 2nd contracts other Dmen in his cohort were receiving.  As much as Hughes' D is questioned, he's still a critical piece to the Canucks D core and they are much more effective with him in the line-up than without.  Last year wasn't great for Hughes' defensive play, but it was less of a concern in his rookie year when, at times, he looked every bit the part of a smaller but effective Dman because of superior skating and positioning.  How much of that was Tanev remains to be seen, but I think there's reason to hope that Hughes will be able to develop that part of his game to at least be more effective than he was last year.

The Canucks will still have some dead cap next offseason but they also have about $28M in cap space with only Boeser, Rathbone and Juolevi as RFAs to re-sign and no major UFAs.  As long as they don't add more dead cap, they're actually not in a terrible situation looking 2-3 years out.

the 2.4 mil in Jake and Holtby's buyouts aren't great, but we still have Ferlands LTIR next year so thats there at least, and Lu is finally off the books too.

Every team has to use ELCs and cheapie RFAs, and I do like what I'm seeing out of guys like Lockwood and Gadj's for those roles. Maybe Klimovoch in a year.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, AV. said:

Precisely my point but because I dared mention the GM is at fault for this tightness in cap, the angry mob came out...

The angry mob came out because your "evidence" was clearly false. 

You're more than welcome to make the argument that Jim Benning should be at fault for this rather than Petey and Hughes - just don't back it up with evidence that is clearly misguided. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

The angry mob came out because your "evidence" was clearly false. 

You're more than welcome to make the argument that Jim Benning should be at fault for this rather than Petey and Hughes - just don't back it up with evidence that is clearly misguided. 

Ehh, I'm still fairly positive Hamonic op-out will happen.  I'd be surprised if it doesn't.

13 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

That $28M doesn't account for Petey and Hughes so it will be closer to $13M barring any trades, but that should still be more than enough to give Boeser ~7 and 5-6 between bridges for Rathbone and Juolevi plus other depth

Edited by Chronic.Canuck
Juolevi not hog
  • Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, Hamhuis Hip Check said:

When they signed their last contract they already werent in their prime. Daniel had 47 points and hank had 50. Not exactly greats stats to be paying 7 million for. I would sign petey for his contract before either of the sedins for their last contract anyday. 

I do agree with this. 

Losing the Stanley cup in 2011 hurt. 

Winning the presidents cup and losing in the first round in 2012  was even worse. By 2013-2014, it was clear that the window had closed. 

I would take Petterson contract in a heartbeat before the Sedins last contract as they were clearly regressing. However, I do like that the Canucks didn't trade them at the deadline and rather signed them for a respectful amount for all they've done for this franchise. It would have been weird to see them as rental players and then sign in the off season with another team. 

I was an advocate of trading them and salvaging something for them but lately, (maybe I'm getting old) but I feel that there is value in loyalty and treating people with respect. 

2 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I do agree with this. 

Losing the Stanley cup in 2011 hurt. 

Winning the presidents cup and losing in the first round in 2012  was even worse. By 2013-2014, it was clear that the window had closed. 

I would take Petterson contract in a heartbeat before the Sedins last contract as they were clearly regressing. However, I do like that the Canucks didn't trade them at the deadline and rather signed them for a respectful amount for all they've done for this franchise. It would have been weird to see them as rental players and then sign in the off season with another team. 

I was an advocate of trading them and salvaging something for them but lately, (maybe I'm getting old) but I feel that there is value in loyalty and treating people with respect. 

They would have needed to be traded as a pair to somewhere both were willing to go and had the cap space.  A trade was never a realistic option.

2 hours ago, ABNucksfan said:

When did Wayne sign his last contract? When did the Sedins? Has your wage risen as much from when the Sedins signed to today? Didn’t think so… kids are entitled today. 

As a percentage or total dollars? 

I am not sure what you are asking sorry.

Let's say Hank got $6.1 and Petey gets $7.7, or a $1.6m increase, or 26%? That's 2.6% per year without compounding.

Is that what you mean?