The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

2 hours ago, -DLC- said:

Again...can you quote what you're referring to instead of generalizations?

Losing our minds?  Where?

I mean writing huge posts like this about a trumped up slight in your own mind. If an NHLer calls your team dog$&!# that's one thing but a 20 year old saying we had a poor year just doesn't deserve comments like these imho. Maybe we're just different but as a competitive athlete his statement appears completely non derogatory to me.

The truth is we had a bad season, but if there are "reasons" Quinn struggled (because of the worst team) you also have to accept the "reasons" that the team struggled.

Truth:  schedule was AWFUL and NO other team had to endure what this team did.

Truth:  when the schedule was set to ease up, COVID hit.  HARD.

Truth:  Petey was out and that's our top scorer.  Duh.

No laughing matter unless this is a clown show that doesn't really accept facts as truth.

Another "truth" from the take out bag:  we did pretty well in the playoffs the year before.  But sure, let's glance over that part because it can't be trolled.

Vancouver fans have taken enough of this garbage.  Personally, I'm not really upset...but it's time to focus on the excitement of the coming year so we can shut all the haters (trolls) up.  Truth:  I'd rather be a fan of this garbage team than not know where I belong.

Also:  Jack should probably focus on his team.  Last I heard they were closer to the bottom than this team.  He was asked a question about HIS extension but managed to avoid that.  Trying to get some leverage for his brother's deal by throwing his team under the bus.  Not cool.  Maybe he's already lining up HIS extension by offering excuses for not helping his team improve.  Because that's what top players do....they make a team better.  

-----

I have not turned on him but his brother has weakened his position in my mind because he’s planted a negative seed.

-----

After this bs I’d come back with sign my deal or you are on your way to Buffalo 

----

How do you not, Quinn should be in damage control mode right now because he now has to convince the team and his teammates that Jack isn’t his mouth piece.

----

Not sure what Jack Hughes is chirping about.  For a 1st overall pick his numbers are pretty average.  Hoglander has at least equal numbers to him if you look at each player's first season.  Hoglander may end up one of the best players in the entire 2019 draft.  And Podkolzin may end up better than both Hughes and Hoglander.

----

Also what is with this new trend of one brother who is under contract with another team, Sitting infront of a camera completely crapping on another franchise pretty much saying "pay my brother or we will convince him not to sign". This has to be pushing the limits of some type of tampering no?

----

What do you base your analysis off of? What makes Vancouver one of the worst teams? Please tell me more than just the overall standings, because if all you have to point at is the standings, you arent much of a fan or a follower of the team and you are more of a bandwagoner. ‘The team is winning, they are good, I better hop on!! Hmm…. The team is kinda struggling, this team sucks’ 

The standings did not and do not tell the whole story of how the season went. Its a lazy and lame ass way to label a team based on where they finished.

Dallas - SCF in 2019-20….

Dallas - Late start to the season due to COVID - somewhat tough scheduling, No Seguin… No playoffs.

Vancouver - 2nd round Game 7 2019-20

Vancouver - harshest scheduling in the entire league (not a conspiracy, just how COVID effected the scheudule) - COVID, No Pettersson… No playoffs.

2 teams with 3 things in common and its the same result. No other team had the same hurdles.

Injuries and tough scheduling at some point in the season are hurdles all teams go through. COVID is not a hurdle all teams go through or went through

Vancouver is not and was not a garbage team, they had an extremely difficult season. Get that through your head and recognize the difference between a garbage team and a horrendously unlucky season. 

----

Question:  "Quinn in Vancouver is waiting on a deal and don't worry, I'm not gonna ask for the inside track no matter how many Canucks fans tune in to the show I will leave that alone...but does seeing what he's going through right now make you think about your own extension?  Or can you just focus on hockey right now?"

Answer:  "Yeah, just for me I think I'm just gonna focus on the game let that, let my playing do the talking...um, see how the year goes but you know Quinn he's deserved the money, he should get  uh you know he's had two pretty good years.  I know last year people were talking about his defense and his dashes but you know, when you play on one of the worst teams in the division and in the league um, that's bound to happen.  Uh, I think he's just waiting now ... I know he loves Vancouver and he wants to play there but the number has to be right so, uh we'll see when that gets done"

Didn't say anything in response to the question of his extension.  So is that not applicable to Quinn, too?  That his "play can do the talking"?  Little brother doesn't really need to explain for him. 

Anyone...blaming a team for a  personal lack of success sounds like excuses to me.  Good players make those around them better.

Love Quinn, but this attitude of entitlement for me is something new.  I like the bring your work boots and pay your dues players.   Happy to be here stuff.  How do teammates feel hearing this garbage?  We have some bright and upcoming stars in the line up....most would be quite thrilled at the prospect of joining them.  The team seemed to have fun in the playoff bubble...so were they the worst then, too?  Or just when COVID and the brutal schedule and Petey being out hit?  

I want guys who speak for themselves and, right now, the silence is deafening. 

I'm growing a little disenchanted.  This is a big distraction and this team really doesn't need to start on that footing.

----

I think Jack can say anything he wants about his brother and the team he plays for. Nothing wrong with him talking smack and also nothing wrong with Vancouver fans giving it back to him. I don’t really understand Van fans thinking it’s fine for Jack but if we have fun clapping back at him we are somehow tense. If somebody says to my wife that her husband is ugly I like to think that her reply would be better than “well statistically speaking I can’t argue with you.”

Calling Vancouver one of the worst teams in the league when his team was worse certainly entitles us to return fire. Not much else to do right now.

----

1.  Brutal (worst schedule in the league) - check it out, it wasn't pretty

2.  JUST as it was about to ease up a bit and level off, COVID hit (hard)

3.  Petey was out/injured

If we're going to offer excuses (reasons) for individual performances I think it's only fair to accept excuses (reasons) for the team's performance.  

----

So we're toxic and you're pointing things out for us?

You're part of the problem, not the solution.

We're all invested in this team and it's sad that we even have to have a negative spin to start the year.  But "it is what it is" and Jack spouting off didn't sit well with some of us, that's all.  No right/wrong here...it's all just "opinions".

But pointing out the flaws of the rest of us never sits well.  We are all Canucks - toxic, but all in.

It got personal when someone outside the team called this team one of the worst.  Which was cute, considering, his team sits below us.  Yes, we react to that because that assessment of the team is unfair and taken out of context.  Look at why this team struggled, not just that they struggled.  Also, footnote:  his brother was part of that and he is not above the team or immune to the criticism.  That part didn't sit well with me. 

----

This is from February, but when Jack screams that our team is the worst.....well.....

----

To me this is a lot of over-reaction posts for a nothing comment about an unintended topic. It seems he's trolling you guys hardcore but he doesn't even know it. :P Anyways no biggie, I just found it odd some people took offence to this. It seemed like an honest answer to an honest question. No harm intended.

6 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

I notice that all the jackass butt smoochers whining on his behalf only refer to the "one of the worst teams" portion of his comment. They conveniently ignore the fact that he's using that as an excuse to justify Quinn's below average defensive play. The team is the players, so he's blaming Quinn's team-mates while absolving him of any blame.

I posted this earlier

On the same team    Edler 32,2% o zone starts  -8       Schmidt 34.9% O zone starts   -7 

Hamonic 52% O zone starts -3    Hughes 62.2 O zone starts -24

Edler and Schmidt had higher D-zone starts than Quinn's O zone starts yet have a much better +/-. Same team, same team-mates.

It’s almost as if they had 10 plus years of more experience then Quinn 

• RoughGame 1

5 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

It’s almost as if they had 10 plus years of more experience then Quinn 

Right. So why should he get paid like a vet that can play good defence then? His one dimensional play doesn't warrant the level of pay of a better two way player like Makar.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, RomanP said:

I actually disagree on the "backing himself into the corner". I think $16 mil for these 2 players at this stage of their career and development is more than generous. Had he left more money available, the agents wouldn't let him save any of it for other players, they would have tried to squeeze every single dollar. This way, here's the offer, take it or leave it, there's no more money available under the cap and we can only negotiate on the term.

image.png.7d90e76f473109cfb52945af9c7a4535.pngimage.png.bf3fde9413ac0da42d4221613939708f.pngimage.png.6e5b35c6fa0f21aa8a2b1b34d7dca23e.png

Edited by Gawdzukes

Just now, RWMc1 said:

Right. So why should he get paid like a vet that can play good defence then? His one dimensional play doesn't warrant the level of pay of a better two way player like Makar.

I’m in wait and see mode. I ain’t getting worked up like the lot here. I don’t think he deserves Makar money no. I think on long term he should be paid accordingly re: he and the team will be better. He is very young and people forget that. Signing him to a bridge deal would not help us long term but maybe that’s where this is headed, Getting a little overpaid now could definitely be a blessing in a couple years though. We are getting ahead of ourselves before the facts are revealed. 

Gm's are absolutely &^@#ing high this season. Last year they wouldn't spend a dime due to flat cap, this year it's a players' wet dream. 

I don't think I've seen anything close to this many bad overpaid contracts getting signed any time I've started watching hockey decades ago. 

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

And that matters how? 

Because contract generally have term attached to them. We aren’t resigning an 30 year old here. We are resigning a 21 year old that had a pretty damn good season his first year but struggled his sophomore year. Not uncommon at all. All very different scenarios which we can only wait to see how they reveal themselves.

Just now, MikeyD said:

Gm's are absolutely &^@#ing high this season. Last year they wouldn't spend a dime due to flat cap, this year it's a players' wet dream. 

I don't think I've seen anything close to this many bad overpaid contracts getting signed any time I've started watching hockey decades ago. 

It’s kind of like the Loui Errikson off season signing year with that group of overpaid guys, but on Milan Lucic steroids. 

5 hours ago, McBackup said:

If we're being charitable to all sides here, players and management, I think its only fair we give the agent the benefit of the doubt too. He's working for the players. Trying to secure the best possible contracts for them. Its not like he's going to sign the contracts himself or undercut his clients for the sake of the team. He's doing his job.

he is doing is job, but there's more than one way to go about it. The holdout and media tactics leave some damage. 

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Timråfan said:

I stay neutral because this is between the agents and Benning. 

The journalists play their card and interview family members as shown with Tkachuk and Hughes. Why do fans bother about that? 

Talk about being led to the slaughterhouse willingly. 

And sports today is a money business. I would like to change that but I have no power... 

yup it would be best if we didn't let the agents and media lead us around. 

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Petey and Hughes don’t have contracts, so technically they’re not holding out until the season starts, no?  

true, but camp stats tomorrow doesn't it? its such an important time for them to be here, learning from the new coaching staff. Its disappointing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 2

You gotta hand it to those fat cat agents... a few months ago I recall people saying $6.5-7M max!  Absolute max!  Now we hear "$8M or $9M...  I can live with that...."

Hate them agents, but they know what the hell they're doing, and they're damn good at it.

• Upvote 1