The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

7 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Petey wants Marner 10.9M x 6 and QH wants Makar 9m x 6.  This has been reported by Dhaliwal and others as direct quotes from their agents as to what the comparables are for these players.

The players and their agents  do not want bridge deals at this point.  They want the Canucks to trade a player to make room to give them the 6 year deals costing 19.9M per year.  Canucks have only 16M ish available.

That is why no deals yet.  Petey has now gone to Michigan to join QH and they are gonna sit there together and wait.

That is the reality my friends.

Gonna be a long time. Petey moved to Quinn's agent. Jack says Quinn deserves a big number. That sets the table.

This is it folks.  There is no magic bullet.  Gonna be a while before they eventually sign bridge deals and a lot of bad feelings have been created.

People are justified in feeling upset  This is a big disappointment for a very patient and loyal fan base. 

I want EP to play 82 games and drop 95 points, and for huggy to be talked about as one of the top defenseman, along with being voted top 3 for norris in his 2nd year. Maybe they could try accomplishing these things first before putting themselves on better players levels? These agents are insane lmao. JB ain't biting 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

This is nit-picking garbage. Why don't they have a contract? Are you suggesting that they haven't received many options by Benning. They haven't signed any of them, so they are holding out for a better deal. Is that too hard for you to comprehend?

Phrase however you prefer, but technically they’re not holding out.  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, thrago said:

That part I believe, just not so sure thats what EP and QH believe they deserve. Agents say all sorts of crazy stuff.

hoo boy.  Jack says Quinn deserves a big number and we will see where that goes. Petey moved to Quinns agent. Petey flew to Michigan to hang out with QH.

Pretty clear that they are in this together.  No reason at all to think that they are not on board with their agents advice.

5 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

1 or 2 lol? have u been reading the entire thread? literally every page in this thread since mid august there's couple post about suggestions to trade them or sit them

How about quote the many posters that have suggested sitting them for the entire year. And while you're at it quote the many posters that have said they only deserve 5 million per for three years.

There are far more who say 7 million per for three years and sit them for a while if their demands are unreasonable. That's not what you said though is it?

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

This is nit-picking garbage. Why don't they have a contract? Are you suggesting that they haven't received many options by Benning. They haven't signed any of them, so they are holding out for a better deal. Is that too hard for you to comprehend?

I'm guessing that you've never had to negotiate a major, multi million dollar contract, if that a fair assumption?

3 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

How about quote the many posters that have suggested sitting them for the entire year. And while you're at it quote the many posters that have said they only deserve 5 million per for three years.

There are far more who say 7 million per for three years and sit them for a while if their demands are unreasonable. That's not what you said though is it?

how about you go thru those pages and just look at them urself? probably easier than me having to quote every single one of them? lots of those 7mil per 3 only changed recently when they were more like the they have done nothing and worth 6-6.5 at most. the market dictates everything. if it was just 1 you can say it's an anomoly and doesn't set the market but when good chunk of the RFA are all getting similar deals then ya why wouldn't they be asking for it? Makar is way more injury prone than EP and got a massive contract and that's on a contending team too. so why wouldn't EP ask for similar on a bubble team at best?

4 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Listen to what Button says on today's D & D ... about Pettersson's numbers versus comparables. You can see how/why we're here with Petey based on comparables ... and now with Kaprisov.

Starts at 7:25 ...

Thank you for posting this.  This is what I have been saying.  There is a reality that sets the table for Petey and QH and their agents to ask for huge numbers.  If JB wants to hold the line this is going to be a long slow process.  Fans need to realize that just saying sign them to a bridge won't happen anytime soon. It will take time .  The agents will wait until no offer sheets come for Petey.  They will then potentially wait to see how the Canucks start the year without their two best players.

Why did Petey go join Qh's agency?  So they could do this. So they could force the Canucks into starting the season without their 2 best players as the ultimate hammer.

Slimy tactics by all involved but that is where this is heading. And in a hurry.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

how about you go thru those pages and just look at them urself? probably easier than me having to quote every single one of them? lots of those 7mil per 3 only changed recently when they were more like the they have done nothing and worth 6-6.5 at most. the market dictates everything. if it was just 1 you can say it's an anomoly and doesn't set the market but when good chunk of the RFA are all getting similar deals then ya why wouldn't they be asking for it? Makar is way more injury prone than EP and got a massive contract and that's on a contending team too. so why wouldn't EP ask for similar on a bubble team at best?

You're the one who made those claims. Prove you're not full of crap.

2 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

I think he answered that for you himself this summer. He was clear he only wants to play on a team that’s winning. 

Over-paying guys out of their ELCs who haven’t proven anything (as far as winning) is not how you build a winner. 

I guess he expects other guys on the team to take less than they deserve so management can build a contender. It’s his right but I was hoping for better leadership. 

8 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Thank you for posting this.  This is what I have been saying.  There is a reality that sets the table for Petey and QH and their agents to ask for huge numbers.  If JB wants to hold the line this is going to be a long slow process.  Fans need to realize that just saying sign them to a bridge won't happen anytime soon. It will take time .  The agents will wait until no offer sheets come for Petey.  They will then potentially wait to see how the Canucks start the year without their two best players.

Why did Petey go join Qh's agency?  So they could do this. So they could force the Canucks into starting the season without their 2 best players as the ultimate hammer.

Slimy tactics by all involved but that is where this is heading. And in a hurry.

if you're correct, then one of these guys need to be traded. Maybe the threat of ending up in Buffalo might get things moving :P

• Cheers 2

18 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

And Benning has a trade to Buffalo as the ultimate hammer.

• Cheers 1

Petey signs a three year deal which will still be 7-8.5 just he’ll most likely be getting over 12 on his next contract. 

Once again it seems pretty short sighted. 

the Canucks gambled thinking comparable contracts/signings would be less due to COVID and the flat cap they were wrong and it’s going to be an expensive mistake. 
even more so with hughes he might not be makar but that still sets the bar for a top tier young rfa DMan.

I'm going to guess it ends up $9.5 x 4 for petey (he sacrifices dollars, jim sacrifices leverage) and $8.5 x 4 for quinn (jim sacrifices dollars, quinn sacrifices leverage) and benning somehow finds a way to make the dollars work. 

maybe even identical $9 x 4 deals.