The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

3 minutes ago, gurn said:

"Not close"

"Just get it done"

Seems close, if they can just get it done.

conversely doesn't seem they can "just get it done" if they are not close.

Does Irfaan get paid by the tweet?

The possible possibility of the impossible is possible if not impossible in it’s possibly impossible impossibility.

Edited by Me_
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, gurn said:

"Not close"

"Just get it done"

Seems close, if they can just get it done.

conversely doesn't seem they can "just get it done" if they are not close.

Does Irfaan get paid by the tweet?

Sign petey and trade QH.  Too much drama and if they are using their tandem to gain leverage now, it could be worse later.  

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Sign petey and trade QH.  Too much drama and if they are using their tandem to gain leverage now, it could be worse later.  

You don’t trade one of the best rookies in the history of the game.

You sit him until he signs and continue to negotiate.

Edited by Me_

You simply need to look at who over the next 3 years is up for renewal ands it's clear that between 2 -3 of our core assets we deem nottouchable today  will be gone by the end of next season.

We can only have so many contracts paying the top averages in the salary cap world

If players sign cap friendly deals a team can use the savings to build up the team around them. If not we get into the situation of a few stars with next 5o no supporting cast .... forever rolling the dice on reclamation projects.

Don't get me wrong as I want both Pete and Quinn to remain canucks but it's clear at this point that the cost of doing so will have us back in a rebuild mode in 3 years as we trade away key players for picks and rookies for cap reasons 

It is what it is and the next 2 to 3 years must be treated as our window of opportunity and go all in.

Getting back to the cup even if we don't win would go a long way to having players want to be here and want to leave enough $$$ to ensure all the parts remain intact

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MattJVD said:

RNH is much closer to a comparable for Horvat than for Pettersson. 60 point, 2nd line + 1st unit PP, all situations type player. If we could land Horvat at 5.25 x 8 years, I'd be over the moon.

Like Petey, RNH is more of a winger than a cman

I can see a scenario where the agent is stalling, being difficult, trying to gain leverage on Benning (and make a lot more for himself), but the players (Quinn and Petey) might be getting annoyed as well by this point, feeling it's taking too long, they're missing out on the team building and preseason action. The regular season starts soon and they could miss games. According to Boeser it's not a fun situation for the player. The Canucks are moving on without them and I'm sure they'd much rather be with the team getting ready to kick some butt.

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Like Petey, RNH is more of a winger than a cman

Petey just doesn't take the faceoffs, he still has the defensive responsibilities of the centreman.  And until Petey becomes better/exceeds Miller at taking faceoffs, I would have Miller taking the faceoffs too.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

I can see a scenario where the agent is stalling, being difficult, trying to gain leverage on Benning (and make a lot more for himself), but the players (Quinn and Petey) might be getting annoyed as well by this point, feeling it's taking too long, they're missing out on the team building and preseason action. The regular season starts soon and they could miss games. According to Boeser it's not a fun situation for the player. The Canucks are moving on without them and I'm sure they'd much rather be with the team getting ready to kick some butt.

This is what I'm hoping for. 

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

I hope that QH and EP get annoyed about this whole negotiation tactic that they sign their bridge deals soon, and then the next time it comes around, they know how these negotiations went, and will sign earlier!  Wishful thinking ... I know :lol:

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

Petey just doesn't take the faceoffs, he still has the defensive responsibilities of the centreman.  And until Petey becomes better/exceeds Miller at taking faceoffs, I would have Miller taking the faceoffs too.

Pretty much whichever fwd gets back first plays the cman role in the defensive zone.  Because he's so fast, Jake often ended up down low in tye dzone

1 minute ago, ForzaTikare said:

Just watched a YT clip of teams that should Offer Sheet EP and this made me think..

image.png.30783fda2dd3117768f9c0c19fa8ceb9.png

Exactly how much would this forum be on fire if this happened? 
(The other teams were Rangers, VGK, Lames and Wild)

Pretty simple Benning would just match it 

• Vintage 1