The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

No it doesn’t.  His QO will be what the current contract’s AAV is.  Plus, if during this contract Petey is putting up McDavid;Kucherov numbers we are definitely winning a Cup.  

I love the belief! :canucks::towel:

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Devron44 said:

Why wouldn’t he improve? He’s barely 22. Even if he becomes average in his own end and is practically a PPG it’s worth every dollar 

I hope he becomes at least average in his own end. That's really all I'm hoping for. Doesn't have to be a stud defensive dman. He's a long way from even that though. Barrie and Reilly were also barely 22 at one point, how far have they come since then? Some players just don't and that fine as long as he continues to produced at an elite level offensively. But when these types don't (eg Barrie and Reilly), their suspect defense really starts to stand out. I just think a shorter term puts that pressure on Quinn to do so, that's all.

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I was hoping we could give Hughes a bridge deal at a lower cap hit where he could prove that his defensive game could improve, but term is never a bad thing for a star player, and it's under 8 mill per season. 

If nothing else maybe the NJD fans will shut up about signing him as a free agent now.

Pettersson seems about right for a bridge. We still control his rights after the contract ends, which is maybe the best thing about his deal. Curious to see what the qualifying offer will be.

All in all pretty tidy work if these numbers are to be believed. 

Now let's get these guys to camp ffs.

I believe the highest it could be is around 9ish? I'm gonna go out on a limb and say he will be worth more then that in 3 years.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Why? We have more than enough space to fit those numbers in.

Rathbone will be coming off his entry level contract, and Boeser will be due for a raise. Not to mention the way Halak's contract is structured will affect our cap next year too.

Also, we still want to improve our blueline as well.

Some sacrifices will have to be made, and with Miller close to hitting the age where forwards tend to decline and the likelihood that he'll be looking for a retirement contract, he may have to be the sacrificial lamb.

Hopefully Podz and Hogz will be able to fill the void while still on their entry level deals.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Rathbone will be coming off his entry level contract, and Boeser will be due for a raise. Not to mention the way Halak's contract is structured will affect our cap next year too.

Also, we still want to improve our blueline as well.

Some sacrifices will have to be made, and with Miller close to hitting the age where forwards tend to decline and the likelihood that he'll be looking for a retirement contract, he may have to be the sacrificial lamb.

Hopefully Podz and Hogz will be able to fill the void while still on their entry level deals.

Growing teams always have to make adjustments, look at Tampa, but we're good for the next few years.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Worst case, he's still tradeable as long as he doesn't regress further into Barrie territory.

And that's the risk here with less pressure on Quinn as he's given himself 6 years to work on his defensive game instead of 3 or whatever. I agree that he would be tradable still though, but at what value? As long as Quinn can sustain elite offense for the duration of the contract, I'd be okay with some suspect defense though. It would just become much more prominent for his defense if he cools off.