The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

3 minutes ago, bbllpp said:

I agree, Hughes setting himself up to be the whipping boy getting paid more than OEL when clearly his on ice play is not there yet and setting Petey up for a big pay day in 3 years while leaving no money for depth this year and raises over the next two summers.  Worst possible outcome for me honestly and very good chance we’ll regret it

Most definitely a glass half empty kinda guy

Edited by Kenny Blankenship
  • Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Boeser will fine next year. In 2 years thats when it’s more tricky. Horvat, Miller and Hogz. 

Yeah true. Holtby and Virtanen's buyouts will fall away to provide $2.4m of extra space that year. Plus I think they will need to trade Pearson to make some more space (replaced by a young ELC like Lockwood/Klimovich/Focht). Would give $4.75m for pay rises. If we can keep them at something like: Horvat $7m, Miller $7m, Hogs $3m, then that's $5.35m in pay rises. Gotta find another $600k, should be doable...

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, bbllpp said:

I agree, Hughes setting himself up to be the whipping boy getting paid more than OEL when clearly his on ice play is not there yet and setting Petey up for a big pay day in 3 years while leaving no money for depth this year and raises over the next two summers.  Worst possible outcome for me honestly and very good chance we’ll regret it

I agree that QH's salary is high in my mind.  I was a bit surprised.  BUT, the media are suggesting OEL is not the #1 D and that position is QH's.  Give QH the appropriate defensive partner and things are just fine.  This isn't the worst possible outcome (some of the trade proposals for these guys were though).  Biggest downside in my mind is similar to Myers' salary......a bit too high but not ridiculously high and he's still valuable to the team.  This is not a LE deal.

1 minute ago, BigTramFan said:

Yeah true. Holtby and Virtanen's buyouts will fall away to provide $2.4m of extra space that year. Plus I think they will need to trade Pearson to make some more space (replaced by a young ELC like Lockwood/Klimovich/Focht). Would give $4.75m for pay rises. If we can keep them at something like: Horvat $7m, Miller $7m, Hogs $3m, then that's $5.35m in pay rises. Gotta find another $600k, should be doable...

Fingers crossed the cap goes up a little

• Cheers 4

1 minute ago, Kenny Blankenship said:

Most definitely a glass half empty kinda guy

Not at all, Hughes is not a 7.75 M player today not likely for 2-3 years that’s no different in my mind than what OEL will likely be in 3-4 years both situations impact the competitiveness of the team as a whole 

1 minute ago, BigTramFan said:

Im sure we figure it out. At the end of the day if we lose a guy like Miller in 2 years when we have Podz, Hogz and others taking bigger roles, it’s the circle of life. Or we just throw him on LTIR and get him for Playoffs hahah

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, bbllpp said:

Or, conversely, Hughes signs short term, accepts his qualifying offer when his contract runs out and walks to NJ for nothing, while Pettersson's injury woes follow him for the remainder of his 6 year, 9 mill per season and we lose out on our chance at a cup run because our best player is injured 1/3rd of the time.

Every endgame was going to come with inherent risk. It just depends how you look at it.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

In the new CBA the qualifying offer can only be 120% of the AAV of the overall contract with the salary made on the last year having to be at or exceeding that in order to receive that 120%.

An example being 8M AAV on a deal with 10M of salary on the last year of that deal would only equate to 9.6M on the qualifying offer since it can't exceed 120% of the AAV. 120% of 8M = 9.6M.

I believe they will definitely maximize that 120% they're able to get on their next qualifying deals if they do bridges. I think the term is a year apart because it creates twice as much hassle when you have to deal with 2 RFAs of this caliber, especially when they can buddy up with agents.

I believe the 120% maximum no longer exists in contracts signed after July 2020 like EP and QHs will be. It is now a minimum of 100% of their base salary. Boeser's was signed before July 10, 2020.

As per Cap Friendly regarding the new CBA:

• The qualifying offer is calculated from the players base salary (NHL salary minus signing bonus), and at minimum must meet the seasons minimum salary requirements:
    • 110% of the base salary if the base salary is less than or equal to $660,000
    • 105% of the base salary if the base salary is greater than $660,000 or less than $1,000,000. However, this qualifying offer cannot exceed $1,000,000.
    • 100% of the base salary if the base salary is equal to or greater than $1,000,000.
    • CBA Reference 10.2 (a) (ii)
  • For players who are on expiring contracts that were signed after July 10, 2020:
    • The Qualifying Offer is limited to 120% of their previous contracts annual average (AAV)
    • Reference: 2020 NHL CBA extension Memorandum of Understanding (MOU)
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

I agree that QH's salary is high in my mind.  I was a bit surprised.  BUT, the media are suggesting OEL is not the #1 D and that position is QH's.  Give QH the appropriate defensive partner and things are just fine.  This isn't the worst possible outcome (some of the trade proposals for these guys were though).  Biggest downside in my mind is similar to Myers' salary......a bit too high but not ridiculously high and he's still valuable to the team.  This is not a LE deal.

Agreed, it’s not terrible but a player that needs the right partner is not a top player and the money we’ve over paid him for the next couple years is not available to pay for said parter.  We are going down before up over the next couple years based on the these contracts, using Ferland’s LTIR means no depth, trade flexibility this year, it won’t be there next year for raises/depth nor the year after.  There is no real money coming off the books until Myers is done in 3 years so these guys better be lights out otherwise we’ll struggle to tread water the next few years 

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

That’s a good point. I just see from some people the way they talk that we’ve seen what we got in Hughes when clearly he was a step better in his first season. I ain’t worried but I wanted to ask why you thought that. Barrie and Reilly are good examples. I’d say there are more examples of players that get better well into their 20s though 

I think Hughes was an unknown in his first year and he was able to get away with his shiftiness and superb skating. Teams have figured him out. It could go either way, but there's risk. I just feel a shorter term pushes him to find that next level sooner. I'm not saying he won't, but there are examples of players that don't necessarily improve and when their offense dips, the lacking defensive game becomes even more prominent. It could very well be an amazing deal as well, but there's certainly room for improvement and I hope he does. At least maintain his elite offense throughout the contract, which he may, but also could be a challenge now with OEL likely taking some of the offensive minutes and Rathbone challenging for some as well.

• Cheers 1