The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] 29 players - Oct. 06, 2021

19 minutes ago, Canadian said:

I would agree with you, but it's obvious Travis Green wants vets penalty killing.

The top-9 is set (Miller, Petterson, Boeser, Pearson, Horvat, Garland, Hoglander, Dickinson, and Podkolzin).

I think he's eyeing vets to make up spots 10-11-12-13, and I think that means: DiGiuseppe, Dowling, Petan, Chiasson.

I think we see MacEwan waived. I think Lockwood goes down.

Green said it himself at a recent press conference, he wants six PKers, well, I think that means:

DiGiuseppe-Dickinson (PK1)

Petan-Dowling (PK2)

Pearson/Horvat/Miller (PK3)

I think Green has a bit of a blind spot when it comes to any confidence in young guys killing penalties. It’s kind of an old school coach stereotype that young guys can’t PK.

• Cheers 2

32 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I think Green has a bit of a blind spot when it comes to any confidence in young guys killing penalties. It’s kind of an old school coach stereotype that young guys can’t PK.

Yup. Being an effective penalty-killer and being committed defensively and back-checking are two very different things. There’s plenty of young players that are lacking defensive commitment but are good penalty killers because they’re looking to jump on opportunities to create shorthanded rushes and showcase their offensive speed and/or creativity in that way as well as 5on5.

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

I would love to hear an explanation stating why Gadj HAS to be top 9... There is nothing wrong with him being a 4th liner to start or even the 13th F in my opinion. Hopefully he clears and maybe coach Cull can get Gadj some PK time or something to help round his game out.

Stereotyping a young player to only being a top 9 or top 4D is just wrong imo. Players can adapt and change their game with time. Malhotra was a high pick but never lived up to the offensive output. He found himself a key role on the PK and faceoff circle with his determination. Gadj is NOT a C but he has shown improvement and that is ALL you can ask of a young guy trying to find his footing in the pros 

As mentioned by Daniel Wagner today on Pass It To Bulis (https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/canucks-hockey/canucks-camp-cuts-sleeping-with-the-viches-gadjovich-and-klimovich-sent-to-abbotsford-4492698), Gadj hasn't be a penalty killer since his junior days at Owen Sound. He hasn't got any PK experience with Utica at the pro AHL level, and also has not yet developed the flexibility to play the RW side as well as LW.  These attributes (or lack thereof) were probably the deciding factor.

However, with his improved skating stride, fitness level, and the opportunity to get some time on the PK time at Abby, maybe he can fill these gaps in his skill set and get another opportunity to play up with the Canucks in the show - next time on a 4th line role (rather than being only a top 9 option).

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, ZH96 said:

Yup. Being an effective penalty-killer and being committed defensively and back-checking are two very different things. There’s plenty of young players that are lacking defensive commitment but are good penalty killers because they’re looking to jump on opportunities to create shorthanded rushes and showcase their offensive speed and/or creativity in that way as well as 5on5.

I look around the league and there are several teams that see it that way. 

Our defensive style in general and to a certain degree the PK has been based on a more static, rigid structure that just ends up giving up too many chances. Top puck moving PP teams feast on that style. I would not mind seeing some more aggressiveness to limit time and space. 

Having said that, some fast guys, like Highmore, seem to overskate their positional play on the PK too, so there is a risk in being too aggressive.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Green is using Juolevi to kill penalties. The problem is that he's babying Rathbone and seemingly ignoring his weaknesses to the game. If Rathbone isn't scoring, he's not helping the Canucks in any other way. Green needs to understand this. If we're totally being honest, Juolevi has outplayed Rathbone because Rathbone doesn't really kill penalties, yet the Canucks have been on the PK a lot this preseason. Juolevi's been relied on to kill these penalties and has done a really good job doing so.

I think the Canucks would benefit from Juolevi making the team, rather than Rathbone.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Cheers 4

22 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

A guy Benning marvelled over just 4 years ago and has gotten better every year. With some of the guys we still have I think there’s a chance Benning claims him.

Yeah so do I. If Benning thinks he was a big loss to Seattle we can just take him back. He didn't show well in the NHL in his short time here but I was happy with his progress as a pro player overall.

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Green is using Juolevi to kill penalties. The problem is that he's babying Rathbone and seemingly ignoring his weaknesses to the game. If Rathbone isn't scoring, he's not helping the Canucks in any other way. Green needs to understand this. If we're totally being honest, Juolevi has outplayed Rathbone because Rathbone doesn't really kill penalties, yet the Canucks have been on the PK a lot this preseason. Juolevi's been relied on to kill these penalties and has done a really good job doing so.

I think the Canucks would benefit from Juolevi making the team, rather than Rathbone.

Are we actually worried that Rathbone may make the team over Juolevi? 

Huge Rathbone fan and I think he'll be a really good player but I hope the coaches don't think he's better than Juolevi right now? Could they possibly think that? 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Yeah it took a while for him to start using OJ there last year too. It wasn’t till we were out of the run of things or missing guys. 

• Cheers 1

Hopefully he clears. I would have like to see him get another shot but he will probably benefit from AHL time. He had gotten better year after year.

We probably would have waived him with a healthy roster early into the season so now is likely the best time to waive him as hard as it is to see. 

Lind waived too. Any notable centres on the wire?

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Huge Rathbone fan and I think he'll be a really good player but I hope the coaches don't think he's better than Juolevi right now? Could they possibly think that? 

Green talks of up/down groups and how he wants to get the main group together to prepare for the season with so many new faces.  Juolevi was sent down to the 2nd group.  Batchelor thinks it’s an indication that he is well behind Rathbone/Hunt.

30 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I'm just suspecting that Green is favouring certain players. I think it's obvious that he's doing that with Rathbone. He speaks glowingly of him, but is not as excited with Juolevi's performance thus far. It's what I've noticed.

18 minutes ago, mll said:

Green talks of up/down groups and how he wants to get the main group together to prepare for the season with so many new faces.  Juolevi was sent down to the 2nd group.  Batchelor thinks it’s an indication that he is well behind Rathbone/Hunt.

I do like Rathbone and Hunt but man... He will 100% get claimed on waivers. 

Maybe the bag skate did matter... :ph34r:

Gadjovich, I am not gonna be happy if/when he gets claimed. I think he did enough for a sniff at the big league.

Edit: Totally missed Lind's name. If Gadjovich gets claimed I say we claim Lind. Hell. Claim Lind even if Gadjovich clears. I like Lind a lot still. Call me sentimental. Lol.

Edited by N7Nucks
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, mll said:

If true, Green is in fact a guy who plays favourites. While we know this to be a basic truth for coaches, this assertion goes against any objective standard that he may pretend to employ.

It's clear as day that Juolevi is in this doghouse within a doghouse. We've seen this with Virtanen (to an extent). We've seen this with Goldobin. We've seen this abundantly with Player Name. We've also seen this yearly with Juolevi.

There is no way that Rathbone is ahead of Juolevi, based on this preseason. He's been gifted offensive minutes, including PP time and has zero points to show for this. Given how the team has been on the PK a lot, Juolevi does the things that Rathbone seemingly can't do - defend in his own end. 

Make no mistake, I do not hate Rathbone. I just do not like it when coaches set different standards for players.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I do like Rathbone and Hunt but man... He will 100% get claimed on waivers. 

Maybe the bag skate did matter... :ph34r:

If Juolevi gets waived by coach Green, I'm gonna be on the fire Green bandwagon. Waiving Juolevi is just an indication that he is playing favourites, and that is not something I would want in a coach.

Seriously, Rathbone is super exciting, but he's done little besides flash and dash. How do you slot in a defenseman that doesn't have other tools in his box yet? Rathbone is a great prospect, but he is no Quinn Hughes and thus, he cannot be given the same kind of leash that Hughes gets for being a playdriver.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, ZH96 said:

Alexander Volkov is up for grabs… A young decent framed winger that has a cup ring and upside. Anaheim traded a 2nd and B prospect for him only a year ago. 

Anaheim traded a 7th and C prospect*

Screenshot_20211006-235911_Chrome.jpg

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2