The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] 29 players - Oct. 06, 2021

17 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Anaheim traded a 7th and C prospect*

Screenshot_20211006-235911_Chrome.jpg

Couldn’t remember exactly how it went down but Morand is a former 2nd round pick of Anaheim so it was basically a 2nd and 7th for Volkov. And Morand is better than a C prospect. 

3D3E5872-3A40-43D6-96EC-90590FE53C09.jpeg

EE6F61C7-A937-4683-A625-E15D69C74F3F.jpeg

In the grand scheme of things, it would suck to lose Gadjovich but its not a claim that I would lose sleep over.

31 teams are in the same conundrum of pairing down their players and team. There are tons of decisions and so many roster spots. A team would have to really really like him to claim him give him a look and decide he is better than some of the other fringe NHL players. Its possible, but in the end Jonah Gadjovich is an alright player. Had a strong camp and preseason in terms of establishing a baseline, but he didn't really generate enough in my mind to say yup he is ready for prime time.

With him improving his skating and fitness quite honestly is not a huge development improvement rather it brought him to baseline of where Travis Green expects NHL quality players to be at. IMO, Jonah still needs to show more before we can consider him an NHL entity. Yes quite possibly deserved a look with the big club, butI'm not overly concerned about him being claimed or not. 

7 hours ago, Dazzle said:

If true, Green is in fact a guy who plays favourites. While we know this to be a basic truth for coaches, this assertion goes against any objective standard that he may pretend to employ.

It's clear as day that Juolevi is in this doghouse within a doghouse. We've seen this with Virtanen (to an extent). We've seen this with Goldobin. We've seen this abundantly with Player Name. We've also seen this yearly with Juolevi.

There is no way that Rathbone is ahead of Juolevi, based on this preseason. He's been gifted offensive minutes, including PP time and has zero points to show for this. Given how the team has been on the PK a lot, Juolevi does the things that Rathbone seemingly can't do - defend in his own end. 

Make no mistake, I do not hate Rathbone. I just do not like it when coaches set different standards for players.

This times 1000.

Juolevi hasn’t been lights out but he has been pretty steady at what we need on the 3rd pairing and the PK with the current group. 

If he is waived he will be claimed. If Hunt is, he won’t. Rathbone won’t be hurt at all playing all situations in Abbotsford.

Also, the way Baumgartner deploys the defense, having an all offense type D is going to be ugly.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

7 hours ago, Dazzle said:

If Juolevi gets waived by coach Green, I'm gonna be on the fire Green bandwagon. Waiving Juolevi is just an indication that he is playing favourites, and that is not something I would want in a coach.

Seriously, Rathbone is super exciting, but he's done little besides flash and dash. How do you slot in a defenseman that doesn't have other tools in his box yet? Rathbone is a great prospect, but he is no Quinn Hughes and thus, he cannot be given the same kind of leash that Hughes gets for being a playdriver.

I will feel similar if Lockwood gets sent down and Chiasson gets a contract. Which I strongly suspect will happen.

Highmore is another guy who has shown nothing but because they gave up Gaudette for him I bet he will be on the 3rd line with Miller.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Benning redeemed himself for me in many ways with all the changes this summer. This is a solid roster. But a new coach not tied to certain players despite their performance or certain players crazy glued to each other (Horvat and Pearson most notably) while not trying out different looks makes me wonder if keeping Green was a mistake.

I know keeping Baumgartner was one. Shaw has clearly not been given the autonomy he thought he was getting there. The team is playing the same offense and defense style that we disastered with last year.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I will feel similar if Lockwood gets sent down and Chiasson gets a contract. Which I strongly suspect will happen.

Highmore is another guy who has shown nothing but because they gave up Gaudette for him I bet he will be on the 3rd line with Miller.

I like Chiasson. He has been noticeable in games we've played against them. He would be a good signing.

Highmore is a role guy who handled ice time pretty well last year. If he makes the club it could be based on this. Hopefully he ends up as the 13th guy at best once Sutter and Motte are back.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

9 hours ago, ZH96 said:

Couldn’t remember exactly how it went down but Morand is a former 2nd round pick of Anaheim so it was basically a 2nd and 7th for Volkov. And Morand is better than a C prospect. 

3D3E5872-3A40-43D6-96EC-90590FE53C09.jpeg

EE6F61C7-A937-4683-A625-E15D69C74F3F.jpeg

Small, one way player that is averaging less than a half a point per game in the AHL at age 22. Very unlikely he ever cracks the NHL, that's a solid C all day.

13 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Small, one way player that is averaging less than a half a point per game in the AHL at age 22. Very unlikely he ever cracks the NHL, that's a solid C all day.

5’11, 184 is big enough and he’s only 22. He just had his best season so far in the AHL and has improved every year.
12 points in 19 games.. His scouting report literally talks about him being a hard worker and already having NHL speed. Let him round out his IQ and add a little more muscle and then at 23/24 he’ll probably be Tampa Bays next Yanni Gourde. B- prospect.