The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] 29 players - Oct. 06, 2021

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

On draft day!

I said how come no one is drafting Nick Hague...?

Obviously I get less correct than the pro's.  I got that one! A big, strong mobile D with a booming shot is exactly what we need!

image.thumb.png.49e8eaebf2847077ef1856a58787acfe.png

Me and you the same! I remember when the first round ended smiling thinking we’ll be getting one of Timmins or Hague! Whoever Colorado didn’t take then Benning picked a winger and I was sad. Grew to like Lind and hope we actually put in a claim for him and waive a guy like Di Guiseppe. Kole Lind is only 22 and might be more than this bottom 6 waiver fodder. Di Guiseppe, Dowling and Petan have more years and likely are what they are now.

Edited by flickyoursedin

54 minutes ago, Solinar said:

This is some definite bullsh#t when the team, who needs bottom six scoring, waives an option that legitimately makes a line a scoring threat.  Gadjovich has shown well in every game that he's played in, and if you can't figure out your pk/pp units because you have a stupid dinosaur notion that bottom six plays pk, and top six plays pp, and your coaches can't figure it out, what the hell is going on?  Our bottom six has been a blackhole for scoring the last few years, it is costing us games, and costing us progress.   And if you think I'm mad now, just wait till you see me if he gets claimed.  Waive freaking Macewan!!  I watched him last game, and nothing he gave makes up for what we lose in Gadjovich.  We need a guy who knows his role of getting in front of the net!!  Deflect the puck and block vision.  Oh wait, we lost last night, because we don't have anyone who goes and stands in front of the net who can actually do something while there other than stand slightly to one side so the goalie can make the save....

Awesome rant. 

Agreed

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JM_ said:

I know nothing about him - how's his speed?

Decent, from what I’ve seen the last two years he’s like a poor-mans Virtanen (poor-mans of when Jake was a monster out there). I think Volkov just needs to put it all together.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Once again we see the worst instincts of Green and Benning come to the fore as they choose other team's proven failures and castoffs over our draft choices... who haven't been given any real chances.

Well we did lose our crap about losing Lind and he's on waivers now. 

Same with Corrado before. 

Here's the rub though. If Motte, Sutter aren't back by start of season, there are 4 spots on the roster left including 13th forward. 

Let's say Lockwood and Bailey make the team. I was going to make the argument that JB may have tried to sneak Gadj down knowing Bailey was going to make it.  But what about f12 and f13? 

I think we all know Gadj outplayed Highmore, Dowling, McEwan, Petan, Chiasson, Dries, Focht and even Di Giuseppe (maybe). 

So what gives? Projected roster while missing Motte and Sutter. 

Miller Petterson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Hogz 

Garland Dickinson Podz 

Lockwood Bailey Di Giuseppe 

So Lockwood Bailey and Di Giuseppe and 13th forward were all better than Gadj? 

I don't agree with this unless Motte and Sutter are back sooner than we think. 

In that case, Gadj might have a higher chance of getting claimed. 

7 hours ago, Qwags said:

Gadjovich :(

I thought he earned a look in the regular season.

I will be quite disappointed if we lose him on waivers...this team needs players with size, so hopefully he clears. I don't know if Gadj will ever get a fair shot with Green as the coach. Think MacEwen is gonna be on waivers soon to as he has been used little under Green.

Fingers crossed that tomorrow when I check Gadj has cleared waivers, but I could see a team put in a claim based on last AHL season's output and if they are a rebuilding team they can afford to have a fringe NHLer on the roster

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

7 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

FBCRH-cWUAMNE1b?format=jpg&name=large

Roland Mckeown is a guy that I have interest in.  I’ve watched the guy play and don’t think he’s that bad.  I think he’s a guy that simply lost confidence since he was got buried behind a DEEP Carolina defense for so many years.  Colorado is a deep team as well. 

4 hours ago, ZH96 said:

Enough about Gadjovich for a minute. Do people not realize Alexander Volkov is up for grabs… A young decent framed winger that has a cup ring and upside. Anaheim traded a 2nd and B prospect for him only a year ago. And… he’d be Podkolzins Russian teammate. I’d claim him no hesitation and release Chiasson from his PTO. 

FOR NOW roll this.

N.Hoglander -El.Pettersson- B.Boeser

J.T. Miller -B.Horvat- V.Podkolzin

T.Pearson -Ja.Dickinson- C.Garland

P.Di Giuseppe -J.Dowling- A.Volkov

M.Highmore                      Z.MacEwen

O.Ekman-Larsson - T.Myers

Q.Hughes - T.Poolman

O.Juolevi - K.Burroughs

L.Schenn

T.Demko

J.Halak

LTIR

F Brandon Sutter

F Tyler Motte

W Micheal Ferland-RETIRED

IR

D Brady Keeper

AHL

{Italic players not on contract with Vancouver}

N.Petan -D.Klimovich- Ju.Bailey

J.Gadjovich -C.Focht- W.Lockwood

K.Plasek -S.Dries- S.Rempal

E.Keppen -J.Stevens- C.Wouters

V.Arseneau                   J.Lukosevicius

J.Rathbone - J.Woo

B.Hunt - M.Bowey

A.Sautner - G.Brisebois

D.Stephens - A.Kannok-Leipert

M.DiPietro

S.Martin

Yes I mentioned this earlier in the thread too. He would be an excellent pickup. He also is a decent penalty killer

• Like 1

5 hours ago, King Heffy said:

I'm blaming Green here, who likely had a lot of input.  Beyond furious right now; no one in their right mind looks at Petan and thinks he has any hope of being an NHLer.

Stupid decision.

Sometimes you try to develope a player you drafted and they just don't pan out. The thing with JG is that he was improving. So it would be a shame if we lost him at this point.  If a player plateaus that's different.  

21 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

I will be quite disappointed if we lose him on waivers...this team needs players with size, so hopefully he clears. I don't know if Gadj will ever get a fair shot with Green as the coach. Think MacEwen is gonna be on waivers soon to as he has been used little under Green.

Fingers crossed that tomorrow when I check Gadj has cleared waivers, but I could see a team put in a claim based on last AHL season's output and if they are a rebuilding team they can afford to have a fringe NHLer on the roster

I think he will be taken 

3 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

We snuck markstrom through.

Out of luck. 

Gadjovich needs to play on a to 3 line. He's a LW, isn't rated for playing both sides.

So, look around the NHL, at teams who are finalizing their rosters, and find one who is going to waive one of their current top 3 left wingers, to make room for a guy who has played exactly 5 minutes of regular season hockey. Not saying it's impossible, but guys don't get claimed coming out of training camp, anywhere near as often as fans seem to think that they do. It's much more common during the regular season when they have injuries and are looking for someone to plug.

Gadjovich will start in Abbotsford and will likely be our first call up when we need someone on the left side.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, VegasCanuck said:

Gadjovich needs to play on a to 3 line. He's a LW, isn't rated for playing both sides.

So, look around the NHL, at teams who are finalizing their rosters, and find one who is going to waive one of their current top 3 left wingers, to make room for a guy who has played exactly 5 minutes of regular season hockey. Not saying it's impossible, but guys don't get claimed coming out of training camp, anywhere near as often as fans seem to think that they do. It's much more common during the regular season when they have injuries and are looking for someone to plug.

Gadjovich will start in Abbotsford and will likely be our first call up when we need someone on the left side.

Let's hope. 

1 minute ago, erkayloomeh said:

Let's hope. 

Waiving him is REALLY low risk. Outside of people on this board, every GM in the NHL in Benning's position would be waiving him right now.

Look at Buffalo, there's not even anyone on that team who would be waived to make room for Gadjovich.

I really like him as a player, I think he has a lot of upside, but playing 5 or 6 minutes a night or being the 13th forward in Vancouver, isn't moving him closer to filling a regular role on our left side. 

• Vintage 1

I would love to hear an explanation stating why Gadj HAS to be top 9... There is nothing wrong with him being a 4th liner to start or even the 13th F in my opinion. Hopefully he clears and maybe coach Cull can get Gadj some PK time or something to help round his game out.

Stereotyping a young player to only being a top 9 or top 4D is just wrong imo. Players can adapt and change their game with time. Malhotra was a high pick but never lived up to the offensive output. He found himself a key role on the PK and faceoff circle with his determination. Gadj is NOT a C but he has shown improvement and that is ALL you can ask of a young guy trying to find his footing in the pros 

• Cheers 3

13 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

I would love to hear an explanation stating why Gadj HAS to be top 9... There is nothing wrong with him being a 4th liner to start or even the 13th F in my opinion. Hopefully he clears and maybe coach Cull can get Gadj some PK time or something to help round his game out.

Stereotyping a young player to only being a top 9 or top 4D is just wrong imo. Players can adapt and change their game with time. Malhotra was a high pick but never lived up to the offensive output. He found himself a key role on the PK and faceoff circle with his determination. Gadj is NOT a C but he has shown improvement and that is ALL you can ask of a young guy trying to find his footing in the pros 

This. Players are often groomed to play for position/need. Look at how Bo’s role has changed.
With the dedication shown this off-season in improving his skating, I imagine if coaching wanted to adapt Gadj’s game he’d be more than willing. 
Just sucks sometimes seeing walk-ons take a potential roster spot from an in-house talent.

Whatever makes this team closer to a contender though, I’m all for it. 

• Vintage 1

29 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

I would agree with you, but it's obvious Travis Green wants vets penalty killing.

The top-9 is set (Miller, Petterson, Boeser, Pearson, Horvat, Garland, Hoglander, Dickinson, and Podkolzin).

I think he's eyeing vets to make up spots 10-11-12-13, and I think that means: DiGiuseppe, Dowling, Petan, Chiasson.

I think we see MacEwan waived. I think Lockwood goes down.

Green said it himself at a recent press conference, he wants six PKers, well, I think that means:

DiGiuseppe-Dickinson (PK1)

Petan-Dowling (PK2)

Pearson/Horvat/Miller (PK3)

• Vintage 1

9 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

WTH JB????

I hope there is another story to this... Like he broke team rules ,etc...

What kind of message is this to the players about accountability and earning a spot?

At the end of the day, this could be another Frankie Corrado situation and we may not care much as our team has a lot of good things going on.

I mean Seattle even took Lind and used up an expansion pick on him...

Perhaps this means theres a really good 4c available currently.

Does this also mean Lockwood outplayed Gadj?

He gets to shine on another nhl team.  Unless they want the risk of losing him to the wire again.  If  he gets claimed he stays in the NHL.  So he probably wants to be claimed anyways