The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] 29 players - Oct. 06, 2021

Kole Lind and Jonah Gadjovich on waivers... it's as if it didn't matter who got claimed in the expansion team hahahaha.

Players of interest:

Aaron Dell won't be claimed by VAN, but could see him get claimed elsewhere. Jets could claim him if they aren't confident in Comrie as a backup.

Brennan Menell had 38 points in 47 KHL games last year. Former Vancouver Giant. RD. Could slot in as a depth piece if the Canucks want to send Rathbone down to the AHL.

German Rubtsov. I feel like he had a lot of hype the year of his draft. Has never put it together. He has intriguing size but not much else. Probably doesn't get claimed but I'm a little surprised he returned for another go in the NHL after a mediocre year in the KHL last season.

I don't really see anyone getting claimed. Lind maybe?!? Gadjovich maybe?!? But that feels like Canucks bias on both players. Gadjovich has very limited NHL exposure as does Kole Lind. Both could use another full year in the AHL before making a go at it in the NHL.

5 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Podz will be in bottom six and looking more and more like Lockwood, they weren't going 3 rookies in bottom six.  Someone needs to be 4th line centre looking like Dowling/Petan may hold down that role until Sutter comes.

I thought I heard Ian Mac during the intermission last night that it's looking more and more that Pods gets sent to Abby and then called up because he doesn't need to clear waivers and he could be a 20min+ per night player in all situations down there vs. a bottom 6 limited guy in Van? 

30 minutes ago, BCNate said:

I would absolutely make a claim on Roland McKeown.

Our current lines this morning and I would choose McKeown over Burroughs. He had Covid in September so just started to play in Colorado but would be a low risk acquisition.

Garland-Pettersson-Chiasson

Pearson-Horvat-Höglander

Petan-Miller-Podkolzin

Di Giuseppe-Dickinson-Dowling

Extras: MacEwen, Bailey

OEL-Myers

Hughes-Poolman

Rathbone-Schenn

Hunt-Burroughs

Demko Halak

Edited by laddie

2 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I thought I heard Ian Mac during the intermission last night that it's looking more and more that Pods gets sent to Abby and then called up because he doesn't need to clear waivers and he could be a 20min+ per night player in all situations down there vs. a bottom 6 limited guy in Van? 

To be honest, I thought VP was one of the better forwards last night. Involved, good passes, and responsible. I doubt he goes to Abby. I had never seen Focht play before last night either, not too bad a game from him as well.

3 minutes ago, laddie said:

Our current lines this morning and I would choose McKeown over Burroughs. He had Covid in September so just started to play in Colorado but would be a low risk acquisition.

Garland-Pettersson-Chiasson

Pearson-Horvat-Höglander

Petan-Miller-Podkolzin

Di Giuseppe-Dickinson-Dowling

Extras: MacEwen, Bailey

OEL-Myers

Hughes-Poolman

Rathbone-Schenn

Hunt-Burroughs

Demko Halak

Opening night roster preview, I don't mind this, though I would prefer Bailey when up to speed, over Chiasson, but that's just my opinion

35 minutes ago, Harvey Specter said:

Just being nitpicky at the moment - and peeved that Gadjo is on waivers - why did have to list him at the VERY top of the list. 

I hope we can sneak him through to the Abby Canucks but a tad difficult when he is starting the list of "available options" around the league. 

Lol, do you really think NHL GMs can't be bothered to read down to the bottom of the list. 

"I had no idea that guy was even available,  my eyes just glaze over after the first 3 or 4 names..."

• Haha 3

Just now, DownUndaCanuck said:

Chance to claim Lind and then potentially losing Gadj won't be so hard? Hopefully all other teams will pass on him as they try and cut their own rosters down

I doubt the Canucks claim Lind. He just adds another body to an already crowded field. Probably as good a day as any to try to sneak Gadj through.

I would not be surprised if this this means Lockwood is going to Abby, Chiasson is getting a contract, Highmore is safe, and Mac (for some inexplicable reason) has earned the 13th forward position. 

• Cheers 1

I wonder if JB is considering picking up Volkov?

He has good size, has shown some offensive ability, can PK pretty well, would be a nice Russian connection for Podz and could round out our top 9 nicely. With Boeser potentially out he could be worth a flyer. Also need to keep an eye out for a 4C on waivers (Seattle may be waiving one of Blackwell, Bastian).

Lineup without Boeser, Motte, Sutter could be:

Miller Pettersson Garland

Pearson Horvat Hoglander

Volkov Dickinson Podkolzin

Di Giuseppe (4C off waivers) Lockwood

(Highmore)

Lineup when healthy:

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Hoglander Horvat Garland

Pearson Sutter Motte (main shutdown line)

(4C off waivers as 13th F)

4 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

To be honest, I thought VP was one of the better forwards last night. Involved, good passes, and responsible. I doubt he goes to Abby. I had never seen Focht play before last night either, not too bad a game from him as well.

Admittedly, I didn't see all of the game - just bits/pieces in between doing other things.  I can see the value in Pods playing all situations 20min+/game in Abby and I can also see him playing the season in Vancouver and learning the game at that level albeit with a more limited role on a nightly basis.  Time will tell. 

1 minute ago, BigTramFan said:

I wonder if JB is considering picking up Volkov?

He has good size, has shown some offensive ability, can PK pretty well, would be a nice Russian connection for Podz and could round out our top 9 nicely. With Boeser potentially out he could be worth a flyer. Also need to keep an eye out for a 4C on waivers (Seattle may be waiving one of Blackwell, Bastian).

Lineup without Boeser, Motte, Sutter could be:

Miller Pettersson Garland

Pearson Horvat Hoglander

Di Giuseppe (4C off waivers) Lockwood

(Highmore)

Lineup when healthy:

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Hoglander Horvat Garland

Pearson Sutter Motte (main shutdown line)

(4C off waivers as 13th F)

Volkov might be worth a look.

The only certainties really with the forward group though are that EP and Boeser will be on the top line and Pearson will be with Horvat. Green has already showed he is not really willing to consider any other configurations there especially Horvat and Pearson. 

Zero chance Pearson ever plays on the 4th line on a Green team. Even if he scored 0 goals for 50 games he would still be in the top 6 and on the PP.

52 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

WTH JB????

I hope there is another story to this... Like he broke team rules ,etc...

What kind of message is this to the players about accountability and earning a spot?

At the end of the day, this could be another Frankie Corrado situation and we may not care much as our team has a lot of good things going on.

I mean Seattle even took Lind and used up an expansion pick on him...

Perhaps this means theres a really good 4c available currently.

Does this also mean Lockwood outplayed Gadj?

I mean let's be honest Lind was the only logical option for Seattle. Holtby wasn't on their consideration and I doubt Player Name was even in the discussion