The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Sharks claim Jonah Gadjovich off waivers

17 minutes ago, tas said:

they knew he WASN'T good enough. goals and points in preseason mean virtually nothing. it's all about systems play, the process and details. 

Green's process of 2nd period plays every year has me shaking my head.

Green is so freaking stubborn. No wonder why we end up having so many goddamn too many men penalties. Something he's doing is confusing the hell out of players.

4 minutes ago, laddie said:

Maybe do a little homework first before replying. Bailey is bigger, stronger, faster, scored more points in Utica and was a 2nd round draft pick. It’s okay for people to be upset at us losing a prospect but I disagree that he is NHL ready.

Someone else said that Bailey is tougher, and he's definitely NOT. Now you're saying that he's stronger? Gadjovich is built like a tank and there's a reason why guys can't move him from the front of the net. No way Bailey is stronger than Gadjovich.

Just now, Dazzle said:

Green's process of 2nd period plays every year has me shaking my head.

Green is so freaking stubborn. No wonder why we end up having so many goddamn too many men penalties. Something he's doing is confusing the hell out of players.

If the team stumbles out of the gate, I wonder if Shaw takes over? 

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Also Sutter and Motte arent back to start they year

That means it's not only DiGiuseppi (who I like) was the only guy to beat out Gadj

It was Di Giuseppi and 2 more guys + the 13th forward.

Was there really 3 more guys on top of Di Giuseppi that was better than Gadj?

WHo?

Only one I could think of is Lockwood.

Who wlese? because that means 2 more did.

Like what has Dries done better than Gadj for him to still be here?  I hate crapping on another Canuck and I'm singling him out when there are quite a few more of those guys left.  I just don't understand it.

I'll never understand keeping a guy like Lockwood (who I like but needs work), who is waiver exempt up, but send a Gadj down.  I'm a big JB supporter, but this isn't a great personnel move and we'll see if he makes the same blunder with OJ/Rathbone.  

• Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, Drop Em said:

Someone else said that Bailey is tougher, and he's definitely NOT. Now you're saying that he's stronger? Gadjovich is built like a tank and there's a reason why guys can't move him from the front of the net. No way Bailey is stronger than Gadjovich.

Ya I know the instinct is to suddenly minimize an outgoing player but cmon.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, VforVasili said:

It is disappointing for sure but we do (myself included) tend to overvalue our own prospects (see Kole Lind) and I will say that I am very happy to finally be a team having to shed good players instead of claiming everyone we can off the garbage wire. 

Agreed.

A few years ago, he would have been a lock.

Is Motte or Sutter close?

I'm thinking the spots left are for Di Giuseppi, Bailey and Lockwood and a temp 4c.

If SUtter comes back, 4C will get waived

If Motte comes back, one of DiGiuseppi, Bailey or Lockwood would get waived

Maybe they thought waiving Gadj early was the best chance to get him through

Clearly management woudl know more about the status of their own players

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Also Sutter and Motte arent back to start they year

That means it's not only DiGiuseppi (who I like) was the only guy to beat out Gadj

It was Di Giuseppi and 2 more guys + the 13th forward.

Was there really 3 more guys on top of Di Giuseppi that was better than Gadj?

WHo?

Only one I could think of is Lockwood.

Who wlese? because that means 2 more did.

Like what has Dries done better than Gadj for him to still be here?  I hate crapping on another Canuck and I'm singling him out when there are quite a few more of those guys left.  I just don't understand it.

Honestly I thought Dowling has outplayed him.  He, Lockwood, and Motte are all cut from the same cloth in gamestyles and I love that style.  I understand why they chose Petan because he plays centre, but I have not really been impressed by him.  I think Bailey will take over Petans spot which I would prefer.

25 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

So did I, at worst he could have been our spare guy over Mac. We don't have many, if any, other players of his ilk in the system. 

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

I feel like this all but ensures that JR is headed to Abby.  There's no way theyre taking the chance that OJ or Hunt get claimed.

You're probably right imo. They obviously like what they see in Rathbone, but he's easy to move down and moving him down won't actually hurt his game, he'll likely be a better player at next camp for it. And it's not as if he won't see a call up. 

I don't see them risking OJ, he's looked good, and the fact he's gotten so many preseason games is something I view as a positive. 

15 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Why didn they waive him after the 4-1 Cgy game then? He had less than 10 min in that game and scored a goal.  If they saw that regardless of goals, his systems play was not good, what's the point of holding on to him even to the point he was out on the ice today?

You might be right. Maybe he did have a poor game in the 4-1 loss to Cgy.  He did end with a +1 so he wasnt out for a goal against but maybe he was doing a lot of thigns wrong away from the puck.

I didnt PVR the game but someone should put together a shift by shift video to shut up the complainers like me.

I was at the game but unfortuantely wasn't really paying attention and coudl only see one end of the ice.

to TEACH him the systems play. 

13 minutes ago, mll said:

With Sutter and Motte absent, they hope he will learn how to kill penalties. He doesn't have the in-game experience but has apparently practiced it a lot.

So Green is "hoping" Di Giuseppe can learn how to kill penalties at 27 years of age and on his 4th NHL team?  That sounds pretty scary when you consider all that Benning has done over the summer to create a playoff team that can compete.  

1 minute ago, tas said:

to TEACH him the systems play. 

I'm not fishing here

Did you actually watch him critically in the 2 games that he played this year?

Was his systems play worse than all of the following Dries, Focht, Dowling, Petan, Lockwood, Chiasson, Highmore?

If so, then I would have to defer to what you saw (because i wasn't paying close attention)

I didn't notice anything glaring when I was watching that jumped out at me to say he's not ready.

For example, I really like JR, but there were some plays where I could see he wasn't ready

For me Gadj didn't really stick out at all except on the scoresheet in a positive way and what more could you want from a bottom 6 guy than that?

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So Green is "hoping" Di Giuseppe can learn how to kill penalties at 27 years of age and on his 4th NHL team?  That sounds pretty scary when you consider all that Benning has done over the summer to create a playoff team that can compete.  

Green has a very narrow view of young players being capable of learning how to PK. I am not surprised at all that a 27+ player would get more rope despite the same experience level on the PK as the 22 y/o.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, laddie said:

Maybe do a little homework first before replying. Bailey is bigger, stronger, faster, scored more points in Utica and was a 2nd round draft pick. It’s okay for people to be upset at us losing a prospect but I disagree that he is NHL ready.

Bailey is a 26 year old plug who can't make an NHL roster.  How do you know he is stronger than Gadjovich?  Have you seen them together in the weight room?  When was the last time Bailey had a fight?  Who cares if he can fly around the ice, when was the last time he scored a goal in the NHL?

Just now, CanucksJay said:

I'm not fishing here

Did you actually watch him critically in the 2 games that he played this year?

Was his systems play worse than all of the following Dries, Focht, Dowling, Petan, Lockwood, Chiasson, Highmore?

If so, then I would have to defer to what you saw (because i wasn't paying close attention)

I didn't notice anything glaring when I was watching that jumped out at me to say he's not ready.

For example, I really like JR, but there were some plays where I could see he wasn't ready

For me Gadj didn't really stick out at all except on the scoresheet in a positive way and what more could you want from a bottom 6 guy than that?

Dowling, Petan, Lockwood, Di Giuseppe, and Gadjovich were all (to varying degrees) better than the rest IMO.