The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Sharks claim Jonah Gadjovich off waivers

Just now, DeNiro said:

Cue Canucks fans saying he wasn’t that good and that we had no place for him.

Pathetic throw away of a promising young player.

Where does he fit in our current lineup? Getting an “A” for effort doesn’t guarantee you a job in the NHL. Sure he was faster than last year but certainly not faster than Bailey, Lockwood and Podkolzin. This is the best league in the world and positions just aren’t handed out no matter how much you like the player. He seems like an incredible person, hard worker and has some upside so I hope he carves out a career in the NHL but we have been waiting to be in this position where it is difficult to make the team. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Conscience said:

Green/ Benning must really love a bottom 6 filled with megna like plugs instead some toughness and and scoring. 

How many years has Benning had to draft and develop home grown bottom 6 players? How many does he have to show for it?

He just threw away two promising ones in one offseason.

Tell me again how good Benning is at drafting?

Just now, ba;;isticsports said:

"You know" when i here him talk like that i wish he'd say nothing instead, or at least prepare his speech better

Jim Benning is hands down the worst media interview in the NHL.

He is a very intelligent man but boy does he sound dumb and clueless in interviews. I guess it’s part of his prairie boy folksy charm to many.

To me he just sounds like he has no clue what is going on.

This Sux, imo they tried hiding him and had him planned on going to Abby. Even before camp, they sign his brother-in law as a Abby goalie(remember).

he did everything possible to make this team. His skating improved hugely. 

now i hope Bailey makes the team, hes big, tough and faster , but lacks the scoring puck luck skill the Gad has.

anywho i miss Gad, so this sucks. Its a sad day. The scoring puck luck skill Gad has is hard to find. He goes to the net , puck goes in, its no fluke. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

How many years has Benning had to draft and develop home grown bottom 6 players? How many does he have to show for it?

He just threw away two promising ones in one offseason.

Tell me again how good Benning is at drafting?

Drafting is nothing without development. The list of ultimately wasted picks is very long.

Just now, laddie said:

Where does he fit in our current lineup? Getting an “A” for effort doesn’t guarantee you a job in the NHL. Sure he was faster than last year but certainly not faster than Bailey, Lockwood and Podkolzin. This is the best league in the world and positions just aren’t handed out no matter how much you like the player. He seems like an incredible person, hard worker and has some upside so I hope he carves out a career in the NHL but we have been waiting to be in this position where it is difficult to make the team. 

Just stop. The Benning excuses have gotten so tired.

This guy has literally thrown away young talent before giving them a shot time and time again.

But go ahead and tell me how good Dowling, DiGiuessepe, and Petan are, and how our bottom 6 as just too good to crack. :picard:

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, mll said:
They tried to trade him.  Goal numbers aren't correct.  

Doesn't surprise me that they looked around first. I'm disappointed though, I was rooting for him. Maybe they'll waive him and we'll grab him back, he's no guarantee in San Jose.

6 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Wouldn't surprise me, but Drance is a weasel and I'm skeptical. 

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

Drafting is nothing without development. The list of ultimately wasted picks is very long.

And Gadjovich was developing exactly how they asked him to.

He fixed his skating in one offseason. The guy was willing to work hard on his flaws. Yet we literally gave Virtanen a leash a mile long when he didn’t work at all.

It’s clear Benning is in win now mode to save his job. I expect us to sacrifice much more young talent before he’s done.

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 2

San Jose was at the bottom of the standings last year so they were in the top 5 in picking first for any waiver claim.  Gadjovich only got passed by a few teams.  Several teams would have claimed him.

This is terrible asset management by Benning.  He must have been coerced by Green to do this.  

Where is @Dumb Nuck with his FIRE GREEN?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, laddie said:

Speed doesn't win you games. Goalscoring does. I like Lockwood and Podkolzin, but goalscoring should take precedence. I remember a number of years ago we had both Tuomo Ruutu and Jack Skille on PTOs during the preseason. Ruutu put up points, while Skille brought energy. We kept Skille. He didn't really do anything for us. When goalscoring in your bottom 6 is a problem and you have a player on your team that has shown the ability to score goals and put up points, you don't get rid of him because he's not as fast as some other player.

16 minutes ago, RWJC said:

For me, he was showing potential to eventually have some decent trade value. That’s I think bother me most about this…the asset management aspect. 

If there is no roster spot, that’s fine.

But given another year in the A (again, yes he has to clear) and if he maintained the same progression, he could have become an trade chip if we couldn’t use him. Instead, another piece disappears for nothing. To make room for a PTO. A PTO who very likely could be waived once Sutter or Motte return.

I hope I’m wrong but this seems like a wasted opportunity.

You can’t have it both ways. He can’t play in AHL without clearing waivers. There was no trade interest (see Kuzma’s tweet above). He’s not there yet to crack NHL roster. What other options are there? Based on the history in the league, Chiason at present is a better option as he can play in different spots up and down the lineup. It sucks to lose Gadj, but it’s the reality of the CBA rules.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Just stop. The Benning excuses have gotten so tired.

This guy has literally thrown away young talent before giving them a shot time and time again.

But go ahead and tell me how good Dowling, DiGiuessepe, and Petan are, and how our bottom 6 as just too good to crack. :picard:

Go ahead and throw Gadjovich on the Penalty kill then remind me why we have guys like Di Giuseppe on our team.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

43 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Whether he played in the NHL this year isn’t so much an issue. He would have been a fan fave in Abby and a team leader. Stupid move.

isn't that what they were trying to do?  To send him down, he has to go through waivers

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1