The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Philadelphia Flyers | Oct. 15, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

44 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

yeah... timeouts are not an advantage. do you forget the other team also gets to take a break as well?

Thing about that argument is that it suggests the other coach can get more out of his team than you can out of yours.   You don't use it because you think you will be out-coached

Edited by dm_ranger

6 minutes ago, Nurnge said:

is it just me or does Cory Hirsh talk too much while the play is going on ? thought at some point Shorthouse would say something . Other than that great to see  Pods get his first and Demko get his first win of the year . everybody played well looking forward to tomorrows game 

Not just you, I'm really not a big fan of Hirschey and I've tried really hard to like his colour commentary.  

He's also consistently wrong on some of his calls.  I don't know, hate to bad mouth a good guy but I just think they could do a lot better.  

13 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

People don't want to factor in he's being paid 5.25m. I think what he does on the ice is spot on, His production since joining us makes him actually worth even more then what hes paid. Unrealistic to think hes a 10m picture perfect player imo

I can't wait to see Miller sharpen his game...

• Vintage 1

58 minutes ago, cdgraham said:

For some perspective, Philly broadcast was super complimentary of the nucks the whole game. Especially in ot when we dominated. We got a good team let's be happy! 

Hated the guy's voice, so had it really quiet.  But, he did show some similar excitement when the Canucks had some good chances, so I too gotta give him some credit.

Just one more reminder how good it is to live on the west coast.  So many obnoxious voices/people over there.

8 minutes ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

These next few years are the really fun ones for us fans. It’s when a rebuilt core starts to gel and compete hard in the regular season and playoffs. We have a great starter goalie and capable backup, a complete top 6, a good/decent bottom 6 and a good top 4 D. As long as we stay healthy we’re going to be a team to watch every season for a potential run at lord Stanley.

We’re right there now with the talent on our roster, just need to have some years playing together to build chemistry between the lines to really threaten for the finals and the ultimate end goal of winning a cup.

Going to be a fun ride in the years ahead. Go Canucks Go!

michael-scott-wink.gif

16 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

jt miller was the first star of the night, and he is now tied for 4th in the league scoring race. where is all this hate coming from, jt miller is allowed to make bad plays from time and time again, because often enough he is just pull this team on his back and win it.

kinda like tonight where he had two first assists and a goal and the shootout winner.

true.  his 'weakness' that he's had this past year or so seems to be inside the offensive blue line on his left wing - just seems to fumble it, lose focus, or make bad passes a lot.  Not sure why, but that seems to be where he has been struggling to my eye.  Including tonight a few times.  But he sharpened up and does make up for it. 

I think he, and a lot of the players, really hated not playing for actual fans this past year.  Don't think you can underestimate that.  Not a lot of fun, and not a lot of point to it really. 

5 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

or it gives the team that has momentum a chance to build on that momentum, you cant have your cake and eat it too in this argument.

At least it affords a break. That’s what it  is intended for as a tool. Just like icing is at times. It stops the play for a particular purpose. Same reason why the game is played in periods. To afford for change in tempo, strategy, to recover stamina and to slowwwww the game down for some time so players and management can adapt to circumstance.
Timeouts are generally used in response to something that just happened (eg. Scored on and energy feels different afterwards), to ensure rest and instructions are understood in a key D zone faceoff, or to communicate a plan to control the O zone near the end of the game and potentially score.

I’m having a difficult time recalling any game I’ve seen where the the team that just scored and seems to have gained advantage, actually called a time out and effectively put the brakes (even temporarily) on their own momentum.

4 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Not just you, I'm really not a big fan of Hirschey and I've tried really hard to like his colour commentary.  

He's also consistently wrong on some of his calls.  I don't know, hate to bad mouth a good guy but I just think they could do a lot better.  

They didn't even call the set play for Miller properly because they were too busy chatting. 

They also missed the extra man penalty by Philly leading to the 5 on 3 goal becuase they were busy chatting.  I was watching the screen wondering how the Philly forward on the breakaway got off the ice so quickly for another play to play transitional defence and then heard the background screams coming from the Canucks bench. 

Hirsh after all of that said, no wonder they got a break way. 

No Hirsh. You missed it because you were too busy talking. 

They had the breakaway and then the extra man jumped on when the puck was transitioned out of Vancouver zone. 

Sheesh lol. 

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, SergioMomesso said:

JT Miller with one of his worst yet most productive games ever. 

:lol:

The enigma that is JT Miller

One minute a bone head play, maybe even leading to goal, then the next minute he's playing like an unleashed fighting dog. Going  to the net like a beast, and shooting like he's willing the puck into the  net.  I'd forgive him the first minutes for the last ones

I love his heart on the sleeve emotions. So sick the media's snap back if an athlete can't hold back their emotions. Unless its happiness, then media loves unscripted emotion.  Frustration invoked emotion is not allowed. Some players need that release more than others. So what.