The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Yakov Trenin and Philippe Myers for JT Miller

Philippe (unrelated to Tyler) Myers is a big 2nd/3rd pairing RD.  6'5 and very mobile for his size, he would fill out our d-core very nicely.  

Yak Trenin is a tough forward that can chuck 'em but also has lots of speed.  He seems to step up in the playoffs for Nashville. 

Although it would suck losing Miller, I don't like the way that his game is trending last year or this year.  Nashville has some young RDs and a copy cat of Trenin in Jeannot Tanner. JT Miller is the best player in this deal by quite a margin, but we do gain cap space at the end of the day to improve our team at the deadline and also in the summer provided that Trenin doesn't command a big raise as he's an RFA with arb rights. 

Sidenote: Trenin was a teammate of Conor Garland in the Q. 

Second sidenote: Podz gets a Russian teammate that plays the game the right way (4-5 years older) 

Flame away :ph34r:

Edited by VancouverHabitant

Poile says that they are looking to get younger and are entering what he calls a competitive rebuild / transition.  Targeting a younger Philippe Myers was part of it.  Miller seems too old and too close to UFA to be part of their strategy to get younger.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I like both players from Nashville.  The problem with trading Miller right now is that other than BO none of our other centres are really good at faceoffs.  Trenin doesn't really play centre so he'd be on left wing.  I like Miller as a 3C right now and move Dickinson to 4C and Lammikko to left wing.  

Myers is intriguing.  He is a good skater and is physical so I can see him partnering Hughes, which would bump either Poolman or Myers to the 3rd pairing.  

Ideally we need to get a really good 3C/4C who is a right hand shot, physical and can kill penalties and take faceoffs.  They are hard to find so we'd probably need to save Miller for a trade that included this type of player.

I'd do Miller for Scott Mayfield but the salaries don't match so the Islanders would have to throw in Leo Komarov and we'd have to retain salary to make it work.  The Islanders might go for it as Noah Dobson has taken over a top 4 role and Miller would help them for their cup run for the next 2 years.  Mayfield would immediately slot in as Hughes partner and on the 1st pairing PK.  Komarov is a UFA in the summer so we could use the extra cap space to acquire a right shot centre who can play as a 3C/4C.

4 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Make a run with this team, as it's(pretty much) composed. Then deal Miller at the '22 draft, at least recouping that 1st.

With our drafting-proficiency, 2 2nds & a prospect might even suffice.

2 seconds really isn't much different then 2 late firsts from a contender - at least that's what the draft historically has shown past around 23 with a 30ish team league.   GMs surely know this.   Sounds better getting a first .... but two seconds for sure is > then a late one, so yes that would be awesome.    Now a top ten or unprotected first is > then 2 seconds for sure.     I'm fine with either that or 2 seconds, it would mean we got better value then the first trade cost us (22 and a 3rd right in one or two drafts our choice?) ... trying to pick a team that is a bubble playoff one might be the best choice.    At some point we are going to need guys coming up to replace Horvat, Miller and BB...looks like Podz could be one of them,  but after that it's pretty thin.   Sucks because we need Miller too - id re- sign him for 7/8 years if the price point was reasonable, as in close to what he already gets, but we'd the cap to go up for that to work as well.   Could be our "Stastny" type ... Same as Horvat but he's for sure getting a nice bump in pay.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Top Sven Baercheese said:

Ah yes, let's trade our most productive Canucks in the past 3 years, who also is our most aggressive and versatile top 6 player because he did not get a point last game! 

It's just a future problem, not one yet but once him and Horvat are up it will become one.   You have to balance what he can do this year and next year for us and the post season - and leaving for nothing, and asset management.   Sure we can sign him for 8 years too, and the right contract for him is highly unlikely the right contact for the team but who knows.   With zero cap and deep pockets we wouldn't be talking about 90% of this stuff on the forum.   Reality is our pool is mostly emptied, and at some point we need start considering these sort of things for the future.   I doubt we trade him this year unless we just simply suck and it's time to re-set the rebuild like COL did around Mckinnon with Barrie and Duchene.  

Miller is the obvious target because he would provide the most bang back.   Wouldn't worry about it too much, i truly believe JB will just play him until he's done.   And that he will go back to the US. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

No. J.T. is not trending down, I expect he will put up a career high in points. That is worth his few blunders once in awhile.

He's just fine.  Super versatile, and a guy any team would love to have.    What would be great is we win some rounds with him, and he re-signs at a similar cap hit for 8 years.    Guys like him won't rest on their laurels with their legacy deals, too proud to do that.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, CaptKirk888 said:

No. J.T. is not trending down, I expect he will put up a career high in points. That is worth his few blunders once in awhile.

This! I’m not sure why people think his game is trending down. Is it because we have been using him on other lines? We need to balance scoring, and we have lots of options up front now.

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

This! I’m not sure why people think his game is trending down. Is it because we have been using him on other lines? We need to balance scoring, and we have lots of options up front now.

I think its because he makes more noticeable mistakes when playing C and trying to push things.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I think its because he makes more noticeable mistakes when playing C and trying to push things.

He's not natural at center, but he does a pretty good job filling in. If Sutter was in the lineup (don't think he will play this year), I really think he'd be playing wing.

• Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

He's not natural at center, but he does a pretty good job filling in. If Sutter was in the lineup (don't think he will play this year), I really think he'd be playing wing.

Of course he's going to get more points on the top line - but as far as both the eye test and the stats go - he's more then ok playing as a C.   It's a tougher position, he's good at face offs and with the puck overall.   He's better then Dickinson offensively and in the dot.   To me it makes a ton of sense to play him with Podz and roll three lines 5 x 5.   Very hard to defend against - just ask Vegas and TB.     Green finally had the troops to ice three scoring lines, and not shelter his hodge podge of tweeners with AG as the C.     ?! Miller Podz would make a very good third line.   Personally i'm stoked Boeser is playing tonight, and Miller is wearing the bottom six white because i've been waiting for it since the OEL trade.   

Edit:  The moment Sutter is back i expect him to either take over the 3rd line C - or even better center a 4th line with Dickinson - that's our shut down line, especially once Motte is back.    I am going on record now, saying with a healthy lineup and sound a little like a broken record, that we have the guns for three scoring lines now, even 5 x 5 minutes from top to bottom almost.   It IS our team strength, and I for one can't wait to see what it can do.    Bet we could play .675-.750 once they gel.   And that's how you keep your guys fresh for the playoffs too.   

Edit: Neither is EP really.   Not in the SHL at least.   Miller and EP both played center a lot early on though, prior to the bigs. 

Edited by IBatch

I think we can do a little better for Miller. I'd prefer a 1 for 1 swap for a really legit top 4 RHD. Pieces like Miller aren't available for trade too often.

I do agree that he should be moved by next offseason though. He's starting to hit the age where forwards typically start trending downwards, and he'll be looking for a retirement contract. Best to use him to address a need imo.

13 hours ago, Top Sven Baercheese said:

Ah yes, let's trade our most productive Canucks in the past 3 years, who also is our most aggressive and versatile top 6 player because he did not get a point last game! 

No, I'm basing this on the entire 2020-21 season and the beginning of this year.  

I was willing to write off last season due to all the extenuating circumstances and attribute it all to covid isolation hitting Miller harder then other players mentally.  

I'm worried because I'm seeing the same demeanour on the ice from JT.  I get that he wants to be a scorer and he's getting his points, but he's losing his matchups and sulking out there.  His deflated play is not very inspiring for his teammates.  

I think our team chemistry would improve and that would be worth more then any single player out there. 

On 10/19/2021 at 9:09 PM, VancouverHabitant said:

No, I'm basing this on the entire 2020-21 season and the beginning of this year.  

I was willing to write off last season due to all the extenuating circumstances and attribute it all to covid isolation hitting Miller harder then other players mentally.  

I'm worried because I'm seeing the same demeanour on the ice from JT.  I get that he wants to be a scorer and he's getting his points, but he's losing his matchups and sulking out there.  His deflated play is not very inspiring for his teammates.  

I think our team chemistry would improve and that would be worth more then any single player out there. 

How would the team chemistry improve? Remember how it was Miller last year who called out the NHL on behalf of the Canucks for being overworked after almost the entire team having covid? If that's not the biggest form of team chemistry out there I don't know what is.

So if you're going to tell me that 2 new players are going to have more chemistry than what's arguably probably now one of the most integrated players on the Canucks in terms of chemistry.... sorry, but I'm going to 100% disagree there.

So I'll leave things at the question I initially asked: how exactly would the team chemistry improve? I'd like to know how you came to this conclusion.

Edited by The Lock