Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Next game

EP-Horvat-Garland

Hoglander-Miller-Boeser

Pearson-Dickinson-Podkolzin

Highmore-Dowling-Lammikko

Big takeaway from tonight’s game is that Bo can produce.

He’s the best centre on this team.

• Cheers 1

@PistolPete13 @VancouverHabitant find a post where i said he's worth 10-11mil than we talk. i said he's worth 9 long term and i still stand by that. so 6 games into a season he's a bust? well might as well call Makar and everyone else that's struggling couple games into the season a bust. oh and there's also 5 players on pace to break gretzky's single season record after 5 games. Garland is also on pace to shatter Henrik sedin's point record for the canucks so should we call start calling him the greatest canucks ever and start planning to retire his number?

• Haha 1

I really hope Pettersson finds his game, I don’t want him to become the whipping boy. But after holding out, his comments to the media, and then this terrible start to the year I think he will be.

He’s making the big bucks now, better start earning it.

Edited by Petey40
  • Upvote 1

Be patient with Petey, I agree with whoever on the panel who pointed out that he's played about 40 games in the past two years, and missing most of last season and the preseason has set him back. He looks a little tentative, but I saw a couple of flashes of the old Petey hockey sense tonight, not enough, but some. It's probably going to take about 20 games to get him somewhere back to normal. Also don't forget that Brock missed most of the preseason, so the Lotto Line looking like garbage is not a surprise. They will get it together, but it's a work in progress. Thankfully the team has much better secondary scoring and can weather the storm.

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

Not sure why you need to always discredit Bo. He was great this game, and far from needing to be s*** on 

I give Bo every praise in the world when he plays to how he should. After game one I was raving about his play. 

The guy could be a first line center if he wanted but he doesn't bring the compete as often as he should. Before Petey came Bo was an unbelievably good player, but just super snake bitten. I just expect him to out in those efforts again, just like I expect Miller to put in the effort of his first season here too. If these guys brought their top games consistently this team would be a playoff contender but they don't bring their motor for most of the games they play despite having the ability to do so. 

I don't discredit Bo, I expect more out of him because he can be phenomenal. See: game 1.

Just now, MikeyD said:

I give Bo every praise in the world when he plays to how he should. After game one I was raving about his play. 

The guy could be a first line center if he wanted but he doesn't bring the compete as often as he should. Before Petey came Bo was an unbelievably good player, but just super snake bitten. I just expect him to out in those efforts again, just like I expect Miller to put in the effort of his first season here too. If these guys brought their top games consistently this team would be a playoff contender but they don't bring their motor for most of the games they play despite having the ability to do so. 

I don't discredit Bo, I expect more out of him because he can be phenomenal. See: game 1.

Your post says otherwise, no reason to complain or discredit him tonight 2 timely goals is a great appearance by our leader 

Great, intense game all around. Few takeaways from the game:

Seattle were pumped but they're not very good, they really lack some high level offensive talent. Great defensive squad though.

Our top line were pathetic again, I thought Miller and Boeser were alright but Pettersson needs to get his stuff together. I don't think he's going to be the 80-100 pt player everyone expects him to be but right now I'd be happy with 60 points and he's just invisible right now. Needs to simplify his game and work harder.

Our "2nd line" is really humming nicely, Garland gives that trio speed they lacked previously, he's basically a more skilled Hoglander and it shows. Pearson deserves his spot, he does so many little things right for that line to create space for the other two and Horvat's shot really came through big tonight. Garland is going to be this team's MVP, he just about single-handedly won the game tonight with some great nifty plays and was ahead of the play all over the ice. This is what you see with the great players like McDavid and Kane etc., they always look like they're 5 steps ahead of the play, and Garland looked like that tonight. He's got 8 points in 6 games and all of them are big points (apart from the EN goal) which have contributed to or decided games. Cannot say enough about how well he's started, basically boosting his line to 1st line status.

I thought our 3rd line were alright, grinded hard but caught out on that bad 1st goal against after getting hemmed in. Like the work ethic of Dickinson and Dowling. Lammikko looked alright too, our bottom 6 really lack size or offensive talent right now and it's sad to see Hoglander wasted there but they all play hard despite their size, forecheck well at times and are usually on the right side of the puck defensively.

On defence, I think our top 4 is rounding out really nicely. OEL had a big game, got away some great shots and chances, Poolman played well and looked much crisper. We have a real problem with our bottom pairing, there's a massive drop off there, and teams know it. They were victimised big time and weren't even on the ice much. We need a solution, can't have 2 of our 3 worst defensive defencemen on together. Hamonic really would have solved this problem but I wonder if it's worth either trying some other combos or JB is going to have his hand forced because Burroughs was average and Rathbone average at best. Honestly, Juolevi would have been better than these two, IMO we gave up on him far too soon.

Can't say enough about Demko obviously, Seattle should have scored 2 or 3 more but he really kept us in the game.

On the whole, good game, solid road trip to go 3-2-1 but we played some very weak teams (and lost to them), so will be interesting to see how we perform at home now.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

A few small moments I noticed:

Highmore getting knocked down on the PK. He was swimming on the ice and this led to a defensive breakdown and they scored after the chaos in our end. I think we can do better than Highmore on the PK. 

Dowling and Bone getting rocked with big hits. Bone can go be Huggy in Abby. We need a more physical D to play sub 10 minutes a night. Dowling is a meh forward and we have enough medium sized 3rd line forwards, free the Podz. 

Petie should have been on for the ENer. To help get him going. 

We did better on face-offs. Whatever adjustments we did, keep doing that. 

• Vintage 2

14 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

People giving Bo way too much credit this game. He showed up when it mattered and that's about the only time you saw him. Nice first goal, a gift wrapped second goal. The hard work is clearly being done by guys like Garland, Hoglander, Hughes, Poolman, OEL and Demko. 

We have some guys who are very capable of scoring but not capable of driving the bus and I think that's what is gonna hurt this team in the long run. Guys like Garland is who every GM should be looking to acquire. Hyman is doing the same thing in Edmonton right now and that's a great pickup as well. 

I still want to see Hoglander and Garland play more together but the other lines have way too many passengers. Dickinson deserves more ice time. 

Demko stole one tonight. Shades of Markstrom. 

Just so many guys not willing to move their skates when it matters. 

God the coaching sucks hahaha

Cant really disagree with any of this.

Funny how everyone driving the bus is either a young player or a new player to the team. That says a ton.

Horvat has been Pearson-ized. Has a couple of good shifts then is unnoticeable for several. I love Horvat but he has lost some of what made him captain material IMO. Too much like a Sedin in the leadership department. Garland is driving that line, not Horvat or Pearson. Hoglander is driving his line, not guys like Highmore.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Vintage 1

44 minutes ago, CanuckleHorse said:

I love how they look down a goal just kept attacking till they tied it that’s the new Canucks they out worked the other guys tonight.

Today as they say wasn't a masterpiece but you are exactly right. Thought they were fine in the first and were doing a good job until the last 2 minutes getting the puck out, the 2nd and half of the 3rd it was pretty frigging obvious they were tired, 6 games across the 3 time zones to start the season can't blame them, thats a long grind to start the season.

What really impressed me was once they tied it they kept grinding and after they took the lead they shut it down.

Feels good to see all of our top 4 even or plus players, not that it's super important but it gets used a lot to crap on Quinn so seeing him leading the team in TOI and being a plus 1 compared to minus 10 that he was after six games last season while still being the catalyst offensively is a great sign.

I think the best thing for Petey is to keep the lotto line together, both him and Brock are still behind game shape wise but we know they have good chemistry and with two days of practice before the home opener I think they will have their timing .

Thought the 3rd line looked good for the 2nd straight game which makes it hard to get podz back in anything but the 4th line and I know they want Dowling and Lamiko? For killing penalties and Chiasson on both pk and pp but that line wasn't all that great and Podz has shown he's quite capable in a shutdown role. Does anyone know if he's been on the property at all here? If memory serves he was in the KHL and WJC

Finally what a great game for Demko, his 1st season I always got nervous on point shots but he has really improved on that and when he's on the only goals that seem to beat him are pucks that go in or tipped by a defender

That goal by Dunn was one that most goalies aren't stopping. His side to side and his ability to track his rebounds is beautiful to watch.

It is also uncanny how he so often makes the big save.

Sorry to ramble guys I know I'm not sharing a secret but the guy just blows me away.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Your post says otherwise, no reason to complain or discredit him tonight 2 timely goals is a great appearance by our leader 

Literally lose the game if Bo isn’t there to put the puck in the net. Amazing 

• Cheers 1