The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers | Oct. 30th, 2021, 7:00 PM Pacific | CBC | 2021 Halloween Edition

Rate this topic

Roberts

Oilers @ Canucks  

189 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

38 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

The problem is coaches have to learn from the disappointing stretches too and unfortunately ours have had a lot of disappointing stretches to work with and still have made no adjustments to their systems or strategies or player deployment decisions. 

This straw man that people are unnecessarily freaking out over a few games at the start of a season is just designed to absolve coaching of any blame. People are justifiably freaking out that Green has learned very little in the past 5 years.

I guess if you can see that through your tv set than that's unfortunate. I would think most people should learn a great deal after 5 years at any job. I would imagine he feels quite different. Well I feel for you guys. That's a real crappy outlook to force on oneself so early into the season. It's not even November and the season is over. That's like baseball when it's June and you're 9-30 and you're done and you got 123 games of useless baseball ... BASEBALL to watch! :lol:

13 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Wish we would try something like:

EP-Horvat-Garland (If EP can’t raise his compete on this line check his pulse)

Hoglander-Miller-Boeser

Pearson-Dickinson-Podkolzin

Bailey-Lammikko-Not Chiasson

Could reasonably roll 4 lines 5 on 5 and create two good PP units without messing the lines up too much. 

1st Unit

Horvat-Garland-Boeser-Hughes-OEL

2nd Unit

EP-Miller-Hoglander-Podkolzin-Rathbone

I mean, why the &^@# not at this point?

I actually quite like those lines, very creative.  I think Hoglander might be that kind of player that can just about fit on any line, which makes this feasible.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

13 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Wish we would try something like:

EP-Horvat-Garland (If EP can’t raise his compete on this line check his pulse)

Hoglander-Miller-Boeser

Pearson-Dickinson-Podkolzin

Bailey-Lammikko-Not Chiasson

Could reasonably roll 4 lines 5 on 5 and create two good PP units without messing the lines up too much. 

1st Unit

Horvat-Garland-Boeser-Hughes-OEL

2nd Unit

EP-Miller-Hoglander-Podkolzin-Rathbone

I mean, why the &^@# not at this point?

I actually quite like those lines, very creative.  Worth a try.  I think Hoglander might be that kind of player that can just about fit on any line, which makes this feasible.

50 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Or they could fire him now and not waste another year thinking the smoke and mirrors of goaltending, loser points, and league parity means they are playing good enough under this coaching staff to get to the playoffs where anything can happen. 

So who is the replacement (to take us to the promised) by the way?

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

It's honestly like some people have never watched an NHL season of hockey before. Most teams don't have great starts to the season. Most teams "struggle" to carve out their identity in the first 20 games of the season. There are lots of ups and downs. What about the AVS, Bruins, Stars, Leafs, Isles, Knights, and Pens? Are their seasons all but over too?

A big part of hockey is learning from the disappointing stretches and getting better. That's why there are 82 games and smart hockey people don't just throw in the towel after a disappointing result or two. Especially when you're within a point of a playoff spot with a possible 128 points still on the table. :picard:

The team is not 0-8, they're playing .500 hockey. They haven't been blown out except one crappy game. They haven't been world beaters but they've played decent hockey in stretches, and poor in others. There have been bright spots like Garland, OEL, Burroughs, Demko, Halak, and Poolman. Hoglander and Bo have played well. Miller remains productive. Overall our defence has improved. Podkolzin is playing and getting experience.

Talk about jumping the gun and just being overly critical. There are 10 new players on the team. How about give the team a chance to gel a bit?

I think we’re good if we keep a .500 pace even into the 20 game mark this season. After that if we don’t start building up wins I’m gonna start getting upset lol. I’ve been a nuck fan too long to just give up. The boys have pride and lots to play for. I think tonight we get a hard fought W

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I guess if you can see that through your tv set than that's unfortunate. I would think most people should learn a great deal after 5 years at any job. I would imagine he feels quite different. Well I feel for you guys. That's a real crappy outlook to force on oneself so early into the season. It's not even November and the season is over. That's like baseball when it's June and you're 9-30 and you're done and you got 123 games of useless baseball ... BASEBALL to watch! :lol:

I don’t want to get into semantics but I do agree that Green isn’t performing as expected. He loves his fast paced high event hockey. It won him a WHL championship, he carried that philosophy to Utica, it worked with various success. He rode markstrom all the way to the Calder cup finals. It was evident then he rode a hot goalie, like any smart coach would, but beyond that the further his team got into the playoffs the more outmatched they become. Just like he rode Demko in the bubble…remember all that collapsing in front of the net? It was the same during his Calder cup run with Marky too… Fast forward to now, I see the same tactics, the same methods, and the same reactions. I just don’t see a couch willing to adapt and learn. I see someone who believes too firmly that what they are doing is the only way to win…but it’s not working, and hasn’t worked since he come into the NHL. He is an average coach on an average team with an average winning record. Those are the facts as they stand right now.

I have had a lot of patience for Green and watched him for a long time, even as a player before that, and I still want to see him succeed with the Canucks, but I can’t help but feeling he is losing the room game after game already this year. I really hope I’m wrong. I’m not writing anyone off yet this season. But where there is smoke there is fire my friend. I think we can all agree on that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, -DLC- said:

It's sad that these sell out players aren't standing up for their "brother"/teammate.  That their selfish stance is to protect their job rather than protect another human being.  Waste of space.

People slam our team for being soft but the character players we've had on board are important beyond the standings.  Sedins make me proud.  Sopel, as a former Canuck and one of the ONLY ones who stood beside Beach.  The culture in Chicago was seriously lacking in morals and ethics.  Beating up cab drivers was only scratching the surface it seems.  I'm back to really hating the Blackhawks...I take back what I said earlier.

Professional athletes with a sense of entitlement aren't limited to the Blackhawks...Matthews and how he treated the security guard.  We even have some of our own.  The NHL has some work to do and isn't all that they think they are...putting out statements only goes so far.  It's important that players with huge character flaws aren't able to just slide through unchecked.  

Totally absolutely 100% agree with you Deb.

Going to play devil’s advocate here for a sec with regard to characteristics, not the sexual abuse side or the lack of courage and integrity…

Hate to say it, but a lot of the successful teams have had a dominant role player with attitude, swagger, ego, a$$hole mentality, who have been major contributors to their franchise’s success. I’m not saying I’m fond of it or respect it all, but when I think of Kane/Keith, Marchand, Kucherov, it’s those types of pricks who really push their teams forward with a winner take all type attitude. Seems like that ends up being what lends most to their team’s “identity”.

We have lacked that since Kesler/Burrows.

We now have Garland and I hope he is supported to play up and into that role. Best thing about him is that he appears to be a character guy who can play the baddie/antagonist. We’re fortunate for that.  That said, I truly hope Green understands that value and caters to it rather than suppress it (especially with delegating down and limiting minutes).

From what we’ve seen so far in only a handful of games is that this team is willing to stand up for and protect each other. And the way Garland played off the hop was giving this team extra jump. 

I hope that style is allowed to continue under Green because imho we desperately need players like ALE (angry little elf) who play hard but with character. Unlike gutless pukes like Matty Upchuck.

I raise my ale for… image.gif.7da1ff4f18482859ea4520b4fec3bf5b.gif

MORRRRRE ALE!

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

So who is the replacement (to take us to the promised) by the way?

There are a lot of qualified coaches out there that would be a better solution. 

The tendency by Green supporters to turtle in the fetal position crying about how much worse it will be with literally anyone else coaching is laughable.

You don’t think a guy like Bruce Boudreau would get more out of this group? Or even Dan Bylsma?

Brad Shaw would be a fine interim coach until a proper search could be done. Hell, he might even show he is the long term answer.

3 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

There are a lot of qualified coaches out there that would be a better solution. 

The tendency by Green supporters to turtle in the fetal position crying about how much worse it will be with literally anyone else coaching is laughable.

You don’t think a guy like Bruce Boudreau would get more out of this group? Or even Dan Bylsma?

Brad Shaw would be a fine interim coach until a proper search could be done. Hell, he might even show he is the long term answer.

I'd be ok with Shaw if he also gets rid of Baumer and hires qualified assistants.

6 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

This seems like a far more reasonable attitude. The GM just traded a 9th overall to jettison 3 anchor contracts while seriously upgrading our defence, upgrading our top 6, and revamping our bottom 6. Wouldn't it make far more sense to let the coach work with all of that for a fair stretch before blowing it all up like some hare-brained ninny?

If the team still looks disjointed and is struggling mightily at the 20/25 game mark then for sure looking at possibly hiring a new coach is warranted. We are supposed to be entering a realm of serious compatibility. Otherwise this is akin to giving up on the players in addition to the coach, so early into the season.

I think we could all just take a breathe and remember we are 8 games into the new season, one in which a new coach was brought in to help organize the team's defense which we all know will require a learning curve of getting new system habit down and fine tuned. I would not have any idea how long that should take but giving some patience in that regard is not the worst idea.

Coach Green, well he was able to squeeze his players the right way when finding success in the Playoff bubble so I don't doubt he can coach this team in a successful era which we should be coming upon this season. Whether he learns and develops as an NHL coach parallel to the club moving forward into a new " contending " phase is unknown, benefit of the doubt is I would see no reason why not.

I don't think ownership is keen on straying from where JB and Green are at this time however, for the haters I would assume next season Green would be gone if a major disappointment this season occurs, I see the team getting into the Playoffs however. Maybe if early exit this, maybe next year then the team looks to an AV, Boudreau etc type to push the team over the hump.

But I don't see how any scenario unfolds while Green is under contract where he is fired to be honest, most likely just not renewed if the team needs to go in another direction.

8 games, only 8 games into the season haha

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1