The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] New York Rangers at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 02, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

13 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Maybe true, but that’s why I say rotate him in and out. He has such valuable experience as a reliable defensive dman and it’s consistent play that is going to get this team out of their rut. If you can count on your D to be in position to CYA, it might just make things a little easier for the F group to open up play.

Experiment with it. It can’t hurt.

I like Burroughs but perhaps there’s more team trust in guys like Hamonic and Schenn to help defend the play on the back end right now. 

Big Luke is slow though, haha

The staff can rotate the pairing guys in depending on the opponent..

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

100%!  We are winning 5 on 5.  Once we start playing the PP and PK game evens, we will go on some long winning streaks. 

I dunno if we are winning 5 on 5 in terms of scoring chances or expected goals for but Demko is also a part of the team. 

What I do know is that you are absolutely correct. 

An improvement in special teams will make a significant improvement to our results. 

• Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I wonder how difficult it would be for Schenn to switch hands and start shooting left?  They do it in baseball. -_-

LOL.... I like that suggestion but he's no spring chicken now... by the time he's comfortable with the switch, he's already too slow even for the AHL!!

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

100%!  We are winning 5 on 5.  Once we start playing the PP and PK game evens, we will go on some long winning streaks. 

Hmmmm

If we are winning 5v5 maybe Green isn't the problem then?

Maybe it is Shaw making him look bad to get his job?:rolleyes:

Since Assistant coaches provide an important role for the head coach and are usually focused on one part of the team, such as defence and special teams as well as defensive pairings etc maybe it is his assistants failing?

Since he is the Head Coach, and director, if he sees that, he should remove them or get involved with players at issue?

8 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Hamonic is kind of the reason I'd thought we'd win. Way more physical than Rathbone. Eased the fire alarms in our end. 

100 percent. Not like he's the second coming of Lindstrom or anything. It's how he perfectly rounds out our right side D. It's the perfect fit and it slots everyone just right and provides better options for pairings once he's up to speed. 

2 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

That says more about Petey than Chiasson. 

No one can argue against Chiasson handling the puck like a hot potato. A lot more plays and possessions die on his stick than any other on the team this far. 

Our PP hasn’t been too good with him either. 

Garland would do much better on PP1 and he hasn’t been tried yet. Horvat or Miller are big boys and can be around the net. 

chiasson isn't the issue on the PP.  He's doing exactly what they need him to do.  The issue is the three players passing the ouck between themselves and not utilizing other players on the ice.

A win!!! 
The Rangers were up 2 going into the 3rd but the Canucks were outplaying them. The win was deserved. 
Credit: the overall d-core effort. Hughe’s game is much stronger than last year and continues to improve. Schenn played a steady game. 
Conner Garland was noticeable almost every shift. He deserved PP1. Both PP groups were generating chances. 
Miller: 2 goals can’t criticize that. 
Podz: glad he got a goal. Happy he got 3rd period shifts. More TOI please. 

My hilite was the distribution of TOI. More balanced except for Podz. Game specifics can determine TOI but as a rule I prefer balance to allow players to develop a team approach and identity. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 3

34 minutes ago, gurn said:

4 wins-5 losses 1 loser point

Regulation wins against Chicago, currently a 1-7-2 team and the Kraken a 3-6-1 team

A shoot out win against  Philly, currently a 5-2-1 team

An OT win against Rangers, a 6-2-1 team

Shoot out loss to Oilers, currently a 7-1-0 team

Under the old standing's format we would be a 2 wins, 5 losses and  3 ties

Thatcher "The Reel Deal" Demko is a hella fine goalie.

Podz deserves more ice time; practice the kid up for some power play time.

Petey, is slowly coming out of his slumber, wish it was going quicker.

Garland should play with whoever he wants to.

Nice to have Hamonic back, if you look at our record over the two years with him, we are substantially better with him playing.

We'd still have 3 wins, because overtime was 5 on 5 not 3 on 3. 

So technically 3 wins in Chicago Seattle, and against NYR. the 2 shootouts Philly and Oilers would 2 ties and then 5 losses in regulation. 

Edited by DS4quality

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

chiasson isn't the issue on the PP.  He's doing exactly what they need him to do.  The issue is the three players passing the ouck between themselves and not utilizing other players on the ice.

I was more impressed with the 2nd PP out their and was hoping they would have started the last 2 pp (plus also send a message to pp1)

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

Do you think we are a playoff team on paper? The biggest question marks heading into the season was whether OEL would regain form and whether Poolman can play 4D/5D. People said the play of our defence dictated playoff chances. 

Both were a resounding success. OEL looks like a premier 1D and Poolman has been solid. So then if the question marks were actually homerun, the team can be said to be underachieving correct? 

This is what the lines should be

Miller Petterson Garland

Boeser Horvat Hogz

Pearson Dickinson Podz

Bailey Lammikko Chiasson/Motte 

OEL Myers 

Hughes Hamonic

Rathbone/Schenn Poolman

Demko

This should without a doubt be a team better than their current record. 

I blame the record on an ineffective camp, wrong player selections, wrong player deployment and an ineffective strategy. 

I'm honestly curious, do you not think this is a playoff team? 

To me our playoffs chances hinge entirely on our special teams.  If they don't improve significantly, I can't see us being much more than a 10-12 place team.