The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are we witnessing the greatest assembly of incompatible Canucks players in team history?

Rate this topic

RU SERIOUS

With yet another loss in a never ending cycle of failure & disjointed play on the ice - following a nearly complete new cast of players brought in over the past couple of years (including 11 new players this year alone - which was expected to turn the team around),   is it possible that we are witnessing the greatest assembly of incompatable players ever put together in team history?  

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Wat 3
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • RoughGame 3

2 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

No man, we had a team with Bure, Mogilny, Messier, Naslund and Linden that finished 7th out of 7 teams in the division.

Also traded away the starting goalie at least twice that season.  Had four different starting goalies over the course of the year.  Three of those starting goalies played in multiple NHL all star games and the team was still atrocious.

Ahhh.   The biggest what if all-time.   IF Messier came, changed his number out of respect for Maki,  fell in behind Linden and used his "leadership" to add value to the team as a second line center...we could of iced two incredible lines.    And won some cups...all the players were in their primes..and maybe we could of got a couple 40/40 seasons out of Messier, kind of had that Howe vibe at the time.   Like Ovi does now same age.   Check out the previous two Messier seasons, and those were dead puck era ones too. 

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

No man, we had a team with Bure, Mogilny, Messier, Naslund and Linden that finished 7th out of 7 teams in the division.

Also traded away the starting goalie at least twice that season.  Had four different starting goalies over the course of the year.  Three of those starting goalies played in multiple NHL all star games and the team was still atrocious.

Glad I wasn't around to see that

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

Glad I wasn't around to see that

I'm glad for you.  It was unbearable.  There have never been worse times to follow the team and I am pretty confident there never will be.

We had to watch as every decorated old soldier - Linden, Babych, McLean, Odjick, etc. - was basically taken behind the woodshed and shot.

It was nothing at all like the "glass half full" mutual departures like Edler or Burrows.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 2

24 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Ahhh.   The biggest what if all-time.   IF Messier came, changed his number out of respect for Maki,  fell in behind Linden and used his "leadership" to add value to the team as a second line center...we could of iced two incredible lines.    And won some cups...all the players were in their primes..and maybe we could of got a couple 40/40 seasons out of Messier, kind of had that Howe vibe at the time.   Like Ovi does now same age.   Check out the previous two Messier seasons, and those were dead puck era ones too. 

It was ridiculous.  Gretzky went to LA and wore the "A" behind Dave Taylor.  He didn't even need a letter at all on the Rangers.

And who is the guy with the leadership award named after him...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Ahhh.   The biggest what if all-time.   IF Messier came, changed his number out of respect for Maki,  fell in behind Linden and used his "leadership" to add value to the team as a second line center...we could of have iced two incredible lines.    And won some cups...all the players were in their primes..and maybe we could of have got a couple 40/40 seasons out of Messier, kind of had that Howe vibe at the time.   Like Ovi does now same age.   Check out the previous two Messier seasons, and those were dead puck era ones too. 

If you are going to whine, at least do it properly. :bigblush:

I'm just busting your balls. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I’m just surprised I haven’t yet seen headline about Green being fired. That to me is the quick fix that we need to at least try right now. Green’s expiry date has come and gone. He’s more of a smelly brown at this point.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

While true, that era was just less than 5 years removed from a game 7 Stanley Cup Finals.  We have a couple playoff win rounds as a result of 'backing into the playoffs because of a shortened seasons' as our zenith.  As well, there was no cap then & we didn't have owners that didn't have the same access to funds as our current ownership.  That and I think they had dropped a ton of $$$$$ on the Vancouver Grizzlies.  Seemed like we always had one of Bure or Mogilny injured for most of the season during their time here.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

4 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

While true, that era was just less than 5 years removed from a game 7 Stanley Cup Finals.  We have a couple playoff win rounds as a result of 'backing into the playoffs because of a shortened seasons' as our zenith.  As well, there was no cap then & we didn't have owners that didn't have the same access to funds as our current ownership.  That and I think they had dropped a ton of $$$$$ on the Vancouver Grizzlies.  Seemed like we always had one of Bure or Mogilny injured for most of the season during their time here.

Most of that just makes the on ice performance and off ice dismantling all the more unforgivable.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Most of that just makes the on ice performance and off ice dismantling all the more unforgivable.

I won't say that person's name, let's just call him the guy that stole the #11 :lol:, being added to the mix didn't help.  Was like adding a lit match & throwing it into a pile of gasoline.

Thing is, a cap & having ownership more than willing to spend money should put a floor on how bad a team can be.  It doesn't guarantee success but as long as you don't have a Mike Milbury & Charles Wang combo, you should avoid an Islanders situation.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I won't say that person's name, let's just call him the guy that stole the #11 :lol:, being added to the mix didn't help.  Was like adding a lit match & throwing it into a pile of gasoline.

Thing is, a cap & having ownership more than willing to spend money should put a floor on how bad a team can be.  It doesn't guarantee success but as long as you don't have a Mike Milbury & Charles Wang combo, you should avoid an Islanders situation.

The Scoundrel of Nottingham.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

And Quinn taking over and being a Coach/GM again.