The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Hypothetical] Who should replace Travis Green?

Rate this topic

Ilya Mikheyev

Who should replace Green as coach?  

203 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

But he at least makes the playoffs…..

He also took a 6-14-1 team  in his rookie coaching year to 37–17–7

He was the fastest coach in the modern era to get 200 wins and also the fastest coach to be re=hired after being fired

He probably has too much on his table to consider this ?

Why would a coach come in knowing the GM position isn't safe, knowing a new GM may have his own guy he wants to work with?

On 11/17/2021 at 11:07 PM, ba;;isticsports said:

He also took a 6-14-1 team  in his rookie coaching year to 37–17–7

He was the fastest coach in the modern era to get 200 wins and also the fastest coach to be re=hired after being fired

He probably has too much on his table to consider this ?

Why would a coach come in knowing the GM position isn't safe, knowing a new GM may have his own guy he wants to work with?

It's true he may not wanna come. But in his interview with the Athletic last year, he seemed pretty keen to coach and not wait around. Give him the interim title and see what BB can do with these players for the season

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Would love to add Boudreau. 

Then again, I might even take Willie D back of it meant Green was gone.

Fans just want playoffs. I'm not even worried about contending, just get to the dance first. And Boudreau teams make the playoffs.

Not this season of course, we're sunk, but I could see him getting us there next season. 

Anyone has to be better than Green. Another step in the right direction according to him tonight. WTF? He’s got a .482 coaching record into his fifth season, who else has had that sort of record after four seasons and been retained? The worst thing is that tonight, the Canucks have an even worse record than at the same mark of last season, let that sink in for a moment. Ownership seem content to flush another season and walk Bo & JT to UFA with this rabble. Change needs to come soon or they’ll likely lose those two and potentially Brock. Where to then? 

On 11/12/2021 at 11:02 AM, aGENT said:

IMO Shaw as interim coach and revisit in the offseason/as better candidates become available,. As none of those options really look like much/any actual improvement, just change.

Then maybe hope someone good shakes loose elsewhere or Quenneville goes in to counseling, does a bunch of ongoing charitable work to promote safe and fair play in sport and raises money to help victims to make himself remotely hire-able again.

Quenville is done.  He's nuclear at this point, and don't see him being a HHOF coach anymore for awhile at least yet.   

As far as the rest goes Shaw is a reasonable expectation.   Something is off with the team right now and fresh eyes no matter who those come from is probably the only thing that will save the season.   BB was great last year - this year he's not the same.   EP ... man.   This is tough because i do think the effort is there, but the results are not and a coaching change is the easiest thing to manage.   TG was an exceptional WHL coach which is how he got the Utica job.   It's not like he didn't put the time in because he actually did.   A long time assistant, and took the head coaching WHL job by the horns and ran with it.   And did some good things for our AHL team as well so i'm not buying into this crap that he's all of a sudden a terrible coach - he belongs behind the bench at some level anyways.    His career could also be on the line if he can't turn things around though - OR he isn't fired soon.   

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Melbourne Canuck said:

Anyone has to be better than Green. Another step in the right direction according to him tonight. WTF? He’s got a .482 coaching record into his fifth season, who else has had that sort of record after four seasons and been retained? The worst thing is that tonight, the Canucks have an even worse record than at the same mark of last season, let that sink in for a moment. Ownership seem content to flush another season and walk Bo & JT to UFA with this rabble. Change needs to come soon or they’ll likely lose those two and potentially Brock. Where to then? 

The team isn't as bad as our record so throwing the baby out with the bath water isn't a good idea.   At least yet.   Whatever Linden wanted to do has to be better then this though.   I've of a mind to either let this play out (which will end up with a complete house cleaning) or try a new coach.   Either or almost certainly will lead to change.    Also think that fans need to start accepting a re-set, unless by some miracle either TG and the team turn it around (which i don't think is out of the question) or a new coach does the same.    New management will quite likely will see whatever is going on and make roster changes .... that includes BB, EP, Horvat and Miller at this point.   Maybe even a clean slate.   Hate that this is where we are at with such a young team.   But it is what it is and i can suffer through it again.   6 firsts and 3 second rounders .... that's what these guys are worth (plus bad cap back just so we can ice a team!).  And i'd stagger them over the next three years and hope to find fringe /lottery teams so they won't get wasted.   

Edit.  Lou ... "we tried really really hard to get the first overall pick"   Maybe that's where we need to go 

Edited by IBatch

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Quenville is done.  He's nuclear at this point, and don't see him being a HHOF coach anymore for awhile at least yet.   

As far as the rest goes Shaw is a reasonable expectation.   Something is off with the team right now and fresh eyes no matter who those come from is probably the only thing that will save the season.   BB was great last year - this year he's not the same.   EP ... man.   This is tough because i do think the effort is there, but the results are not and a coaching change is the easiest thing to manage.   TG was an exceptional WHL coach which is how he got the Utica job.   It's not like he didn't put the time in because he actually did.   A long time assistant, and took the head coaching WHL job by the horns and ran with it.   And did some good things for our AHL team as well so i'm not buying into this crap that he's all of a sudden a terrible coach - he belongs behind the bench at some level anyways.    His career could also be on the line if he can't turn things around though - OR he isn't fired soon.   

Agree Quenneville is 'nuclear''. He is also by FAR the best coach available. As I said, he'd need to do a LOT of penance to make that even a REMOTE possibility. Though I'm warming up to Boudreau as an option. The rest of the current available group is meh to blech though (sweet jebus, no more Babcock endorsements people!)

Also agree that Green is probably a better coach than it appears here, right now. But they need to change SOMETHING with this group and he's likely the easiest, most logical move. The team needs some sort of swift kick in its collective keister. A new coach might be it.

Edited by aGENT

On 11/13/2021 at 6:43 PM, Got the Babych said:

Yeah, I guess. They made it to the finals, was that a grinding team? Was Markstrom the backstop that year? Honest questions, wasn't paying much attention to Utica.

Key is that they made it to the Finals and lost.  Willie Desjardins actually won a championship in the AHL as a head coach.  Won a memorial Cup as a head coach.  But that doesn’t always translate to success to the NHL.  Travis Green as a head coach achievements?  He participated lol.

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

The team isn't as bad as our record so throwing the baby out with the bath water isn't a good idea.   At least yet.   Whatever Linden wanted to do has to be better then this though.   I've of a mind to either let this play out (which will end up with a complete house cleaning) or try a new coach.   Either or almost certainly will lead to change.    Also think that fans need to start accepting a re-set, unless by some miracle either TG and the team turn it around (which i don't think is out of the question) or a new coach does the same.    New management will quite likely will see whatever is going on and make roster changes .... that includes BB, EP, Horvat and Miller at this point.   Maybe even a clean slate.   Hate that this is where we are at with such a young team.   But it is what it is and i can suffer through it again.   6 firsts and 3 second rounders .... that's what these guys are worth (plus bad cap back just so we can ice a team!).  And i'd stagger them over the next three years and hope to find fringe /lottery teams so they won't get wasted.   

Edit.  Lou ... "we tried really really hard to get the first overall pick"   Maybe that's where we need to go 

We’re not that young on the blueline though.  OEL, Myers and Hamonic are all two years *OLDER* than Edler was when Jim Benning first became GM of the Canucks.  That’s three out of our top four D.  

I don’t like the interim coach -tag on anyone. We need to look at out options and make a move if we want to even have a chance going forward. 

The issue in my mind are (and have been) King and Baumer. But no good will come from changing the help and keeping Travis. And same goes the other way around. We need a total change. Brad Shaw is the one guy on the bench that I’d like to see keeping his job at this point.

But then again I have no clue as to how they are going to turn this around. Looks so dreadful at the moment.

Anytime Guy Boucher gets mentioned , the infamous Philly clip gets played.

But remember. Guy Boucher's Lightning , swept Ovechkins Capitals 4 games to zero , in the playoffs that year. How do you argue with that ?

Guy Boucher came from the Q just like AV did. They both know how to and when to trap. I don't think Green knows what the trap is.

Edited by MaxVerstappen33

6 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Anytime Guy Boucher gets mentioned , the infamous Philly clip gets played.

But remember. Guy Boucher's Lightning , swept Ovechkins Capitals 4 games to zero , in the playoffs that year. How do you argue with that ?

Guy Boucher came from the Q just like AV did. They both know how to and when to trap. I don't think Green knows what the trap is.

Of course he knows what it is since we're always trapped in our zone.

• Haha 2

So, here's my take on where we are right now. I think that this team is really close to making drastic changes to management, but I don't think anything is immanent. They are heading out on a 5 game road trip, but I would say that all teams are beatable. If we come back from this trip with less than 3 wins, 2 losses, I think Benning will be gone and that whoever is tapped to replace him, will immediately start looking at replacement coaching.

I still think we have a generally good management team, but that doesn't mean that the team hasn't tuned them out. It happens.