The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cancel Culture Srikes Again

6 minutes ago, buddhahoodlum said:

Ah yes, let's  take away Canadian citizenship from those whose viewpoints Alf doesn't agree with. That's not authoritarian at all. 

There's disagreement, and there's being a neo-Nazi piece of trash.  Southern should have been locked up for her hate speech, and she would not be allowed into Canada without Canadian citizenship.  Those moaning about holding scum like her accountable also are usually the first ones to want ISIS fighters to lose their citizenship.

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Why did these idiots adopt the “okay” sign for their secret handshake?  Is there no way we can send these losers packing to the land of freedumb USA?  

Don't you know, Alf?  This is the 666 hand signal of the Illuminati to go along with the all seeing eye triangle hand signal.

15 minutes ago, Hamhuis Hip Check said:

She is the definition of she aint pretty she just looks that way

Nice reference to the Northern Pikes.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

The people yelling "cancel culture" when these people are "cancelled" are awfully quiet with examples of "cancel culture" from their side/supporters.  Like  this from a few days ago:

https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/some-right-it-s-time-revisit-book-banning-burning-n1283724

For some on the right, it's time to revisit book banning (and burning)

A county school board in Virginia directed staff to remove LGBTQ books. Some board members wanted to "burn" them. It's part of a larger pattern.
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, King Heffy said:

University has a right to not give these lunatics a platform.

They have the right to go hold this anywhere that will take them, so its not really a free speech issue, they don't need UBC for that.

You might be able to make a hate speech argument here tho.

Edited by JM_
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, JM_ said:

no they don't. They have the right to go hold this anywhere that will take them, so its not really a free speech issue, they don't need UBC for that.

Editing required?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

They have the right to go hold this anywhere that will take them, so its not really a free speech issue, they don't need UBC for that.

It’s “stupid speech”.  

• Cheers 1

I mean, big Canadian media never used the word "mass graves" when talking about the unmarked graves, people brought their own ideas and misconceptions into it along with foreign media using the phrase "mass graves," but I think 99% of Canadians who care enough know that these weren't "mass graves."

That's ignoring all of the other, uh, talking points the group had. Usually groups like this put some amount of sanity in their little spiels to try to get you to listen.

10 minutes ago, JM_ said:

it is, but I do think if UBC allowed the idiotic grave stuff to go ahead, they could be accused of helping to promote hate speech.

These are stupid people, and we don’t want them in our city, Province, or Country.  They can go to Texas and Florida

• Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

These are stupid people, and we don’t want them in our city, Province, or Country.  They can go to Texas and Florida

they're free to hold their stupid rallies, with other stupid people, from people who want to rent them space. Price of free speech.

But I do think they are getting very close to hate speech, I'd dig deeper but then I'd have to spent time on them, which I already know I don't want to.

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

The people yelling "cancel culture" when these people are "cancelled" are awfully quiet with examples of "cancel culture" from their side/supporters.  Like  this from a few days ago:

https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/some-right-it-s-time-revisit-book-banning-burning-n1283724

For some on the right, it's time to revisit book banning (and burning)

A county school board in Virginia directed staff to remove LGBTQ books. Some board members wanted to "burn" them. It's part of a larger pattern.

The right was cancel culture before it was a term. Remember Tipper Gore? 

https://www.businessinsider.com/35-years-pmrc-rock-lyrics-senate-tipper-gore-frank-zappa-2020-9

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1