The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

FIRE Jim Benning & Travis Green Thread

Rate this topic

Sanford

Obviously very different circumstances, but I remember Alain Vigneault coaching a very defensive style in his first couple of years here, and then transitioning to a more offensive style as we added talented players. He was able to adapt his style to the players he had. It seems to me that Green coaches a similar style no matter who his players are, and almost forces players to adapt to him rather than the other way around.

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

nope still not a fan of this. i'm sick and tired of these 0 nhl head coaching experience coaches.. imagine if shaw does ok and then the team promotes him to hc.. honeymoon over same crap again next year. no thx.

You do know the purpose of an “interim” coach, right? It’s the only acceptable option at this point as Benning should be fired too and no way should he be trusted to hire another 5 year coach.

There is a bit of a difference between a guy with 0 experience on an NHL bench when hired, like Green, and a guy with 20 plus years as an NHL assistant coach becoming the interim head coach.

Edited by wallstreetamigo

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

nope still not a fan of this. i'm sick and tired of these 0 nhl head coaching experience coaches.. imagine if shaw does ok and then the team promotes him to hc.. honeymoon over same crap again next year. no thx.

He was the head coach for the NYI for 36 games back in 2005. So technically has has more than 0 head coaching experience. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Like I said, they never INTENTIONALLY rebuilt. They simply sucked hard at retooling every year. 

The COVID excuse is one you can’t have both ways. The bubble year they only got into the playoffs because the season was shut down early. The next year, they sucked all year BEFORE the COVID outbreak. What’s your excuse for that?

They played well against St Louis but let’s be fair, STL played like crap that series. They then got absolutely dominated by Vegas and only god like goaltending got them out of a 5 game wrecking in that series. 

Trading for Miller was good. Trading for Toffoli and letting him walk? Not so good. OEL and Garland are fine but he also traded short term cap problems for the potential of long term ones with OEL. We won’t know the outcome of that for awhile. 

The signing (crappy) veterans to provide leadership certainly didn’t create a winning culture did it? This team right now has a losing culture and has for all of Benning’s time here. And your post highlights why. Our gm, coach, and players also make excuses blaming outside factors rather than looking in the mirror and taking accountability. 

I'll let you in on a secret: "Rebuilding" is mostly a fan term. 

• Wat 1
  • RoughGame 1

6 minutes ago, Nave said:

I'll let you in on a secret: "Rebuilding" is mostly a fan term. 

No it’s not. It’s a distinctly different overall strategy than a retool. 

I’ll let you in on a secret. Trying to make the playoffs every year by signing over the hill vets to overpaid contracts to retool works a lot better when those players are actually good.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

You do know the purpose of an “interim” coach, right? It’s the only acceptable option at this point as Benning should be fired too and no way should he be trusted to hire another 5 year coach.

There is a bit of a difference between a guy with 0 experience on an NHL bench when hired, like Green, and a guy with 20 plus years as an NHL assistant coach becoming the interim head coach.

so i guess it's ok to get rid of the only competant assistant coach at the moment then? Shaw have done well with the defense so far this season. so you promote him and the team does mediocre. and then you fire him too? coz rarely you see interim coach gets demoted back to an assistant.. they either stay as a permanent coach or straight up let go.

How accurate is sekeres usually? His latest tweet seems to indicate high level meetings at the club and speculates on another as well as possible changes. Hopefully he’s right because the organisation has sat idle for too long IMO. Green to go & if things don’t turn soon after JB too. Personally I’d be ok with both going but either way, the shake up needs to occur soon. 

6 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

"Coach Green stats
AHL
155-110-27-12
NHL 
130-141 and 34 overtime loses.
His systems work better in the AHL"

It could be that he has never had enough talent at NHL level. Even us fans can see the short comings of this team. 

Eventually Green will get replaced but I hope they start at the top. Let the new guy decide from there.

Lets just hope they hire someone with a proven record and then get out of the way.

just sign the checks.

3 hours ago, Melbourne Canuck said:

How accurate is sekeres usually? His latest tweet seems to indicate high level meetings at the club and speculates on another as well as possible changes. Hopefully he’s right because the organisation has sat idle for too long IMO. Green to go & if things don’t turn soon after JB too. Personally I’d be ok with both going but either way, the shake up needs to occur soon. 

Sekeres is a leech.  He's from Ottawa, and wants us to do poorly.  Hopefully he goes back.  

• Cheers 2

Sounds like this three game home stand and the fans will determine Jb/ greens fate.like more proof of incompetence is actually needed.lol. both are flat out terrible at there jobs. 5 years of greens trash 8 years of Jb pathetic excuses for failing. 
yeah a three game home stand should be the difference….. 
looks like owners want fans opinion live on TV I hope those at the game give the. What they want. 

Looking forward to here.chants of  FIRE Benning   It’s Long over due.

To bad coward owners won’t just make the move with out embarrassing the GM and coach. 
isn’t a story or report that sees either green or Jb surviving this disaster.  

if fans at the game really want to deliver a message 

FIRE AQUALLINI  should be the chant, 

Edited by combover
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

3 hours ago, appleboy said:

It could be that he has never had enough talent at NHL level. Even us fans can see the short comings of this team. 

Eventually Green will get replaced but I hope they start at the top. Let the new guy decide from there.

Lets just hope they hire someone with a proven record and then get out of the way.

just sign the checks.

So much media attacking "the top". 

Let's just keep it simple for now and change the coach. 

3 hours ago, appleboy said:

just sign the checks.

The problem is he isn't a talented enough coach to belong in the NHL. Can't set the lineup, idiotic systems, team consistently unprepared, historically bad special teams, loyal to incompetent assistants, won't take any accountability.  He does literally no part of his job well.

We need to get this piece of garbage away from our players as soon as possible before he causes even more damage.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

so i guess it's ok to get rid of the only competant assistant coach at the moment then? Shaw have done well with the defense so far this season. so you promote him and the team does mediocre. and then you fire him too? coz rarely you see interim coach gets demoted back to an assistant.. they either stay as a permanent coach or straight up let go.

There are lots of examples of assistant coaches going back to being assistants after stints as interim head coaches. Whether he earns the full time job or not, Shaw should be kept on. He is our only good coach atm other than Clark.

Nothing says hey we value you as a coach more than telling a guy he is too valuable as an assistant coach to be the interim head coach. 

Edited by wallstreetamigo