The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Francesco Aquilini To meet with Jim Benning today

Rate this topic

cuporbust

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

That should have been done behind closed doors on the road trip,  No one in their right mind sees the BS Green is pulling and considers that suitable for continued employment.  Aquilini and Benning could have figured this out in Vegas and told Green not to get on the flight back home, giving themselves a couple of days to line up an actual coach.

Negotiations for a new coach take more than a couple days. A couple weeks more likely.

As desperate as Boudreau, Julien, or Babcock might be to get back in the game, there will still be back and forth negotiation just like with players. Not to mention some coaches may not want to come here and you have to go down your list.

Then even once you identify your new coach you need time for them to identify their assistants and get them signed. So as much as people want things to happen quick these things take time.

At the very least I hope they have a short list of coaches that they can move quickly on if they in fact are giving it a bit more time.

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Negotiations for a new coach take more than a couple days. A couple weeks more likely.

As desperate as Boudreau, Julien, or Babcock might be to get back in the game, there will still be back and forth negotiation just like with players. Not to mention some coaches may not want to come here and you have to go down your list.

Then even once you identify your new coach you need time for them to identify their assistants and get them signed. So as much as people want things to happen quick these things take time.

At the very least I hope they have a short list of coaches that they can move quickly on if they in fact are giving it a bit more time.

They could put the position up on Indeed and get better qualified applicants than Green.  Realistically this process should have started immediately after training camp when Green decided to cause permanent damage to the team with his cuts.  At the very least, an interim coach such as Shaw should be appointed for the remainder of the search process.  Aquilini is hurting the value of the franchise by allowing the incompetent clown he has for a coach to continue being allowed on the premises.

Pay whatever price it takes to convince an actual NHL coach.  The cost of keeping Green and crippling the team with his incompetence will be greater due to the lack of playoff revenue.

• Wat 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

They could put the position up on Indeed and get better qualified applicants than Green.  Realistically this process should have started immediately after training camp when Green decided to cause permanent damage to the team with his cuts.  At the very least, an interim coach such as Shaw should be appointed for the remainder of the search process.  Aquilini is hurting the value of the franchise by allowing the incompetent clown he has for a coach to continue being allowed on the premises.

Pay whatever price it takes to convince an actual NHL coach.  The cost of keeping Green and crippling the team with his incompetence will be greater due to the lack of playoff revenue.

I don’t completely disagree I just don’t think their plan involves firing everyone but Shaw and leaving him all the responsibility.

The best course of action is to have your replacement ready to go IMO. As bad as Green may be, I don’t think Shaw running the show on his own is better.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I don’t completely disagree I just don’t think their plan involves firing everyone but Shaw and leaving him all the responsibility.

The best course of action is to have your replacement ready to go IMO. As bad as Green may be, I don’t think Shaw running the show on his own is better.

I think Shaw has enough vets on the roster that they can help out, such as Miller and OEL.  The Sedins can also help out temporarily.  It's far from ideal, but I think that Green's enough of a cancer that the team would be better off without a coach at all; no one in their right mind would have any respect for that scumbag after he threw the team under the bus and refused to take any responsibility for the team being poorly prepared.  Shaw has at least proven he belongs in the NHL.

2 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol all these years laughing at the coilers and their fans and we turned into a worse version of them 

We didn't have the first round picks they did...it's a little different.  In a 7 year span they had 4 number one picks, a 3rd, 4th and a 7th.  

Shows it still doesn't mean a thing and can be a slow drag to get there.

• Cheers 4

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

We would need 7 total top 3 picks in 9 years (or so) for that to happen first ;) 

Did the oilers celebrate winning streaks with 10 games left that ruined their chances at getting first over all’s. 
i know it was pre lottery but they traded vets added picks and made sure they got first. 
Jb so worried that he was making a playoff push when we weren’t a playoff team let veterans leave for free was excited to see winning streaks that ruined our draft position 

so we took a different route to and they want us to celebrate and support mediocrity. 
no thanks. 

• Huggy Bear 1

I would really like to understand what is wrong with Petey. The guy can't stand up. We have seen this before but it is concerning . When he struggles he seems to try to get physically involved and that ain't his game. He isn't finding open ice. When he is on he finds open ice or creates it for his team mates.

I think hope he is just trying to hard. 

24 minutes ago, appleboy said:

I would really like to understand what is wrong with Petey. The guy can't stand up. We have seen this before but it is concerning . When he struggles he seems to try to get physically involved and that ain't his game. He isn't finding open ice. When he is on he finds open ice or creates it for his team mates.

He also seems to have lost a step.  He hasn't been the most stable skater since coming to the NHL, but he used to be fast.  Last game he got tracked down from behind by a Dman on a near breakaway pass.  I know it's hard to develop upper body strength while you're rehabbing a serious wrist injury, but you can still work on your legs.  He should have Marcel Dionne sized thighs after a summer when pretty much all he could work was lower body.

Edited by canuckleheads fan
  • Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Green is wrong with Petey.  When your head coach's only means of trying to get you going is to give you new linemates every shift and throw you under the bus when you don't produce, it would kill your confidence too,

It’s 

Petey’s fault!  Get out the pitchforks.  

Some Canuck fans need to relax, and be thankful we have some great young players.  Patience is a virtue.  I sure hope our owner is patient.  Don’t be like some of our fans, and be stupid beyond stupid and very stupid and super stupid and turn our his best young players.  

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It’s 

Petey’s fault!  Get out the pitchforks.  

Some Canuck fans need to relax, and be thankful we have some great young players.  Patience is a virtue.  I sure hope our owner is patient.  Don’t be like some of our fans, and be stupid beyond stupid and very stupid and super stupid and turn our his best young players.  

I'm still ready to pitchfork the coach. But you are correct about the young players. EP obviously failed the off season training test. He's such a competitor I believe he learns from his mistakes and will have a different approach next off season. 

If Canucks special teams weren’t this bad there wouldn’t be all this crap happening. The Horrible PK and PP just destroy all confidence and it snowballs into everything being Sht.

The absolute minimum an easiest is Special Team coaching staff being replaced and overhauled. Jason King i would think is replaceable. 

i still got hope…for the season and team. Fix the Special teams and the rest will straighten itself out.

Go Canucks Go

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

If Canucks special teams weren’t this bad there wouldn’t be all this crap happening. The Horrible PK and PP just destroy all confidence and it snowballs into everything being Sht.

The absolute minimum an easiest is Special Team coaching staff being replaced and overhauled. Jason King i would think is replaceable. 

i still got hope…for the season and team. Fix the Special teams and the rest will straighten itself out.

Go Canucks Go

So Green would magically learn how to set the lineup properly, motivate his players, implement effective 5 on 5 strategies, and start taking responsibility when the team isn't prepared?  I'm not buying it.,  None of Green, Baumer, or King have done anything to suggest they are suited to coach hockey at any level.

• Wat 1

14 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Green is wrong with Petey.  When your head coach's only means of trying to get you going is to give you new linemates every shift and throw you under the bus when you don't produce, it would kill your confidence too,

I am not sure what you do for a guy that has lost his confidence.  Some times switching things up helps.

He needs a big game or two.

• Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, appleboy said:

22 minutes ago, canuckleheads fan said:

He also seems to have lost a step.  He hasn't been the most stable skater since coming to the NHL, but he used to be fast.  Last game he got tracked down from behind by a Dman on a near breakaway pass.  I know it's hard to develop upper body strength while you're rehabbing a serious wrist injury, but you can still work on your legs.  He should have Marcel Dionne sized thighs after a summer when pretty much all he could work was lower body.

He simply didn't do the work this summer. Brainfart? Immaturity? Cockyness? Who knows. The real test will be next fall. If he comes back like this again, this team will be looking for the hole to fill at top line center. 

Edited by rekker
  • Cheers 1

So Aqua-man called a meating to find out why the changes that he gave the OK to aren't working. I thought he talked daily with Jim?

LOL

It is a shame they can't call a mulligan and go back 8 years and do a proper rebuild.

Edited by appleboy