The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Francesco Aquilini To meet with Jim Benning today

Rate this topic

cuporbust

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hello!  McFly!  Can you say first overall multiple times?  I knew you could.  Not to mention McPimple.  

The same McFly who the Oilers were finishing bottom 10 with because Chiarelli was awful?

Also, Hall and Yakupov (or the assets they were traded for) aren't even on the roster at the moment. It's not like those first overall picks had any bearing on Edmonton's new management or their roster today.

Edited by Josepho

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Benning actually has value to this team, Green has zero value.  Benning seems to me like he might be best suited as a wingman like he was in Boston.  He probably would perform much better with less responsibility.  A new President who can oversee everything might work out best and have Benning as his right hand man, so Benning isn't the one actually pulling the trigger on the trades but is heavily involved in scouting and the draft.  The President can also hire a guy who is just in charge of the cap and salaries.  This was the arrangement under Burke and Gillis when Burke had Nonis and Gillis had Gillman.  

who is actually going to accept this plan?

Benning?

Hey Jimmer, you kinda stunk up the joint as Prez and GM, so we want to offer you a demotion

Its kind of funny cuz that is what the team did to Pat Quinn as well.

But how about the new guy?

Hey new Guy we are offering you a position at the helm of a turn key operation, complete with baggage left from the previous crew 

again, who is going to accept this offer?

If I am coming in to "right this ship" I don't want Benning , Weisbrod, the Sedins or the Aquafamily looking over my shoulder or advising me

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, appleboy said:

I am not sure what you do for a guy that has lost his confidence.  Some times switching things up helps.

He needs a big game or two.

but that is why the constant line blender is a bad tactic

sometimes you need the blender to shake things up

when yo burn it out by using it every game, its not useful when you actually need it to get players attention

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

4 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

It's interesting, how many fans, think there's going to suddenly be a change in management and coaching. Trying to decide if it's funny or not..... :emot-parrot:

Coaching changes happen all the time in the NHL, just not for the Canucks

46 minutes ago, -Moose said:

Coaching changes happen all the time in the NHL, just not for the Canucks

For all the talk about how hungry the ownership is for playoffs their actions never seem to match their words.

Seems to me they’re fine throwing away season after season in a never ending “retool”. I get that building a championship team requires patience but at the same time it requires some level of progress.

I don’t understand what plan Benning keeps selling them. Like he’s made a few good picks in the draft and a couple good trades. Is that enough to make them believe in the plan?

• Cheers 2

People! Head coaches in the NHL are just simple people keeping the team together, doing simple things.

By the time your one of the very few in the world that make the NHL you already know how to play. If you have a good career it's because your good. If your a Virtanen it's because your not good. Has nothing to do with the coach. 

Anybody can coach a Tampa team. Because there good!!! 

We are not good!!! 

Green would be a Stanly Cup champ X2 if he was on the bolts. 

Glen Sather always said all I have to do is show up and pretend I'm writing something down on a note pad. 

Bring in whatever coach you want. Guess what? 

Our defence sucks! Our "top" players are not what we thought. 

Pat Quinn, Bowman, Trozz, together cannot make a bad team good. 

I got flambayed by many this summer when I replied to a post saying our center depth is weak and our defence is a joke. 

When your right your right. 

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

For all the talk about how hungry the ownership is for playoffs their actions never seem to match their words.

Seems to me they’re fine throwing away season after season in a never ending “retool”. I get that building a championship team requires patience but at the same time it requires some level of progress.

I don’t understand what plan Benning keeps selling them. Like he’s made a few good picks in the draft and a couple good trades. Is that enough to make them believe in the plan?

I was listening to and agreed with something today that made the point it's essentially the Boeser, Pettersson and Hughes picks that have kept Benning alive this long.

Obviously anyone could/would have made the Hughes pick.

I think it's interesting that (to some extent) Boeser and (more acutely) Pettersson sucking are also potentially finally taking him down.

• Vintage 1

5 hours ago, canuckleheads fan said:

I will agree with the reaction to OEL's jumping in on McNabb.  That took guts, McNabb's a big dude and he's tough, but you have to stick up for the young guys, or they're going to start to turtle thinking nobody has their back.  I will also agree that Madison Bowey has proven in the past two games why he is a career AHLer.  Hunt is likewise awful, especially if his partner isn't great in the defensive zone.  I will disagree with your assessment of Burroughs, I think he's been quite good in the bottom pairing, especially considering that when he played during the last homestand with Hamonic he was forced to play his off side.  I thought he was far better defensively than Rathbone, as when they got scored it, it was almost always Rathbone's mistake in coverage, plus Burroughs hits people.  If he played every night, he'd be easily lead the team in hits.  His play, along with OEL, Podz, Hogs, and Garland keeps me tuning in, even though I expect they're going to lose every game I watch. 

I have always been a big supporter of JB and Green, but unfortunately something is NOT working, and they're going to have to make a move.  They should fire Green and Baumer.  They should find a special teams oriented coach to come in and fix the PP/PK.  I'd like to give Shaw a chance as interim head coach, I know he's been a finalist for other head coaching jobs, lets see if he can rally the troops and right the ship!  I doubt that at this point in the season management is going to find, much less want to pay the $ for an experienced top tier NHL coach to come in and fix this mess.

Oh I agree. Burroughs has been a pleasant surprise. But when you get Hamonic and Poolman out of the lineup, Burroughs gets forced to play a bigger role and that's what I meant by out of his depth. 

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

What makes you think he has a plan?

3 hours ago, Vancan2021 said:

People! Head coaches in the NHL are just simple people keeping the team together, doing simple things.

By the time your one of the very few in the world that make the NHL you already know how to play. If you have a good career it's because your good. If your a Virtanen it's because your not good. Has nothing to do with the coach. 

We are not good!!! 

Glen Sather always said all I have to do is show up and pretend I'm writing something down on a note pad. 

I got flambayed by many this summer when I replied to a post saying our center depth is weak and our defence is a joke. 

You have no clue of the value of a good coach/leader/boss, no Green would not have any cups anywhere else, he does not have what it takes to bring a team together and that is a skill cup winning coaches possess.

We are not good!!! 

So much fail in this.

We are not good!!! 

Flambayed for our C depth makes some sense.   L/C  EP/Miller  C Horvat.   RW/C Dickinson, C Sutter.    L/C Motte.   We have good C depth, it's what sustained us in the bubble too.   What's going on with EP and Dickinson doesn't help much.   And Sutter's recovery isn't helping us, last season he was again on pace for close to 20 goals as a bottom six guy.    But i do agree with the D.   It's an issue.   Didn't have to be as big an issue as it is though which is unfortunate.    Who the heck is going to kill penalties on the L side when OEL is in the box for one.   Pretty much an automatic goal.   Management and the coach both are culpable there.    Our forward depth lost Lind then Gadj...ugh. Two of our home grown fringe guys.   Highmore...Pétan Chiasson.   Wow guess what - turns out Beagle, AR and LE even were important in the one are that's really killed us this year.    Not on Green that Motte and Sutter aren't back, nor is it that  Poolman/Myers simply suck together on the PP.   WNP worst PK last year - duh why should we think that's going to work.   Rathbone over OJ?  Well if OJ is so "bad" how the heck could we trade him when Florida could have just picked him up on waivers?   OJ Myers was our most stable pairing as far as NOT getting scored on last year ... guess management missed the memo.  

And hoping Hamonic would save us ... well our 5 x 5 was fine until the last three games ... and sure that would give that a bump - but he was our worst PKer last season statistically.    The only paring we have really is OEL Myers - which is a little above average overall 5 x 5 advanced stats say, and they are also not too terrible when together on the PK.  But when either is in the box or if they split them up because well no player can kill 2 minutes 3/4 times a game (a second unit is required) ... guess what?  We get scored on.   TG is so desperate he tried QHs and COL scored 2/3.   Ugh.  

And the funny thing is Burroughs is our best PKer in limited sample size with Myers.   Wonder if that's just luck...or if management noticed this ... there is a day old article that covers all of this.  

And finally Dickinson has not at all come as advertised - which is a mature Motte deal.   Didn't expect face off wizardry, but did expect a solid PK forward.   28% in the dot on the PK in our zone isn't 45% career average.    This article says he's so distressed over the PK he's actually losing sleep over it.    It's a freaking mess.   That's for sure not all on Green.   

25 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

So much fail in this.

Fail as in he's right?  A new coach ain't going to fix our D he's correct.   Maybe Trotz could give us an average PK at best ... Poolman sucked in WNP at this.   We have no LHD PK and we entered the pre-season in a position of strength on this front.    OJ/Myers was our best and safest unit last season in a limited sample size...Bag skate hates fitness - exile him.  Hamonic was our worst PKer last season statistically.    Who would have thought - no Edler, AR, Beagle, Sutter, Motte and heck even our worst PKer for a lot of games would turn into this.    Guess it's not as easy as it looks, and league min guys don't automatically slot in as good, average or even below average PKers.    Plus Dickinson, probably our safest signing because he actually did well in Dallas at this ... just sucks so far too. 

3 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Oh I agree. Burroughs has been a pleasant surprise. But when you get Hamonic and Poolman out of the lineup, Burroughs gets forced to play a bigger role and that's what I meant by out of his depth. 

Burroughs has technically been our best PKer in a limited sample size.   Think he's the only D that hasn't been actually scored on yet.   He's better then all the new faces that make what he does or even Dickinson.   Yes a small win there.  Like Motte was or even Stetcher. 

1 hour ago, theochar said:

And this:

Ok...so in this paridoy Brian et al are the fans ... and all the Canucks ever brought us is well...the chance to even write this post lol.   Great job theochar.    That said like your first post above, off with their heads!