The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Francesco Aquilini To meet with Jim Benning today

Rate this topic

cuporbust

25 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Attendance is going to plummet after the first home loss. 

or not, if season ticket holders fire sale their seats. We got two for under 70 bucks (total, not each).

I don't mind someone else losing money so I can go support the boys on the cheap :towel:

Edited by JM_
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, JM_ said:

or not, if season ticket holders fire sale their seats. We got two for under 70 bucks (total, not each).

I don't mind someone else losing money so I can go support the boys on the cheap :towel:

Imagine how bad the team would be for tickets to get that low.  
Would you even waste an evening on it at that point?    

• Vintage 1

Like it or not the canucks have just announced they are re entering the rebuild stage.

It's time to maximize assets and look at trading some players to rebuild for the.future

The canucks will not be playoff contenders for several years and our pending ufa's unlikely to want to remain. Most UFA' won't want to sign with a perennial rebuilding team unless they are over paid.

Thus it becomes imperative to ensure we aquire some top picks to be the new players In a a few years as we have little for prospects in the system now ( rhe best of them already are up )

I don't like it either but today's meeting just reinforced that the owners want players  who play to the coach and these for the most part are clearly not them

It's not a panic sell off but they need to stop letting assets walk for nothing and given this direction we can expect some players not wanting to stay as we become perennial.bottom feeders. 

Maybe ticket prices will drop so common working folks can go to games... even if it's a guarantee loss 

I mean it’s not like they were gonna announce changes coming after the meeting. I’m not sure Dregers tweet means a whole lot.

Whatever was discussed now has to be turned into a plan if they were in fact going to make changes. They would need time to conduct a proper coaching search if that’s what they came up with.

That would likely be done quietly behind closed doors. Similar to how Gallant was let go with the Knights and then already having Deboer lined up.

Im sure if a coaching change were in order they would want to have the replacement in line already. My guess is they’re not giving up on playoffs yet. The less time they have to have Shaw coach the team on his own the better.

2 hours ago, Down by the River said:

I'm not saying strip Bo or anything like that, but the reaction to OEL by fans certainly can't be any different to how his teammates reacted (i.e., they loved it). 

You can't ask anyone to be a good fighter. You can't ask them to be tougher than anyone else. But you can ask/expect them to stick up for their teammate, no matter how unsuccessful they were in their attempt. Did OEL get revenge on McNabb? Certainly not. Things did not go well for OEL... but I don't think that mattered to his teammates. It certainly didn't matter to fans.

In some ways I'm critical of Bo. But then again he is playing ~20 minutes a night, is the only guy taking faceoffs, and plays hard minutes. Maybe his just dead. Maybe he knows that the team can't afford to miss a shift. And this all comes down to roster construction. For example, fans can pick on Myers, but he'd be a fine #4 dman if this team had any depth on D. like 80% of the roster is playing higher up in the lineup than where they belong (especially because Petey/Boeser got demoted). Bowey is awful, Burroughs is out of his depth, Hunt is not defensively capable. There are just so many holes in this roster that the weaknesses of every player on the team get amplified. 

I will agree with the reaction to OEL's jumping in on McNabb.  That took guts, McNabb's a big dude and he's tough, but you have to stick up for the young guys, or they're going to start to turtle thinking nobody has their back.  I will also agree that Madison Bowey has proven in the past two games why he is a career AHLer.  Hunt is likewise awful, especially if his partner isn't great in the defensive zone.  I will disagree with your assessment of Burroughs, I think he's been quite good in the bottom pairing, especially considering that when he played during the last homestand with Hamonic he was forced to play his off side.  I thought he was far better defensively than Rathbone, as when they got scored it, it was almost always Rathbone's mistake in coverage, plus Burroughs hits people.  If he played every night, he'd be easily lead the team in hits.  His play, along with OEL, Podz, Hogs, and Garland keeps me tuning in, even though I expect they're going to lose every game I watch. 

I have always been a big supporter of JB and Green, but unfortunately something is NOT working, and they're going to have to make a move.  They should fire Green and Baumer.  They should find a special teams oriented coach to come in and fix the PP/PK.  I'd like to give Shaw a chance as interim head coach, I know he's been a finalist for other head coaching jobs, lets see if he can rally the troops and right the ship!  I doubt that at this point in the season management is going to find, much less want to pay the $ for an experienced top tier NHL coach to come in and fix this mess.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, D.B Cooper said:

Imagine how bad the team would be for tickets to get that low.  
Would you even waste an evening on it at that point?    

A few years ago you could get resells on StubHub for just over $20 US.  We'll be there by mid December at this rate. 

Francesco is the one guy who cuts guys off in meetings to say " So how is this going to make me money? Or " Hi, I'm francesco the vancouver canucks owner " Literally every time.

Spends to the cap regardless how good we are because he wants to look good money wise. Not the brightest apple in that family tree apparently 
Take it for what its worth but these are facts lol

Probably explains why our management team is never a bright spot, No smart guy seems to want to work for us as history shows since francesco took over

9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I mean it’s not like they were gonna announce changes coming after the meeting. I’m not sure Dregers tweet means a whole lot.

Whatever was discussed now has to be turned into a plan if they were in fact going to make changes. They would need time to conduct a proper coaching search if that’s what they came up with.

That would likely be done quietly behind closed doors. Similar to how Gallant was let go with the Knights and then already having Deboer lined up.

Im sure if a coaching change were in order they would want to have the replacement in line already. My guess is they’re not giving up on playoffs yet. The less time they have to have Shaw coach the team on his own the better.

That should have been done behind closed doors on the road trip,  No one in their right mind sees the BS Green is pulling and considers that suitable for continued employment.  Aquilini and Benning could have figured this out in Vegas and told Green not to get on the flight back home, giving themselves a couple of days to line up an actual coach.

6 hours ago, hlinkas wrister said:

Benning and Green should both get their walking papers, but given the amount of money that Francesco has lost these last 2 years it probably won't happen 

He made all his money back by betting against the Canucks in the 3 road games.

11 minutes ago, canuckleheads fan said:

I will agree with the reaction to OEL's jumping in on McNabb.  That took guts, McNabb's a big dude and he's tough, but you have to stick up for the young guys, or they're going to start to turtle thinking nobody has their back.  I will also agree that Madison Bowey has proven in the past two games why he is a career AHLer.  Hunt is likewise awful, especially if his partner isn't great in the defensive zone.  I will disagree with your assessment of Burroughs, I think he's been quite good in the bottom pairing, especially considering that when he played during the last homestand with Hamonic he was forced to play his off side.  I thought he was far better defensively than Rathbone, as when they got scored it, it was almost always Rathbone's mistake in coverage, plus Burroughs hits people.  If he played every night, he'd be easily lead the team in hits.  His play, along with OEL, Podz, Hogs, and Garland keeps me tuning in, even though I expect they're going to lose every game I watch. 

I have always been a big supporter of JB and Green, but unfortunately something is NOT working, and they're going to have to make a move.  They should fire Green and Baumer.  They should find a special teams oriented coach to come in and fix the PP/PK.  I'd like to give Shaw a chance as interim head coach, I know he's been a finalist for other head coaching jobs, lets see if he can rally the troops and right the ship!  I doubt that at this point in the season management is going to find, much less want to pay the $ for an experienced top tier NHL coach to come in and fix this mess.

Burroughs reminds me of Biega.  He's fine as a 7D.

13 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

They will make changes when the home crowed chant fire whomever, that's when aquaman will fire that person to which the crowed cheers the loudest to...but if they go on a 5 game winning streak. Then no firing will take place